You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Art....

Anybody a fan?

To clarify, I don't mean badly drawn pictures of The Rock or Michael Barrymore with a stonker on.

Proper art.

I've gained a bit more appreciation for it in recent times.

I'm by no means an art connoisseur, but a fan of stuff by the likes of Klimt, Rothko, Miro, Monet and the classics from the likes of Caravaggio and Velazquez.

Also like some Japanese stuff, particularly Hokusai and Hiroshige. Zhong Biao is an interesting modern Chinese artist who does some good stuff with a bit of a Banksy feel to it.

And I find the Art Of....(Spain, France, China etc) series of BBC documentaries by Andrew Graham Dixon to be very interesting. The BBC An Art Lovers' Guide series is decent too. Season 2 starts soon and has them visiting Lisbon, Beirut and Baku.

Discuss.... favourite artists, paintings etc, recommended books or documentaries?

• Upvote 3

I love art but don't like talking about it too much because people who talk about it tend to sound like bellends.

One of the highlights of New York for me was the art galleries, I saw a load of paintings there I thought I would never see in my lifetime & Salvador Dali's house/tomb in Figueres was amazing too.

Favourite artists are Magritte, Picasso, Kadinsky, Jackson Pollock & Dali. all pretty obvious choices but they're famous for a reason.

The missus & me like a good row about art as well, we had a right ding dong about what was going up in our new house (I tend to like abstract stuff whereas she prefers more observational art) to the extent that we ended up with a Beatles Shea Stadium framed picture in the living room. We also fell out at the Picasso museum in Barcelona after she called big Pablo 'a fud' after having seen one too many cock pictures amongst his sketches.

• Upvote 1

I find anything presented by Andrew Graham Dixon to be excellent, his series with chef Giorgio Locatelli, Italy Unpacked, was particularly good for mixing art with culture and cuisine. His documentary on Caravaggio was brilliant, wish I'd taped it.

My only issue with art programmes is when they disappear up their own backsides, like the History of Art in Three Colours, with James Fox. I was fine with it until he got onto a painting that was just a blue canvas, and I expected him to spunk in his chinos over how blue it all was. To be fair, he was good in The Art of Japanese Life though, so I'll forgive him.

Hokusai, Caravaggio and the engravings of Dürer and Doré are faves. Just picked up a large coffee table version of Paradise Lost for the big illustrations.

• Upvote 1

I really do like it.

I'm an admirer of Gustav Klimt's work and have a number of books about him. He's not everyone's cuppa though, the wife doesn't like his art.

I went to the Belvedere in Vienna and the Leopold also in Vienna and saw some incredible works. I didn't knpw much about Egon Schiele until I went to the Leopold and became an admirer afterwards.

Art can be a bit poncey but doesn't mean iut can't be enjoyed. Oh and Rolf Harris is a cunt.

EDIT:

This book is good https://www.amazon.com/Klimt-Taschen-Basic-Gilles-N%C3%A9ret/dp/3836558076/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

I find anything presented by Andrew Graham Dixon to be excellent, his series with chef Giorgio Locatelli, Italy Unpacked, was particularly good for mixing art with culture and cuisine. His documentary on Caravaggio was brilliant, wish I'd taped it.

Only got round to watching the first one.

That Carbonara looked amazing though!

I can’t profess any great knowledge of art, but I love going to galleries and exhibitions. We’ve bought original art from degree shows for years but I couldn’t define what I like. I just like what I like.

As for favourite artists, I tend to like the ones I’ve seen the best exhibitions for. So, I went to the Dali museum in St Petersberg, FL years ago and was blown away by the scale of his stuff and the way you can see certain things in his paintings better from further away.

Saw the Hockney exhibition in London last year and was amazed by his versatility with four distinct styles in his career.

Finally, we went to Giverny just after we got married and saw Monet’s garden and inspiration as well as many of his best known works. Again, it was ace.

I suppose the thing I love most about art is that it’s a means of expression that is incomprehensible for me in terms of doing myself. My creative outlet has always been through words and music. Art is like a fascinating foreign language to me that sounds great even though I don’t speak it.

I think most people like some kind of art, I think they're put off though by its image as being elitist and also at being told that stuff which is clearly shite is actually great.

We went to FACT over Easter and they had a free exhibition on, something to do with games or something, and it was absolute shite - as most exhibitions are at FACT to be honest (I suspect it's something to do with the fact they're blatantly just a regular cinema but have their hand in a big pot of Arts Council cash, so have to put on exhibitions). One of the exhibits was a pile of sand with a bottle and a newspaper sticking out of it next to a picture of Grand Theft Auto - I shit you not.

I really do like it.

I'm an admirer of Gustav Klimt's work and have a number of books about him. He's not everyone's cuppa though, the wife doesn't like his art.

I went to the Belvedere in Vienna and the Leopold also in Vienna and saw some incredible works. I didn't knpw much about Egon Schiele until I went to the Leopold and became an admirer afterwards.

Art can be a bit poncey but doesn't mean iut can't be enjoyed. Oh and Rolf Harris is a cunt.

EDIT:

This book is good https://www.amazon.com/Klimt-Taschen-Basic-Gilles-N%C3%A9ret/dp/3836558076/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

I've got a print of Klimt's Die Jungfrau above the fireplace.

One of my favourite paintings. It's even got a little bit of tit in it.

• Upvote 1

FACT is hit and miss because they deal very much in video art. I've been to some exhibitions there which were quite good, and some which were piss poor.

I used to go to the TATE modern in the Dock at least once a year, to remind myself of what you can get away with. Although you almost always find something that is worthwhile. I'd echo Paul in that i don't know much about art, but I just like what I like, and what I like can be quite diverse.

I've got a print of Klimt's Die Jungfrau above the fireplace.

One of my favourite paintings. It's even got a little bit of tit in it.

In fairness, most of his work has a bit of tit in them.

If you'd like to order a few, you can get posters here: https://www.art.com/gallery/id--a9-b206510/gustav-klimt-nudes-posters.htm