You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Grand National 2018/Aintree meeting

It's more of race where you can pick ones to run well, with conditions to suit and obviously barring accidents like being brought down, since the modifications as opposed to the lottery it once was some years ago.

Sticking with Seeyouatmidnight and maybe small ew's on Houblon Des Obeaux, Vicente and Final Nudge maybe.

Vicente has been pulled mate, ground is too soft.

Houblon Des Obeaux is a decent stayer, ground should be ideal. Good E/W bet. Venetia Williams horses come to the fore in late Winter and early Spring.

• Upvote 1

Vicente has been pulled mate, ground is too soft.

Houblon Des Obeaux is a decent stayer, ground should be ideal. Good E/W bet. Venetia Williams horses come to the fore in late Winter and early Spring.

Oh right cheers, Venetian Williams's horse also do well in these conditions also I believe.

Tiger Roll might do well at 12s?

Oh right cheers, Venetian Williams's horse also do well in these conditions also I believe.

Tiger Roll might do well at 12s?

Venetia Williams horses do better in heavier ground, although she's not had that much joy in Feb/March/April where she usually does well. That said, she hasn't got Coleman riding regularly for her now. Yalaenki is one of hers who usually prospers in a slog and he's been nowhere in recent races.

So, not sure the stable is in great form, but given that the ground is heavy Houblon Des Obeaux has the conditions he wants, She hasn't got much of note in her stable these days mind.

This is a wide open National, normally you'd be able to pick 5 horses that you know will really go well, that look head and shoulders above the others on a ability. I'm not sure there are this time. It's a decent renewal, although somehwat bland in that everything has a chance, notwithstanding that's it's a total lottery anyway.

The year Hedgehunter won it, he looked a good thing, so did Comply or Die, Don't Push it was a worthy favourite and won, you look at the 'best' horses in it this year and nothing fills you with any confidence, no matter what the ground is like.

Anything can win it, just like any other year, but there is nothing in the race this year that stands out as class. Minella Rocco has gone because the ground is heavy, Total Recall and Anibale Fly are decent horses, no more. Blaklion ran terribly last time out, although he has form over course and distance. It's as wide open as ever.

There are no Hedgehunter's in it this year that are a class above.

J, are you able to give me the name of a long shot/shots - at around 20s - that has/have a plausible outside chance of winning the National? Cheers.

CT, anyone else?

Sorry, mate, haven't even looked yet.

To be honest, The National is about the least appealing race to bet on.

My missus has picked a horse. 100/1 shot, begins with a V I think. Probably bolt up.

Think I'm just going to pick a couple randomly, then actually look at the races that aren't 40 runner handicaps.

• Upvote 1

Venetia Williams horses do better in heavier ground, although she's not had that much joy in Feb/March/April where she usually does well. That said, she hasn't got Coleman riding regularly for her now. Yalaenki is one of hers who usually prospers in a slog and he's been nowhere in recent races.

So, not sure the stable is in great form, but given that the ground is heavy Houblon Des Obeaux has the conditions he wants, She hasn't got much of note in her stable these days mind.

This is a wide open National, normally you'd be able to pick 5 horses that you know will really go well, that look head and shoulders above the others on a ability. I'm not sure there are this time. It's a decent renewal, although somehwat bland in that everything has a chance, notwithstanding that's it's a total lottery anyway.

The year Hedgehunter won it, he looked a good thing, so did Comply or Die, Don't Push it was a worthy favourite and won, you look at the 'best' horses in it this year and nothing fills you with any confidence, no matter what the ground is like.

Anything can win it, just like any other year, but there is nothing in the race this year that stands out as class. Minella Rocco has gone because the ground is heavy, Total Recall and Anibale Fly are decent horses, no more. Blaklion ran terribly last time out, although he has form over course and distance. It's as wide open as ever.

There are no Hedgehunter's in it this year that are a class above.

As was the Gold Cup it turned out that the 1st two home were seemingly a class above the rest.

So only a small ew bet for me as I love the race ever since we used to walk up the ralla and bunk in and stand by Bechers , some spectacle and the noise.

My usual bet will be elsewhere as I need to turn the water into wine and I can't see the National obliging me tomorrow, but good luck

Don’t know that much about horse racing mate but what I do know is your best off picking by name of some form of randomness because it’s impossible to call, my grandad was a massive horse racing gambler and he never bet on it because as he said “there’s no skill to the national just luck”.

Aye, my best ever result in the National was backing 1st, 2nd and 4th. I was 11 years old.

I'm adding another to the list.

Maggio - 100/1.

The owners have been trying to get this in to the National for a few years now. It's missed out and been an unused reserve a couple of times.

The National is a handicap. In the years when it's missed out, the owners have ran it in hurdles races to keep it fit but get it's jumps handicap mark down with a view to getting it in the National with a decent weight. They've finally succeeded this year.

It's got round the National fences before in the Topham, which was too short/fast for it. It's also won at Aintree over the standard fences in 2016 on soft ground. It did so impressively. Stayed out the back of the field for most of the race then produced a late surge to win by 12 lengths. That was over 3 miles. It's got an extra mile and a half to run tomorrow, but it could easily adopt similar tactics, hanging back, then kicking on in the final stages.

I'm going in on the 7 places market on Bet365. Price drops down to 66/1 though.

• Upvote 1

I'm adding another to the list.

Maggio - 100/1.

The owners have been trying to get this in to the National for a few years now. It's missed out and been an unused reserve a couple of times.

The National is a handicap. In the years when it's missed out, the owners have ran it in hurdles races to keep it fit but get it's jumps handicap mark down with a view to getting it in the National with a decent weight. They've finally succeeded this year.

It's got round the National fences before in the Topham, which was too short/fast for it. It's also won at Aintree over the standard fences in 2016 on soft ground. It did so impressively. Stayed out the back of the field for most of the race then produced a late surge to win by 12 lengths. That was over 3 miles. It's got an extra mile and a half to run tomorrow, but it could easily adopt similar tactics, hanging back, then kicking on in the final stages.

I'm going in on the 7 places market on Bet365. Price drops down to 66/1 though.

Looks OK that then good luck.

Bet365's offer is insane. 

Half your stake back as soon as you place your bet. 

Just blammed a £1 on every outsider at 100/1 this year - those cheating cunts always ruin my day when Janet who hasn't bet in her life put £10 on them an won ££££. 

I need some national horses tips. I know it's akin to being told what numbers have come out more than others in the lottery but I at least want to feel like I thought about my money before I set it on fire.

Reading this morning that if you ignore One for Arthur ( 14/1 ) the last five winners before that were 33/25/25/66/33 to one respectively.

I have picked 5 between 22/1 and 50/1 that are or have been decent horses and just put £4 each on them with the thought that for £20 it should give a bit of interest and if any win it is a minimum £88. The Dutchman , Bless The Wings , Final Nudge , Carlingford Lough & Road to Riches.

• Upvote 1

Reading this morning that if you ignore One for Arthur ( 14/1 ) the last five winners before that were 33/25/25/66/33 to one respectively.

I have picked 5 between 22/1 and 50/1 that are or have been decent horses and just put £4 each on them with the thought that for £20 it should give a bit of interest and if any win it is a minimum £88. The Dutchman , Bless The Wings , Final Nudge , Carlingford Lough & Road to Riches.

That strategy + shite name = guaranteed winner. 

Carlingford Lough is going to win it. 

• Upvote 1