You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What will be the next revolutionary tactic?

Jay86

I watched Footballs Greatest on Arrigo Sacchi last night and it got me thinking of what could be the next revolutionary manager and style of play?

He revolutionised Italian football and has helped to influence this generation of managers like Klopp and Guardiola etc

20 years ago Wenger came to England and based his team on power and pace and the rest of League wasn’t prepared for it so they dominated and overpowered almost all teams.

Then Mourinho and Benitez’s style of a defensive 4-2-3-1 which was essentially two separate teams, one defensive unit of 6 then 4 attackers dominated European football for the best part of a decade, teams weren’t prepared for that solidity at the back yet having a fluid front 4. Benitez won La Liga by having a head start with this style of play that everyone else copied afterwards but it was too late he was one step ahead.

It was the same for Klopp at Dortmund they had a high intense high Press game before anyone else, so took the league by surprise and storm and nobody could handle it, now nearly every team in Germany plays this style so it’s back to normality with Bayern’s spending power being the deciding factor in winning the league. Guardiola did it also with Barca at the same time.

At the moment the high intensity teams like us, Man City, Tottenham, Napoli etc are having a lot of success with this style of play but they’ll be a system that comes along soon and not only nullifies high pressing but also changes the way football is played at the highest level. There’s always a manager who comes along and creates something that everyone else copies, I thought it was going to be Conte’s 3-4-3 for a while but teams quickly figured that one out.

Just wondered what everyone else thinks it could be? And what young or at the moment relatively unknown managers are capable of changing football?

I think this generation of high press is the most entertaining for fans because it’s creates crazy games where it’s so intense mistakes happen and the game could finish 4-3. Just hoping that it doesn’t go back to the ultra defensive way it was going a few years back m.

The way we play now reminds of how Wenger did when he came here. Fast counters, wonderful interaction, switching sides, power football with fast players. Think he was one of the first in a long time to play with fullbacks that high. Even though it was 4-4-2 on paper the players where all over the place. Bergkamp feeding Wright, Overmars rampaging, Ljungberg the same on the right. Vieira powering box to box in the middle. Not the same formation but almost  the same in speed, power and interaction. 

All before he went dilly dally and lost his way and wanted 95% possesion because it looked cool in the top corner of the screen. 

I think everyone was really blown away then, even though I hate that club with a passion they played wonderful football and was a challenge to the mancs. We play that tempo now, probably a notch or two higher considering fitness levels of players are higher now than the nineties.

Everything recycles, just hope catenaccio never will. Even though Maureen is close. 

It does seem to go in cycles. You get managers who come up with innovative ways of attacking and others who then follow suit. You then get your managers that figure out how to negate those tactics in a negative manner. I don’t know if It’s because of the gulf in quality between the best teams and the next set down but it feels like the current season has been attack v defence in so many games not just involving Liverpool.

What this means going forward is anyone’s guess really. If the teams outside the top 6 in England get beat all the one by the top 6 just sitting back and playing for a draw there will hit a point where they just think fuck it let’s just attack. When that finally happens I think the game itself will improve again.

Personally I think the 442 will make a solid comeback soon (if it hasn’t already) with how defensive sides are and how flexible that formation can be. It also used to provide the most entertaining games which made the English game the most popular in the world.

There always seems to be a team and manager that comes from nowhere and are very successful until they get picked apart by bigger teams.

Mourinho-Porto

Rafa-Valencia

Klopp-Dortmund

Jardim-Monaco (that ones a shame they got ripped apart before they had a chance to do anything special)

Sarri-Napoli

Van Gaal-Ajax

There’s plenty more examples of it.

The next step will be when there are proven entities that exist beyond this world and by tapping in to this extraordinary power the coaches will be able to trip players over by use of a 'ghost' and the player will be left bemused, scratching his head and wondering how he got tripped when through on goal all by himself. The ball will then be kicked by this 'ghost' all the way up front to Salah who will then deflect the ball off another 'ghost' and Kane will claim it as his.

It will be called 'Ghost-en-pressing'.

I dont think a certain system will come along and make others obsolete. Think it will be player development that will be the difference making. Managers utilising specific strengths of players and getting the most out of them and tweak systems around that rather than have players doing strict systems.

I want to see the return of 3-5-2, with two strikers and a ‘libero’. I particularly like Germany’s take on it in 96, where the midfield had one holding player in Eilts and two playmakers in Möller and Häßler. Sammer as a libero had the license to step-up and play as well. A very good, but underrated team that Germany side.

80fb3ebcb085171896bf2e4ad9f22d35.jpg

I actually thought City should’ve given it a go in the second half. Their go to tactic of exploiting Trent wasn’t really working, they should’ve hooked Sane earlier and put Aguero on to play alongside Jesus.

Ten yards either side. It’s a foolproof plan.

Can't they play the ball backwards and not be offside? Or am I copying a rule from rugby that doesn't exist in football?

I actually thought City should’ve given it a go in the second half.

Heh...

The whole libero idea takes two leaps of faith -- first for the system to be of any good - the fella himself has to be of the utmost quality -- that is not like one of the best around at the given moment. Germany has done it effectively with three players -- Beckenbauer, Matthuas and Sammer.

All arguably amongst the 10 or 20 best players ever to play in the back -- not even just in their generation, much less country or league -- ever.

I would love to play against a team like City with Otamendi or Stones trying to fill that role -- they would get shred.

Once you are beyond the fact you need a player no current team anywhere has - you need the fellas around him to have the highest tactical awareness -- so again a smorgasbord on the counter if you are suggesting Kyle Walker and the other daft fella could come close to providing this.