The defender has been undergoing a rehabilitation programme since suffering the initial break at Turf Moor; however, after further diagnosis, the club’s medical staff believe he will benefit from a further procedure to enable a more complete recovery.

No timescale will be placed on an expected return date for Gomez, though it’s likely he will feature again this season.

Reflecting on the news, Jürgen Klopp told Liverpoolfc.com: “It’s a blow for the boy and for us - because prior to the injury he was in such fantastic shape.

“But he is too valuable to take any risk with, both for our present and future, so we get this procedure done and he comes back when he’s ready.

“His attitude during this rehab has been outstanding but it just hasn’t healed as we’d have liked so we will make this intervention and then he will come back.”

Gomez had made 18 appearances so far this season prior to sustaining the injury in December.

The 21-year-old added: “Obviously being out for longer than we’d first hoped for is hard to swallow but it’s part and parcel of the industry. It was an injury caused by an impact, like nearly all the injuries I’ve had in my career, so I know it’s just a case of when it’s fully healed I’m good to go again.

“The hardest part is not being able to help the team and contribute on the pitch at the moment, so it’s important I come back ready to go and this procedure will help with that. My only focus is getting back for Liverpool as soon as possible and I can promise the supporters I’ll be working hard every day to do that.”