You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Referees

sir roger

Pleased to see Mike Riley's eye being wiped by FIFA who have appointed 99 referees and officials for the World Cup and absolutely none of them from England ( Or any home country ).

To be fair we actually put Bobby Madley forward , so maybe we didn't want any attendees anyway.

Shows up that PGMOL wankathon on SSN last week as complete cobblers.

Don’t give much of a fuck whether we have a team at the WC and care even less about sending shit refs

Misses the point about the message it has though. Our refs are shit and even FIFA now recognises the fact. That tit Riley will insist FIFA is at fault for overlooking his refs and him being in complete denial that anyone who goes to PL games can see even if they were blind.

• Upvote 2

Wanted to post this moan about referees after a win, so it doesn't appear as sour grapes.

It is a post about the thought process refs go through when making a decision. One would think that they are simply concerned with, "what is the right decision here according to the laws of the game.".

Well Dermot Gallagher said something alarming, when asked about to analyse an incident. The incident was that Mane went down after a tackle; Mane considered he had been fouled and grabbed the ball; the ref didn't give the foul; he instead gave a free-kick against Mane for handball. A crime which is punishable by yellow card. However he didn't yellow-card Mane for deliberate handball, as it would have been his second booking, and therefore a red card.   

When asked for his analysis of the ref's thought process on why no sending off was issued, Gallagher said something like, "He (the ref) should just have given a foul anyway, to save himself from the difficult decision that followed".

So he is saying that refs sometimes give an 'easy' decision; even if they believe it is wrong.

This is too open to abuse. Refs should call it as they see it, according to the laws. No excuses.

• Upvote 1

Wanted to post this moan about referees after a win, so it doesn't appear as sour grapes.

It is a post about the thought process refs go through when making a decision. One would think that they are simply concerned with, "what is the right decision here according to the laws of the game.".

Well Dermot Gallagher said something alarming, when asked about to analyse an incident. The incident was that Mane went down after a tackle; Mane considered he had been fouled and grabbed the ball; the ref didn't give the foul; he instead gave a free-kick against Mane for handball. A crime which is punishable by yellow card. However he didn't yellow-card Mane for deliberate handball, as it would have been his second booking, and therefore a red card.   

When asked for his analysis of the ref's thought process on why no sending off was issued, Gallagher said something like, "He (the ref) should just have given a foul anyway, to save himself from the difficult decision that followed".

So he is saying that refs sometimes give an 'easy' decision; even if they believe it is wrong.

This is too open to abuse. Refs should call it as they see it, according to the laws. No excuses.

Gallagher said he would have given Mane a second yellow for the hand ball. And he is right. How Mane did not get a second yellow there is beyond me unless the ref gives us the foul which he clearly did not do.

Gallagher was also made to look a tit by Souey for his defence of giving Mane the yellow for the penno shout. I am just sorry Souey did not ask him why no English ref is going to the World Cup when you have inconsistent decisions today especially when you look at the Lamella pen given at Anfield.

Still it is over and we won but on another day the ref would have shafted us yet again.

It's just madness at the moment, VAR (far from perfect) further highlighting what a mess referees/the rules of football are. It seems particularly bad in this country and the likes of Gallagher possibly making matters worse.

You've mentioned the above incident and I didn't hear Gallagher's comments on that one in particular, but I did hear what he said about the Mane non-penalty incident which was equally confusing. Basically, if I understood Gallagher correctly, he said that the referee made the right decision in not giving the penalty and a yellow card for diving, but was then asked if it would have been a penalty had Mane gone down without delay and he said yes! That makes no sense, either it was a penalty or it wasn't, irrespective of the "dive"??

The rules regarding penalties and offsides urgently need clearing up, either within the written rules or the so-called interpretation of them.

Gallagher makes it up as he goes along. Every Monday, there's an article on Sky Sports website where Gallagher goes over the key refereeing decisions in the weekend's games. He always backs the referee's decisions even if he's contradicting something he said in previous weeks about an identical incident. He's very much part of the PGMOL 'bury your head in the sand' clique, always ready to pat refs on the back regardless of performance.

I wondered if in the interim ( half time ? ) Swarbrick had heard that there was contact on the first yellow & didn't want to compound it with a second.

Doesn't matter as it was a blatant dive and a yellow was fitting. The second incident was an obvious foul on Mane and all round incompetence by the referee.

Doesn't matter as it was a blatant dive and a yellow was fitting. The second incident was an obvious foul on Mane and all round incompetence by the referee.

I hope the referees agree with you the next time a similar contact happens in our box , I am not convinced.

Wasn’t a dive because he was fouled or at least there was contact, it wasn’t a blatant dive at I agree he went down theatrically. We’ll see if he gets a retrospective ban for blatant diving because I’ll bet he wouldn’t. A dive is what Dele Alli done when he went to ground without any contact, being kicked and jumping to the floor is completely different. I’d honestly expect that to have been given if it was against us.

Fouls are always going to be somewhat subjective. And lets face it - difficult to catch at the speed the game is being played at.

The easiest thing in the world would be to review blatant dives and retrospectively hand out bans for them - it would stop in the matter of a few weeks.

I wondered if in the interim ( half time ? ) Swarbrick had heard that there was contact on the first yellow & didn't want to compound it with a second.

Would have been the first player ever to get two yellows for being fouled twice.

Wasn’t a dive because he was fouled or at least there was contact, it wasn’t a blatant dive at I agree he went down theatrically. We’ll see if he gets a retrospective ban for blatant diving because I’ll bet he wouldn’t. A dive is what Dele Alli done when he went to ground without any contact, being kicked and jumping to the floor is completely different. I’d honestly expect that to have been given if it was against us.

All contact is NOT a foul,despite what those idiot 'pundits' say. Mane was in a great position if he'd stayed on his feet. The likes of Delle Alli and Kane are regular cheating bastards and I'd want the same thing that happened to Mane to happen to them,but appalling standards of refereeing don't make it likely.

All contact is NOT a foul,despite what those idiot 'pundits' say. Mane was in a great position if he'd stayed on his feet. The likes of Delle Alli and Kane are regular cheating bastards and I'd want the same thing that happened to Mane to happen to them,but appalling standards of refereeing don't make it likely.

That’s what I’m saying, it’s questionable, debatable and subjective whether you think it’s a foul or not but there was contact and he could have stayed up but went down, that’s why I don’t agree with the yellow. It wasn’t necessarily a dive as such but he went down easily. If there was no contact at all and he went down I’d agree with the yellow and call it a dive.

I believe the quality of refereeing is not what it should be, but I don’t believe referees are biased against us. We’re just as one eyed as supporters of every other club.

this is correct they are not bias they are just extremely shit at their jobs. Watch other football and it happens with all games. VAR will make their lives easier but will stop these sort of debates.

I believe the quality of refereeing is not what it should be, but I don’t believe referees are biased against us. We’re just as one eyed as supporters of every other club.

I don't think that's really what most are saying on here. I think it's both the appalling standards of refereeing and the obvious inconsistencies it creates.

The media don't help matters of course but the standards in the PL are much lower than I have seen in my years watching the game. Since they became professionals they are much worse.