You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Manchester City 1 Liverpool 2 (Apr 10 2018)

tlw content

mancityreport4.jpg

Wow. Just wow. The Reds, eh? It was straightforward enough in the end, but it still felt harrowing sitting through it. I don't think I'm getting too carried away in describing this as one of the finest two legged performances we've ever produced. Going through is one thing, but a 5-1 aggregate score and winning both legs was quite something. 

Even Phil Thompson, who has been part of some of our finest European achievements as a player and coach, took to Twitter at full time to declare it "one of THE greatest European results in our history". It wasn't shaping up like that early on though. *shudders*

I’d got myself into such a state of worry in the first half that even when we had a 2-1 lead on the night with only 15 minutes left I still had that nervous, sick feeling. In the end my brain had to have a word with my body at that point and tell it to relax, because this one was over. I don't think I completely relaxed until about 85 minutes though.

Klopp’s beaten him three times in four months now. Does that mean he gets to keep him on his mantlepiece and polish his little bald head to keep it nice and shiny? Guardiola and Klopp seem to get on very well, but secretly the City boss must fucking hate our Jurgen. 

Klopp is definitely in his head. After the first leg the onus was on City to attack but if it had been us chasing the game I would have wanted us to be clever about it. You don’t need to get all three goals back in the first ten minutes and I think Guardiola got it wrong, just as he had in the first leg.

Guardiola’s starting line up for this one was ridiculously attacking. That didn’t scare me at all though, in fact it was the opposite. You want to attack us? Sound, bring it on. Attacking us should come with a government health warning. 

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full report

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. If you are not currently registered on the site, sign up for free and receive a FREE no obligation trial subscription, which gives you access to all the members only content for ONE MONTH.

Finally got out of bed? Been waiting all day for this fukka. No snog off me this Saturday.

Absolute stonewall foul on VD for the first goal.

"I’m not the kind of guy to say “I told you so” but if I was the type of guy to say “I told you so” then right about now I’d saying “I told you so”. But I'm not. I did tell you though." - class.

• Upvote 1

Superb report Dave. Thanks. 

I loved the line about your brain having to have a word with your body so you could enjoy it. I felt the same. 

Nice to see Lovren defended a bit too. I've been in the camp that says he should be replaced. Not loudly or obnoxiously, as I try to respect our players. But there's a mistake in the post, as you say. However, the recent article he did about how Klopp wants him to play on the front foot started to help me have a bit of a rethink about Lovren. I think we can still do better, but all of a sudden it's only about the fourth or fifth priority for the summer for me, and if we don't sign a central defender I'm fine with that. 

Great report. 

• Upvote 2

Yeah City fans are just odd with the Champions League (just odd in general really actually). I've seen some of them comment that it's 4th on their list of priorities. Fair enough the league should always be most important for anyone but who on earth thinks the FA cup and the league cup are more important?

Never seen so much bitching about refereeing decisions either. They lost 1-5 over two legs, the one goal they did score shouldn't have counted, yet them being knocked out is all on the officials - ok then. On bluemoon the first leg has now been rewritten and they were actually brilliant instead of utter shite, and last night they'd have been 20 goals up by halftime if not for a UEFA conspiracy to prevent them from winning the Champions League.

On to the semis now. Not really fussed who we get. Roma might be the easiest but they can't be too bad if they can outplay Barcelona like that. Unlike with the other 2 teams (assuming there are no mental comebacks tonight) we'd be in the position of favourites against them too and the underdog role seems to suit us. 

It's mostly just nice to be relevant in Europe again. Feels like the days under Rafa when no one wanted to draw us. That season in the competition under Rodgers and the realisation that we were a complete irrelevance at this level was really depressing.

• Upvote 2

Among all the crying from City fans about refereeing decisions - I haven't seen them question why their keeper didn't get a red card for shoving Mane in the chest 4 or 5 times.

I questioned it in the report. Also called him some unpleasant names.

Sterling looking like he was going to break down and cry like a bitch at the end was nice to see too.  Karma's a bitch, he fouled VvD for their first and got fuck all for repeatedly throwing himself on the ground for the rest of the game.  It wasn't just the push either, I've seen one view where he clearly kicks VvD's heel, that's what the gesture was about from VvD.

Klopp's well and truly got baldy's number.

• Upvote 1

Sterling looking like he was going to break down and cry like a bitch at the end was nice to see too. Karma's a bitch, he fouled VvD for their first and got fuck all for repeatedly throwing himself on the ground for the rest of the game. It wasn't just the push either, I've seen one view where he clearly kicks VvD's heel, that's what the gesture was about from VvD.

Klopp's well and truly got baldy's number.

Quite funny later on for the "yellow card" incident, the poisonous dwarf is still on his back and big Virge just stands up effortlessly and completely upends the cunt.
  • Upvote 1

Great read Dave I especially enjoyed this

Klopp’s beaten him three times in four months now. Does that mean he gets to keep him on his mantlepiece and polish his little bald head to keep it nice and shiny

• Upvote 2

Great report and great half time adjustments from Kloppo.

Wijnaldum and Firmino were leading the 2nd half effort to hold on to the ball, play football and get players involved rather than the long stupid ball towards Mo. Mane and Milner were good too.

No problem with Lovren as MOM. Based on the 2nd half alone Gini probably deserves it, but VVD (early mistake apart) and Lovren were solid throughout.

• Upvote 1

Excellent stuff Dave and you’re spot on about their ballbag keeper. Two other things: wouldn’t touch Sterling with a septic barge pole even if they offered him for free; de Bruyne, however, can you imagine the damage we’d do with midfield of him and Naby next season....?

• Upvote 1