You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: That was the week that was (Mar 10-16 2018)

tlw content

theweekthatwas.jpg

Saturday Mar 10…  

United 2 L 1 Just fuck right off. Completely predictable and this is why every Red I know was dreading this game. I’m not angry at United for their second half bus parking, we know what to expect from them and it’s up to us to deal with it. I’m a little bit angry at the ref for his massive shithousery throughout the game, but mostly I’m angry at Klopp and our players for doing exactly what Mourinho expected them to do. Will we ever learn?  

He knows what we’re going to do and he knows how to stop it. In four games against his United side we’ve scored two goals. One was a penalty when a United player inexplicably handled under no pressure, and the other was the absolute fluke we scored today. Bailly could be in that exact same situation a thousand times and he’d never do that again. De Gea didn’t even have to make a save today.  

I love watching this team, but sometimes you can see they’ve frozen in the headlights and they fail to do things that are usually a matter of routine for them. I can think of half a dozen occasions today when we would have been in with a better pass or decision. Against another team, in another stadium, we would have been. Old Trafford and United often has this effect on us, and when you add in the Mourinho factor this is what you get.  

Some of our fans want United in the Champions League. Those fans are fucking batshit crazy. If we get Barca or Madrid or City they won’t change what they do because they’re playing us. They would never compromise their style on our account, and that’s exactly why we could beat them. Mourinho though, fucking hell.

It’s rare to find someone with an ego that big who genuinely does not give a single fuck what anyone thinks of him. The end always justifies the means with him and that’s why they need to be avoided at all costs.  

Sunday Mar 11…  

Bloody hell, that Carra thing was grim. Can’t defend it or justify it because it was terrible to see. Not as terrible as the stampede of people lining up to call him a twat, scumbag and all manner of other things though. What he did yesterday was unacceptable. He lost the plot for a few seconds for whatever reason and he did something inexcusable, but spare me the fucking moral judgements.  

The amount of stuff this fella does for people and causes in Liverpool and beyond makes him a much better person than me and most of you reading this. I’ve never spat at anybody but there’s lots of other things Carragher has done that I haven’t either, and nor have most of you. There’s barely a week goes by where he isn’t out there giving up his time doing something to help or benefit someone in his community, so take this ‘he’s a terrible person’ narrative and fucking shove it.  

He’s a good man who lost his head and did something horrible in the heat of the moment. The reason it was so shocking because it was so out of character. I mean, he gets shit from Mancs and Blues all the time and has never reacted like this, so what on Earth caused him to snap and react like that to this fucking trolling scrote? He probably doesn’t even know himself, but I do. It’s because he was in a car. 

Now come on, hear me out. When you’re behind the wheel and someone ‘wrongs’ you, it’s magnified by about, oh I don’t know, speaking personally I’d say about one thousand. I might even be under-selling it.  I’m generally mild mannered and I haven’t been in a fight since I was in school (and I wouldn’t even call that a fight, it was more me getting hit, having the temerity to swing back and then getting my arse kicked). I hate confrontation of any kind, but put me behind a wheel and that changes everything.  

I’m a good driver, very considerate of other road users and if it’s me in the wrong I’ll immediately acknowledge it. But if I’ve done nothing wrong and someone in another car so much as shakes their head at me, I’m ready to explode all over the fuckers. And if they beep their horn at me then all bets are off.  

So having some ballbag repeatedly drive alongside me, with his window down, calling me a scouse this and scouse that (which is apparently what happened before the clip that we’ve all seen) after we’ve just lost at Old Trafford…. I honestly don’t know what I’d do. I’d like to think I wouldn’t spit into his open window when his teenage daughter is sat in the passenger seat but until I’ve been in that situation I can’t know for certain.  

I haven’t ever spat at anybody before and it’s highly unlikely I ever will as spitting is a fucking horrible thing to do. But I’m fairly sure that until today Carragher had never done it either and that he feels exactly the same way about it that most of us do.  

It was a disgusting act and it’s one that he’ll pay for, probably not with his job (at least I hope not) but certainly with the damage to his reputation and the shame and embarrassment he’ll be feeling over it. The rest of the country will be putting the boot into him, I expect that, but it’s sad when I see so many of our own doing it.  

This is just a teaser, click here to view the rest of the article

Please note that 'The Week that Was' is only available to TLW website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first, registration is FREE) and can be purchased here.

Scolari had Fred and Jo as his centre forward options before the last World Cup. Diego Costa - who was miles better than either of those two - got fed up and decided to accept Spanish citizenship and turn out for Spain in 2014 instead. None of them had a good tournament. Costa was ill-suited to Spain's patient tiki-taka approach but Scolari's more pragmatic system would have suited him to a tee.

As for Dean Windass, he just seems like the type of guy who would polish off an extra large jar of pickled eggs for a bet.

• Upvote 1

My favourite shit Brazilian striker from the relatively recent past was Washington. Remember him? Utter dogshit...

I don't remember him, but I bet there's been loads of others. It's weird, they'll have a team packed with some of the world's best players and include a centre forward who plays in Qatar or Japan or China (before they started paying silly money to attract greedy bastards).

For every Ronaldo or Romario there's been six Freds.

Bebeto was actually bang average but he seemed ace because their strikers are normally so fucking terrible.

“All these knobheads giving it the “if he spat at my daughter then I’d *insert random act of machismo*”. Missing the point here lads. Unless you’re speeding after him on a motorway, hurling insults while filming on your phone and trying to get a rise out of him just so you can have your five minutes of fame and make some easy money from the papers, then I don’t think your daughters have anything to worry about.“

Not wanted to comment on the dreadful turd for a variety of reasons, but given he was doing the above, the hollowest laugh of the week has to be reserved for him saying he’s now worried about his daughter’s safety.

Eastenders produces less predictable and tiresome character dialogue.

• Upvote 2

I remember we were linked with a lumbering oaf called Leandro Damiao, as back-up to Andy Carroll.

EDIT: Bebeto was bang average?

Riding Romario's coat tails. Not saying he was shit, but he wasn't a Romario or Ronaldo.

People buzzed off him because he did that baby celebration at the world cup.

Scolari had Fred and Jo as his centre forward options before the last World Cup. Diego Costa - who was miles better than either of those two - got fed up and decided to accept Spanish citizenship and turn out for Spain in 2014 instead. None of them had a good tournament. Costa was ill-suited to Spain's patient tiki-taka approach but Scolari's more pragmatic system would have suited him to a tee.

As for Dean Windass, he just seems like the type of guy who would polish off an extra large jar of pickled eggs for a bet.

Not only did Brazil prefer Fred and Jo to Diego Costa in 2014 - they also chose Oscar in the playmaker role and left Coutinho at home.

I really expect to see Vágner Love this time around.

• Upvote 1

Remember going to a home game with Bradford years ago when Windass was playing for them. Good old Jeff Winter was refereeing and gave us a really dodgy penalty. The ball ran loose and as Winter strode into the box Windass walloped it at him from about 15 yards away & hit him right on the side of the head. When Winter finally stopped seeing stars he booked Windass but I didn't get the impression he was getting much of an apology as he took his name.

• Upvote 1