You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cambridge Analytica

Spy Bee

While it kills me to agree with Numero - especially in his current third/fourth version of this persona - what is illegal here?

Coming from a fella who has been trumpeting a currency that no doubt has funded efforts like this and far more sinister - what is the message here?

You sign up for certain services on the internet you give this away.

Nelly -- where have they employed foreigners directly in a campaign?

• Downvote 2

I think NV raised pertinent questions. I am a born cynic and I am certain its dodgy,it always is,but the line between immoral and illegal is usually not crossed,more curved if you like. What is illegal here?

You've got 27,000+ posts and no gold membership.  That's a felony offence in Chez TK.

• Upvote 1

Well they seem to have missed the ICO's deadline and they've gone to court for a warrant.  So, something's up, whether the issue is ultimately the data or the relationship and collusion across borders which is the issue remains to be seen.  

How much is illegal is pretty immaterial (generally with emerging tech, ethics and principles need to be defined in order to effectively regulate - so can't agree with people shrugging it off, this is important and the pressure needs to be on), the system needs clarity.  Integrity is a pretty essential part of our system.  It'll only serve the incumbents as well, wouldn't trust the higher ups in government, intelligence agencies or these private firms to run free with this.  It's just a new way to keep the plebs in their place to that lot.

That video is embarrassing as well, really shockingly inelegant really.  Has a pop at demographics and then reveals the new approach... more demographics. It's ultimately just a matter of access and a lack of scruples (Eton's motto, that). No particular genius behind it all.  Advertising works... algorithms are efficient ways to process multiple analyses at once...  yep.

• Upvote 1

It certainly looks as though there is a case to answer under US Federal law regarding employment of foreign workers on a campaign.

In relation to other law there is no direct evidence of wrongdoing yet, but they basically alluded to using entrapment and balckmail as part of their arsenal, with one of senior members even going on about how he was good at playing roles.

They are now backtracking on that saying that they were playing along with that client because they had concerns. The problem with that explanation is that they appeared to raise and suggest those tactics over and above deep digging, and seven weeks after the meeting they were still writing to the undercover reporter trying to get the work.

The other issue for the information commissioner is whether there has been a breach of the Data Protection Act by their acquisition and use of Facebook data.

Finally, the chair of the Parliamentary Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Committee told Ch4 news that the information which has come out of the investigation contradicts answers Alexander Nix gave to the committee a few weeks ago, and they'll be hauling him back in because it appears he deliberately misled them. Unfortunately, I can't find a report saying whether his evidence was under oath or not.

These people are teflon though,arent they? They create the laws in order to circumvent them,whether its information law, environmental law,employment law or whatever and in the world now people are so busy trying to simply exist they just shrug their shoulders and move on. If Edward Snowden couldn't shake people's consciousness then surely this is no different?

While it kills me to agree with Numero - especially in his current third/fourth version of this persona - what is illegal here?

Coming from a fella who has been trumpeting a currency that no doubt has funded efforts like this and far more sinister - what is the message here?

You sign up for certain services on the internet you give this away.

Nelly -- where have they employed foreigners directly in a campaign?

If you are not paying for the product, you are the product.

As for the Bitcoin reference. I think you don't really know what you are talking about and are just believing the negative publicity. I'd rather support a decentralised currency which works for the average man, than one that is manipulated to support the establishment and the very rich. You know that QE basically reduced the value of your assets and your wages right?

I have worked in IT for years -- the first time I ever heard BitCoin was about four years ago -  it was part and parcel of virus for hire hackers and still is. TBH I don't know a single person who has ever had a transaction not to do with paying some unknown to unencrypt data but you might. That said I would be surprised if legitimate transactions made up even half of these. Not talking about trading (mining/investing whatever you want to call it) talking about payment for a product/service.

Be happy to hear about it though.

I have worked in IT for years -- the first time I ever heard BitCoin was about four years ago -  it was part and parcel of virus for hire hackers and still is. TBH I don't know a single person who has ever had a transaction not to do with paying some unknown to unencrypt data but you might. That said I would be surprised if legitimate transactions made up even half of these. Not talking about trading (mining/investing whatever you want to call it) talking about payment for a product/service.

Be happy to hear about it though.

That's the whole challenge. BTC has become more of a store of wealth than a highly usable currency - gold rather than cash if you will. They are trying to alter that with the Lightening Network upgrade. There are plenty of stats around about the number of transactions per currency.

Crypto is a lot bigger than BTC, and many coins are striving for mass adoption (when not a niche coin that can only be used in certain scenarios).

Is this really anything new? I mean, if I look at something online, a jacket or a pair of trainers or something, it’s always advertised on my timeline the next day. It’s a bit weird but surely it’s not a surprise.

Anyway, I’ve made some changes to my profile to combat the bastards. I’m now a 72 year old Mexican woman and I’ll be spending the rest of the week looking at taco recipes and browsing The Cancun Way.

Is this really anything new? I mean, if I look at something online, a jacket or a pair of trainers or something, it’s always advertised on my timeline the next day. It’s a bit weird but surely it’s not a surprise.

That is a million miles away from what they have done. Just look at the video I posted.