Quantcast
Actor Role Re-casting - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Trumo

Actor Role Re-casting

In a lot of cases, actors or actresses cast in a role end up fitting the role perfectly, occasionally becoming synonymous with the role. For example, it's difficult to picture anyone but Bryan Cranston playing Walter White because he did it so brilliantly. But are their any roles where you've wondered how a different actor or actress might play it even if you liked the way the character was portrayed?

What got me thinking was Bob Odenkirk's performance as Saul Goodman. He's great in the role but I can't help wonder what might have been had Michael McKean got the part instead.

Elijah Wood as a football hooligan in Green Street....In fact throw in Charlie Hunaman too playing a cockney in same movie.

Colin Farrell in Alexander the Great not only for his shit acting but since when would the conqueror of the Persian Empire look like he'd spent 4 hours in Herbert's salon

Colin-Farrell-as-Alexander-The-Great.jpg

Frank Sinatra was the original choice to play Dirty Harry, fuck me - that would've been shite & then there's Kirk Douglas who was down to play RP McMurphy in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Probably not shite but Jack was perfect for that role.

On topic, you would've liked to have seen someone better than Sophia Coppola in The Godfather part III, maybe Phoebe Cates or someone like that. Also, replacing Tom Hardy with an actor who can actually talk would help all of the films he's been in immeasurably, stick Sean Penn in Lawless & James Franco in The Drop, sorted.

John Belushi was down to play Peter Venkman in Ghostbusters, but died giving the role to Bill Murray. 

I love Murray, who was brilliant but Belushi is my comedy hero and I would have loved to have seen him in that role. 

Frank Sinatra was the original choice to play Dirty Harry, fuck me - that would've been shite & then there's Kirk Douglas who was down to play RP McMurphy in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Probably not shite but Jack was perfect for that role.

On topic, you would've liked to have seen someone better than Sophia Coppola in The Godfather part III, maybe Phoebe Cates or someone like that. Also, replacing Tom Hardy with an actor who can actually talk would help all of the films he's been in immeasurably, stick Sean Penn in Lawless & James Franco in The Drop, sorted.

Kirk Douglas was down to it because Michael Douglas owned it's rites and his production company was in charge of making it. It worked out ok in the end.

Kirk Douglas was down to it because Michael Douglas owned it's rites and his production company was in charge of making it. It worked out ok in the end.

It was actually Michael Douglas who jibbed his Dad for Jack Nicholson.

Kirk Douglas had played the role in a stage production a few years prior.

It was actually Michael Douglas who jibbed his Dad for Jack Nicholson.

Kirk Douglas had played the role in a stage production a few years prior.

To be honest I could've imagined Kirk Douglas would have been very good when he played it on stage in the early 60's but he was way too old to do it in 75.

I think I read somewhere he wanted to make it then but no studio was interested.

• Upvote 1

I think Winona Ryder was offered it but turned it down.

• Upvote 1

Al Pacino as Reg Hollis in The Bill. I would’ve liked to have seen Gene Hackman in it, too, but I’m not sure who as.

Burnside obviously

• Upvote 1