You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

One player from our past to help us to success in the next seven (hopefully) games?

Fowler1972

We win our next seven games and I think we’ll all be reasonably content. If you could bring back one former red, while they were in their prime, to help us over the line who would it be?

Probably easy to say KMD, as our greatest ever player, but is his position where strengthening is required right now!

Yep

Yes, one from these two would probably be my choice as well.

There is an argument for another centre half to play alongside VVD (Hansen or Lawrenson probably) or Clemence for the nets.

If pushed I’ll go for Souness. His particular leadership qualities plus greater discipline in the defensive side of a midfielders game just edges it over Stevie for the games we have left. I’m not saying Souness was a better player overall, just thinking about the games left and what might be needed.

• Upvote 1

Xabi was a top class player, as was Stevie. However, Souness was different class. He wouldn't just have been a candidate for a world eleven, he would have been one of the first four or five names on the team sheet.

He soured his legacy somewhat as a manager, but after reading his book last week, I sympathised a little bit more. He inherited some fantastic players like Barnes, Rush, Whelan, Molby and Nicol and some very good ones like Houghton, Brucie and McMahon, but he had it stacked against him with injuries to a lot of those players and then bad decisions to sell some of them and replace them with absolute garbage. Those players were hitting 30 and it is debateable if they had the same desire they had a few years before. I hated him for the interview with the Sun, but he was an ill man who made a very bad mistake. I've made a few myself so I can't get too righteous. However, one can't doubt that he loves the club and for that reason and his incredible all round ability as a player, he is an absolute shoe-in for the last seven games.

** Kenny was the better player and is the greatest we ever had, but we have a top class attack already. The difference what Souey could do to our midfield though - in second and third for making the difference to us would be Jocky and Lawro. Both world class undoubtedly and would be boss beside VVD.

• Upvote 4

Our current best XI (without Can, who's injured for these games):

Karius

TAA  Lovren  VVD  Robertson

Henderson

AOC  Milner

Salah  Firmino  Mane

Maybe Gini for Hendo or Milner but it's close enough to our first XI, no? So then the question becomes where do we upgrade the most. For me it's down to the following choices:

Hansen for Lovren

Souness for Henderson

Gerrard for Milner

Sure, Dalglish and Barnes may be better than any of those but if you're looking to upgrade our current squad the front 3 are not where you're going to focus. I think I'm just about going to go with prime Souness for Henderson.

Any of the three are fine choices, but when it comes down to a final against Ronaldo and his minions, or Bayern and their skillful but delicate midfield I'm taking old Graeme to lay down a (legal-ish) marker against Thiago or Modric early doors and set the tone for us to overrun them in the centre of the park.

Xabi. We sometimes need to manage games better, and he'd help us immensely in that respect. Souness and Gerrard would be other prime candidates massively improving our CM.

It's probably the first time since 1993 that the answer to this question isn't John Barnes (for me, anyway), which to me speaks volumes about our wing/forward play.