You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What will be the next revolutionary tactic?

Jay86

I actually thought City should’ve given it a go in the second half.

Heh...

The whole libero idea takes two leaps of faith -- first for the system to be of any good - the fella himself has to be of the utmost quality -- that is not like one of the best around at the given moment. Germany has done it effectively with three players -- Beckenbauer, Matthuas and Sammer.

All arguably amongst the 10 or 20 best players ever to play in the back -- not even just in their generation, much less country or league -- ever.

I would love to play against a team like City with Otamendi or Stones trying to fill that role -- they would get shred.

Once you are beyond the fact you need a player no current team anywhere has - you need the fellas around him to have the highest tactical awareness -- so again a smorgasbord on the counter if you are suggesting Kyle Walker and the other daft fella could come close to providing this.

Beckenbauer, Matthaüs and feuerkopf where the ultimate liberos. It's a special breed that have the ability to play that, and it will be hard to find someone with the complete skillset these days to play it. I remember they tried with Augenthaler, who was a good defender but never really took to the libero role.

One I would have liked to see in that position a little later in his career although the 3-5-2 had died and Argentina nor Real or Milan never played the system was Redondo. He would have been a monster in that position. Unfortunately those damn knees of his gave up on him. But he would probably never have got to try it anyway.

• Upvote 2

I actually thought City should’ve given it a go in the second half.

Heh...

The whole libero idea takes two leaps of faith -- first for the system to be of any good - the fella himself has to be of the utmost quality -- that is not like one of the best around at the given moment. Germany has done it effectively with three players -- Beckenbauer, Matthuas and Sammer.

All arguably amongst the 10 or 20 best players ever to play in the back -- not even just in their generation, much less country or league -- ever.

I would love to play against a team like City with Otamendi or Stones trying to fill that role -- they would get shred.

Once you are beyond the fact you need a player no current team anywhere has - you need the fellas around him to have the highest tactical awareness -- so again a smorgasbord on the counter if you are suggesting Kyle Walker and the other daft fella could come close to providing this.

Schalke had some success with Olaf Thon playing the libero role. Sure he was very very good, but he wasn’t quite elite. I know City don’t have anyone close to the aforementioned liberos, but from I’ve read Laporte is a good ball playing CB so maybe worth trying him there. This is what I had in mind for City.

——————Ederson—————-

——————-Laporte—————-

———Otamendi——Stones——-

Walker——Fernandinho——Danilo

——-De Bruyne——Silva————

————-Jesus—Aguero————

Well they got squashed playing the side that has run away with the league and made Pep a modern genius - so I would be over the moon (see what I did there) playing against that set up - without either flank that has created all the space for DeBruyne/Silva.

Yes please.

You’re probably right Howie. I guess I just have a bit of a soft spot for that formation. You know I love my strikers too, this formation allows you to play two of them! Even though Firmino is proving me wrong each passing week.

Beckenbauer, Matthaüs and feuerkopf where the ultimate liberos. It's a special breed that have the ability to play that, and it will be hard to find someone with the complete skillset these days to play it. I remember they tried with Augenthaler, who was a good defender but never really took to the libero role.

One I would have liked to see in that position a little later in his career although the 3-5-2 had died and Argentina nor Real or Milan never played the system was Redondo. He would have been a monster in that position. Unfortunately those damn knees of his gave up on him. But he would probably never have got to try it anyway.

I’m not familiar with Feuekopf Johnlj. Literally “never heard of the cunt”.

I think it'll come full circle eventually, it's a constant arms race with various tactics evolving then those tactics being countered or negated leading to more evolution.

Soon the old tactics will be the best available countermeasure to the newest.

Flat back 4

Flat middle 4

Big man - Little man up front

• Upvote 1

I think it might be 2-3-2-3.

Barca were moving that way towards the end of last season as were Bayern.

"Il Metodo" was used by the Italians in the 1930's when they won 2 World Cups.

I think Liverpool are also playing a derivative of this formation at the moment.

van Dijk and another CB with high mobility as well as ball playing skills, two fullback / wing backs that have engines with a holding midfielder.

Two centre midfielders who are box to box. One with speed and strength, the other with high endurance who can link up quickly with the front three on the counter as well as break up play high up the pitch.

A front three who are fast, skilful, highly interchangeable and direct.

Five up front, five at the back with two either joining attacks (wingbacks) or two joining defence (higher midfielders).

Keita fits this mould. Rabiot would excel in it and we maybe sign a great ball playing centre back and a rapid forward to cover the front three and we are looking extremely strong.

• Upvote 4

Very good post Red4Life.

I was going to say something about the ball playing central defenders. The recent evolution has been pressing, to win the ball high up the pitch, and create chances based on the quick transition.

One counter to this is to have your deeper players able to be good on the ball so they can beat the press, either by playing around it or over it. VVD fits this to a tee. He’s very good on the ball. Lovren is not. He’s aggressive and has other attributes, but he’s only average on the ball, and that puts him in danger of being replaced.

Another development we are starting to see with teams who push up and press is that the goalkeepers need to be good on the ball too. Someone joked that Pep is experimenting with Rush goalie, and that’s not far off!

The goalkeepers who are good on the ball can play at the edge of their own box and are comfortable passing it around, almost like an outfield player.

Ball playing central defenders, and goalkeepers, especially for teams that press as a system. It’s a clear evolutionary step we’re seeing.

When I was a kid, playing for the school team, I used to come up with daft ideas as tactics.

Conceded an indirect free kick in the box? Have half the team hanging from the crossbar, waving their legs to block it.

Long free kick into the box? Get on a team mate's shoulders to win the header.

My greatest plan was a sort of rolling maul where everyone encircles the ball and trundles forwards with it. Weirdly, none of my ideas were employed.