You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Art....

I've always liked landscapes and artist's paintings of towns,cities,coves,bays,etc. I also have always liked paintings of sporting events and great racehorses for example.

Don't anybody dare put up the Sopranos 'General and his horse!'

A mate had a great painting of the Grand Nationa, the horses piling over Bechers Brook , all named.Think it was Red Alligator'so one.

I like Art, no expert, but do not get modern art, an unmade bed? pile of bricks, not for me

As a general rule, any piece of art that needs a few paragraphs to try to explain what the artist is trying to achieve is going to be wank. Self-referential conceptual art peaked when Marcel Duchamp hung a piss-pot on the wall; there's been way too much shallow, pretentious, smug arsewipe since then - best exemplified by the YBAs.

That's not to say all modern art is guff; far from it.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I went to a College of Art after leaving school and studied art history as part of my course for two years. I was really interested in early 20th century 'abstract' art (as a vague, all encompassing term): Malevich, Mondrian/De Stijl, Picasso, Rothko, Kandinsky, etc, etc. It was studying that era that lead me down the path in to studying architecture. I admire the process, the ambition and the imagination and I liked how some of those ideas translate to more than an art form and become a style or philosophy.

I don't care much for contemporary art but I also have no issue with them being very abstract and/or needing an explanation. Creativity is a process, sometimes the outcome of that process manifests as something that needs describing. I'm all for art being some aesthetically pleasing but there's also room for social commentary and thought provoking work that isn't just about how it immediately looks.

As an architect the process side of things really resonates and my education in art still underpins the way I work to some degree.

I love art galleries, the wife and I visit them wherever we go and we've seen some amazing stuff. None more so than seeing Picasso's 'Guernica' in Madrid last year, which is truly awe-inspiring in its scale, tone, subject and composition.

I don't care too much for 'real life' paintings, I love a Monet, Hopper or Hockney, something that gives the impression of life and place but isn't trying to be photoreal. That's what photos are for.

Studying and practicing art has shaped my life, there's no doubt about it, even if it's not my life's great interest nowadays. The critical thinking process I learned and developed is fundamental to me and it gave me an output for my creativity/energy that others around me didn't have.

In short, I like paintings what look like a kid done 'em.

• Upvote 3

Went to Florence a few years back. (Honeymoon in 2011).  Absolutely loved - and really got into - all the Renaissance stuff, but these days I can barely remember the name of any artist who isn't a turtle.

http://www.uffizi.com/virtual-tour-uffizi-gallery.asp

https://www.virtualuffizi.com/accademia-gallery.html

https://www.virtualuffizi.com/san-marco-museum.html

https://www.virtualuffizi.com/palatina-gallery.html

https://www.virtualuffizi.com/bargello-museum.html

If you go to Florence, you're best bet is to get a Firenze Card, which gets you access into about a million places in a 72 hour period.

http://www.firenzecard.it/?lang=en

Florence is one of my favourite places. Great city

Anybody a fan?

To clarify, I don't mean badly drawn pictures of The Rock or Michael Barrymore with a stonker on.

Proper art.

I've gained a bit more appreciation for it in recent times.

I'm by no means an art connoisseur, but a fan of stuff by the likes of Klimt, Rothko, Miro, Monet and the classics from the likes of Caravaggio and Velazquez.

Also like some Japanese stuff, particularly Hokusai and Hiroshige. Zhong Biao is an interesting modern Chinese artist who does some good stuff with a bit of a Banksy feel to it.

And I find the Art Of....(Spain, France, China etc) series of BBC documentaries by Andrew Graham Dixon to be very interesting. The BBC An Art Lovers' Guide series is decent too. Season 2 starts soon and has them visiting Lisbon, Beirut and Baku.

Discuss.... favourite artists, paintings etc, recommended books or documentaries?

Are you watching the current BBC series Civilisations? It's basically human history told through art, sculpture, design; and it's really really good.

The latest episode, amongst other things, compared art created in North America to art created in New Zealand and how in NZ art helped the Maori integrate and flourish, I found that quite interesting. This episode also introduced me to a painting I'd not seen or noticed before and is now a favourite, Manet's "A Bar at Folies-Bergere".

I am certainly no expert to say the least but do take an interest, particularly if I'm visiting somewhere. And the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel genuinely made me emotional.

Can recommend the Picasso exhibition at the Tate Modern.  Not the most consistent set of his work, but a very interesting insight into his process and life over the course of a significant twelve months.  Like anything with him, there's a fair element of his self-centred nature in there, but also like anything to do with him; he was an absolute boss.

Couple of the paintings had me walking back into a previous room to look again in the context of the later work.

Anyone listen to Brian Blessed on Richard Herring? To cut a long story short he met Picasso when he was a kid and asked him to prove he was Picasso by doing him a drawing. He drew a dove and gave it to Blessed. Blessed said it was shit and gave it back. It’s now in a museum valued at £50m.

• 1 month later...

Most art passes me by but recently i have become semi-obsessed with Caravaggio. Just unreal how brilliant his work is, and he was a loon as well.  

If you haven't already, see if you can find the Andrew Graham-Dixon documentary about him. Fascinating stuff.

It's also worth noting, given the Goodfellas reference above, that Scorsese was particularly influenced by his art.

• Upvote 1

I like Frank Green, a local artist who been painting Liverpool and its surroundings for decades. Can anyone recommend other Liverpool artists?

I also like Mark Braithwaite, a Yorkshireman who paints York, etc.

I have a Frank Green print of the old Kop before it got changed to all seater. Was the first thing back on the wall when my ex-wife left.

If you haven't already, see if you can find the Andrew Graham-Dixon documentary about him. Fascinating stuff.

It's also worth noting, given the Goodfellas reference above, that Scorsese was particularly influenced by his art.

Yeah i watched that on an extremely low quality (Vic Reeves reference) youtube clip a couple of weeks ago. 

The Jarman film is there in full somewhere too.