You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Champion League Draw - 13/04/2018

WhiskeyJar

That BBC webpage regarding the draw really is toxic it's gone from obviously wanting us out which is fair enough to Heysel in the space of a few pages.

But the ones bring Heysel up as basically as just a means to have a dig are the same ones saying how shit LFC fans are without a hint of irony.

I really don't know why they have comments sections on there as it develops into shit like this time after time.

Good draw, Roma a very tough nut to crack. Good at the back and good on the counter. With Strootman, Nainggolan and De Rossi in midfield, I’d say that’s the strongest part of their team.

I think we will go through but it will be close. No mistakes at home and hopefully win, then shush the crowd in Rome with an early away goal. We can do this, but we have to be at our best.

Oh, and let’s hope the traveling fans are safe. I hate all the potential for aggro. We have several UEFA charges against us already, and if something goes off over there it could get serious. Hopefully it is well policed and our fans go, have a couple of beers in the sunshine, but no fighting or anything like that, support the team passionately, and come home safely.

It does not make sense to fix it. As Suzy said Bayern Vs Real is the more marketable out of all othet fixtures.

Unless it is deemed for Klopp to get one over Bayern in a fairytale-esque match.

Nah... think you're underestimating our following. We're still a huge name throughout the world, it's just not been fashionable to follow us as wholeheartedly when we've been (relatively) shit. Add Klopp in the mix, and a lot of people are intrigued.

• Upvote 1

Roma have not looked anything spectacular in Serie A this season. True they had an exceptional result against Barcelona but that may in part have been down to Barcelonas arrogance. Roma deserve respect for getting to the semis but I do not think there is anything much for us to fear if we are on our game.

Roma have not looked anything spectacular in Serie A this season. True they had an exceptional result against Barcelona but that may in part have been down to Barcelonas arrogance. Roma deserve respect for getting to the semis but I do not think there is anything much for us to fear if we are on our game.

Serie A means nothing. They finished first in a group containing Atletico and Chelsea and just knocked out a European superpower in an incredible way. 

We should fear them for the way they have negotiated this European campaign, but yes it will be disappointing if we don't beat them because we are arguably better on paper. 

I've just had a look at Roma's results and they seem pretty hot and cold.

They've had some good wins like against Barcelona, Chelsea and recently away at Napoli in the league but they've also been beaten at home 7 times this season.

They aren't a great side but we still need to be on it.  It's a great chance to make the final.

• Upvote 1

Serie A means nothing. They finished first in a group containing Atletico and Chelsea and just knocked out a European superpower in an incredible way. 

We should fear them for the way they have negotiated this European campaign, but yes it will be disappointing if we don't beat them because we are arguably better on paper. 

Chelsea have been absolute dogshit this season. Dismissing what they have done in Serie a is stupid. Atletico are waning a little as others have said.

We should not fear anyone. Respect them yes.

Hopefully Lazio and Inter can keep the pressure up and force them to play full strength teams

Shame that Juve games not a couple of weeks earlier

Or the derby a bit later.

They've actually got a load of shite to play around our games - Spal, Genoa, Chievo, all in the bottom half. Very tight between 14th and 19th in Serie A though so at least there is less chance of teams chucking matches.

'Anybody thinks this is the easiest draw then I cannot help this person'

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp: “Because I knew I’d have to say something after it, I tried to think about what I feel, but it was not that I thought ‘Thank God not Bayern, thank God not Real Madrid, yippee Roma’ or the other way around.

“It is just the draw and I know it is very exciting, but it is good because the most important news is we are still in the competition. Whichever opponent we would have got, I would have said there is a chance because it is football – so there is a chance against Roma.

“But if anybody think this is the easiest draw then I cannot help this person; they obviously didn’t see both games against Barcelona. In the first result, the 4-1, it was not like the game was – it was Lionel Messi genius against a good side of Roma. The second leg was outstanding, it was outstanding what they did. They should have probably won four or five-nil – I was really impressed.

“It is work and no problem with that and now we are looking forward of course to the first game.”

• Upvote 1

I've just had a look at Roma's league results and they seem pretty hot and cold.

They've had some good wins like against Barcelona, Chelsea and recently away at Napoli in the league but they've also been beaten at home 7 times this season.

They aren't a great side but we still need to be on it.  It's a great chance to make the final.

This. Inter are a point behind them in Serie A going into this weekends fixtures. They do have 2 relatively easy games either side of playing us against Spal and Chievio.

Simon Gleave, head of analysis at Gracenote Sports, and the Euro Club Index have looked at the chances of progression:

To reach Champions League final

Liverpool 60% (from 34% before the draw)

Real Madrid 50% (from 71%)

Bayern Munich 50% (from 69%)

AS Roma 40% (from 25%)

To win the Champions League:

Real Madrid 35% (from 42.5% before the draw)

Bayern Munich 34.5% (from 40%)

Liverpool 20% (from 11%)

AS Roma 10.5% (from 6.5%)

In La Liga Atletico are four points ahead of the favourites for the Champions League. 22 points ahead of the team that knocked out United, and drew with Bayern Munich on Wednesday. They have arguably the best collective defence and goalkeeper in the world.

In what possible way are they waining? They're about the 5th/6th best team in the world.

Chelsea have been absolute dogshit this season. Dismissing what they have done in Serie a is stupid. Atletico are waning a little as others have said.

We should not fear anyone. Respect them yes.

Inconsistent league results over the course of a season mean nothing when looking at a two-legged European tie. What does mean something is the way they have physically battered most of their opponents in Europe this season.

If we come into the matches with our thin midfield tired from having to play every game because of all our injuries, they could quite easily trounce us in the middle as they have done to others in the Champions League this season. That's not a ridicuous assessment, 

• Upvote 1