You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Art....

1 hour ago, Nelly-Torres said:

It's a bit fucked up but I like Saturn Devouring His Son by Francisco Goya. Not sure it's one you'd have a print of in your living room though! 

I'd love to go to the Prado and the whole Paseo del Arte in Madrid. To see the above (below too), Guernica by Picasso and Las Meninas by Diego Velázquez. 

c8be2800-2c71-4695-9ccb-4d6ccde35bfd_832.jpg

The fact that you think its only “ a bit fucked up” is the revealing thing. 

6 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

The fact that you think its only “ a bit fucked up” is the revealing thing. 

Ha. 

It's from Goya's black paintings. And was originally painted on the walls of his house. It's intriguing to think why he'd paint such a painting. And why he'd do it on his living room wall. That's a bit fucked up too. 

32 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Ha. 

It's from Goya's black paintings. And was originally painted on the walls of his house. It's intriguing to think why he'd paint such a painting. And why he'd do it on his living room wall. That's a bit fucked up too. 

Ha ha.

I'm a big Jheronomus Bosch fan as well. Here's the Haywain Triptych then obviously the Constable one. How could two paintings of Haywains painted 300 years apart be less similar? Don't do drugs kids, stick to cider,  that's the lesson here. 

Jheronimus_Bosch_-_De_hooiwagen_(c.1516,_Prado).jpg

John_Constable_-_The_Hay_Wain_(1821).jpg

4 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

My youngest and I are currently trying to recreate this in oils as part of his homework on the Thames. I may post the finished creation but in the light of my experiences on the breakfast thread, maybe not. 

13E9C387-71F2-4F28-8EDF-9DEECBC25783.jpeg

If you do, start a new thread. For, erm... "filing" purposes...

10 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

I'm a big Jheronomus Bosch fan as well. Here's the Haywain Triptych. How could two paintings of Haywains be less similar? 

Jheronimus_Bosch_-_De_hooiwagen_(c.1516,_Prado).jpg

Came across the Bruegel museum in Antwerp a couple of years back, didn't really know anything about them. The centre piece of the collection is called "Dull Gret", full on Bosch vibes.

Dull Gret - Wikipedia

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Came across the Bruegel museum in Antwerp a couple of years back, didn't really know anything about them. The centre piece of the collection is called "Dull Gret", full on Bosch vibes.

He Dull Gret - Wikipedia

Another cracker. I don't know too much about art but I reckon Dali had seen a few of these Dutch painting in his time. That face to the left hand side and the fish in the bottom middle is straight out of Dali. Monty python influenced massively as well, look at the fish eating the leg in the bottom right or the bug with the face in the far bottom left.  

They were painting this mad stuff at the time of the great fire of London when their contempories were making a living painting monarchs or scenes from ancient Greece. Had to be some sort of drugs involved. Totally brilliant. 

2 hours ago, neko said:

I've got a little over two hours to decide if I really need to buy this at auction. It speaks to me...

https://www.maynardsfineart.com/auction-lot/Enook-Manomie,-Iqaluit,-11-x-7-x-3-3-4-in.-27.9_DD440FFB27/

I've been watching it for a week or so, but now it's getting a little out of my price range (add 20% premium + tax)

eWdJ7S9.jpg

Apparently I'm not the only one with exceptionally good taste, as it's close to $1000 now.

Still a bargain, but I'd rather spend it on a new bike. or Tequila.

3 hours ago, Nelly-Torres said:

It's a bit fucked up but I like Saturn Devouring His Son by Francisco Goya. Not sure it's one you'd have a print of in your living room though! 

I'd love to go to the Prado and the whole Paseo del Arte in Madrid. To see the above (below too), Guernica by Picasso and Las Meninas by Diego Velázquez. 

c8be2800-2c71-4695-9ccb-4d6ccde35bfd_832.jpg

The Prado is ace.

I've always loved this self-portrait of Anton Rafael Mengs in the Walker Art Gallery, so I was looking forward to seeing more of his stuff at the Prado. Turns out it's mostly shite, because he was painting overly prettified garbage to please the inbred philistines of the royal court. He does have one good painting in there: another self-portrait.

Screenshot_2021-10-27-22-11-15-70_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

1 hour ago, Captain Willard said:

Ha ha. Yes maybe but actually no. I'm a hard no. My own attempts at painting will stay safe in the confines of the shed. I have learnt the GF is a cruel unforgiving place. 

The GF forgives, it just doesn't forget...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...