You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Best 1 to 11 by shirt number since premier league / squad numbers?

Bob

I can’t sleep, so lying in bad I started scrolling through Facebook and saw an article in 90 minutes putting forward the best 1 to 11!by shirt number in premier league history and it’s wctualoy a pretty decent stab in my opinion.

Full of Mancs obviously but it would be, wouldn’t it.

Anyway, it made me think, what Would ours be?

Squad numbers means no place for Carragher or Reina and some of our better players have had the “wrong” 1-11 number, too.

Here’s the link to the original article... https://www.90min.com/posts/5660893-all-star-xi-the-best-players-in-premier-league-history-to-wear-each-shirt-number-between-1-11

1. Dudek.

Grobelaar just about qualifies but by the end of his time with us he wasn’t all that good from my fading memory, plus all I can see is him in that horrible Adidas kit with 3 think white stripes sewn up each side of his belly.

Dudek had his faults, and was certainly upgraded on when Reina arrived, but he won us big ears so comfortably takes the shirt over the others available.

2. Rob Jones

Nice and simple this one. One of my favourite players as a lad.

3. Finnan

I want a left back with this shirt but Stevie Finnan will have to do a job there. We’ve had shit left backs with this number, generally, and Ziege was the only one that pushed for the shirt.

4. Sami

Say no more. Maybe visited again in 10 years the answer will definitely be van dyke but for now Sami walks into the team.

5. Wijnaldum (for team shape)

He’s not the best number 5 we’ve had, though apart from Baros (who isn’t a good enough striker to make the team, and loses out anyway because I need a centre back and midfielder) I can’t think of many stand outs.

6. Babbel

He’s playing centre half for me. He’s a better Right back, but jones is a shoe in.

7. Suarez, obviously.

8. Gerard, obviously.

9. Fowler for me.

Bloody tough to pick between Fowler, rush and Torres, and age might come into it, but for me rushie is better associated with pre- premier league football, so I’m taking him out of contention.

I idolised Fowler, so he gets the shirt.

10. Barnes.

Maybe I’m a hypocrite saying rush is pre-prem and then picking Barnes over coutinho or Owen, but he was the best player I ever saw until Suarez came along and maybe pipped him. Love he man.

11. Salah

He’s only been here 5 minutes, but he’s earned the shirt, and in the squad number era I can’t really think of too many challengers to it either.

—————1. Dudek

2. Jones —- 6. Babble —- 4. Sami —-3. finnan

———5. Wijnaldum —- 8. Gerrard

——————-7. Suarez

11. Salah ———- 9. Fowler ———- 10. Barnes

• Upvote 1

I'd have agger in there as number 5

All well and good, but now you have a one man midfield, or have to sacrifice Sami to bring in Meireles or (shudder) Aquilani.

Agger is better than Wijnaldum, but your team in worse than mine as a result.

1 - Dudek; only because Reina never wore the No1 shirt

2 - Jones; edges it ahead of Arbeloa

3 - Finnan; the most consistent of all the ones to wear No3

4 - Hyypia; because it's Sami

5 - Agger; injured or otherwise, he had the biggest impact of all our No5s

6 - Riise; would've gone for Babbel if we'd got more than a year out of him

7 - Suarez; goes without saying

8 - Gerrard; again, a no-brainer

9 - Fowler; Rush's best years were pre-Premier League

10 - Barnes; I just can't leave out my favourite ever Liverpool player

11 - Salah; amazing impact in his debut season

1 - Dudek; only because Reina never wore the No1 shirt

2 - Jones; edges it ahead of Arbeloa

3 - Finnan; the most consistent of all the ones to wear No3

4 - Hyypia; because it's Sami

5 - Agger; injured or otherwise, he had the biggest impact of all our No5s

6 - Riise; would've gone for Babbel if we'd got more than a year out of him

7 - Suarez; goes without saying

8 - Gerrard; again, a no-brainer

9 - Fowler; Rush's best years were pre-Premier League

10 - Barnes; I just can't leave out my favourite ever Liverpool player

11 - Salah; amazing impact in his debut season

They may have been the best to wear those numbers (though if plump for Babbel over Riise, personally) but your team has 3 full backs and one legitimate midfielder, so my team will beat you.