You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Actor Role Re-casting

Trumo

In a lot of cases, actors or actresses cast in a role end up fitting the role perfectly, occasionally becoming synonymous with the role. For example, it's difficult to picture anyone but Bryan Cranston playing Walter White because he did it so brilliantly. But are their any roles where you've wondered how a different actor or actress might play it even if you liked the way the character was portrayed?

What got me thinking was Bob Odenkirk's performance as Saul Goodman. He's great in the role but I can't help wonder what might have been had Michael McKean got the part instead.

Elijah Wood as a football hooligan in Green Street....In fact throw in Charlie Hunaman too playing a cockney in same movie.

Colin Farrell in Alexander the Great not only for his shit acting but since when would the conqueror of the Persian Empire look like he'd spent 4 hours in Herbert's salon

Colin-Farrell-as-Alexander-The-Great.jpg

Frank Sinatra was the original choice to play Dirty Harry, fuck me - that would've been shite & then there's Kirk Douglas who was down to play RP McMurphy in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Probably not shite but Jack was perfect for that role.

On topic, you would've liked to have seen someone better than Sophia Coppola in The Godfather part III, maybe Phoebe Cates or someone like that. Also, replacing Tom Hardy with an actor who can actually talk would help all of the films he's been in immeasurably, stick Sean Penn in Lawless & James Franco in The Drop, sorted.

Frank Sinatra was the original choice to play Dirty Harry, fuck me - that would've been shite & then there's Kirk Douglas who was down to play RP McMurphy in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Probably not shite but Jack was perfect for that role.

On topic, you would've liked to have seen someone better than Sophia Coppola in The Godfather part III, maybe Phoebe Cates or someone like that. Also, replacing Tom Hardy with an actor who can actually talk would help all of the films he's been in immeasurably, stick Sean Penn in Lawless & James Franco in The Drop, sorted.

Kirk Douglas was down to it because Michael Douglas owned it's rites and his production company was in charge of making it. It worked out ok in the end.

Kirk Douglas was down to it because Michael Douglas owned it's rites and his production company was in charge of making it. It worked out ok in the end.

It was actually Michael Douglas who jibbed his Dad for Jack Nicholson.

Kirk Douglas had played the role in a stage production a few years prior.

It was actually Michael Douglas who jibbed his Dad for Jack Nicholson.

Kirk Douglas had played the role in a stage production a few years prior.

To be honest I could've imagined Kirk Douglas would have been very good when he played it on stage in the early 60's but he was way too old to do it in 75.

I think I read somewhere he wanted to make it then but no studio was interested.

• Upvote 1

I think Winona Ryder was offered it but turned it down.

• Upvote 1