You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 4 West Ham 1 (Feb 24 2018)

tlw content

westhamreport2.jpg

Given the irritating habit we have of following up signature wins with stinking defeats, it was probably for the best we had last weekend off. The players had time to swagger about a bit in the sun and feel good about themselves following the demolition of Porto, but Klopp then had a week or so to get them ready for West Ham.

It worked out perfectly as the team produced one of their most convincing displays of the season and ran out easy winners. It wasn't the most dazzling or impressive performance we've seen (let's face it. we've been spoiled this season), but in terms of an all around job of dealing with the kind of bottom feeder that often gives us trouble, it was very good and very mature.

I didn’t think West Ham played badly. It’s easy (and enjoyable) to mock Moyes and his record against the top teams, but teams have played worse than West Ham and got results against us this season. He spoke of how hard it is to contain our front three and said that they did it in spells but not enough. He’s right, West Ham didn’t defend badly at all but now that Mané is himself again it’s almost impossible to keep our forwards in check. 

It’s the proverbial trying to put your finger in a dyke thing (get your minds out the gutter, you know what I'm talking about). You block one hole and another appears. You might even be able to block the second hole, but then the third busts open and suddenly you’re drowning and having to watch Firmino karate kicking an imaginary Mason Holgate. 

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full report

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. If you are not currently registered on the site, sign up for free and receive a FREE no obligation trial subscription, which gives you access to all the members only content for ONE MONTH.

• Upvote 1

"The full backs were terrific too, particularly Robertson who just continues to make himself more of a crowd favourite with every appearance. I love him, he's ace."

Love players like Robertson me, not world beaters but will give everything for the shirt that they wear, can win things with players like that .

The best thing about Robertson is that he’s as cool as a cucumber. Usually players that come from smaller clubs feel a pressure to perform and end up underwhelming because they can’t relax. I loved the bit yesterday where he was on the right wing for some reason breaking forward with the ball. Everyone’s screaming at him to play a through ball over the top but it was never on and would have left him exposed. He just dribbled past a couple of players and plays the ball inside keeping the attack going as cold as ice. He’s makes playing full back look easy to the point you wonder why we’ve struggled to find a left back for so long.

Great report Dave. I especially liked the part about when we slowed the game down after they scored. A slightly earlier version of this team, say pre Van Dijk, might have continued going hammer and tongs and ended up with a 3-3 result even after being well on top. The game management aspect of this side is growing and that will help us enormously as we move forward.

Best side we’ve had since the last title? Big claim. It’s close, but for me I want to see a bit of improvement in the midfield and then I’ll be happy to say that. If Keita does well, and I think he will, put me down for some of that too.

• Upvote 1

Goalie was better then. If we sign Alisson maybe today’s team gets the nod in this department, but not now.

Defence is close, especially with the addition of VVD, but I’d still give the nod to the Hyypia side. With a bit more time maybe the current defence will be seen as better, as it’s only just coming together.

Midfield was better before. That’s the part that’s easiest to say, especially if Gerard is classed as a midfielder. Mind you, our current midfield is not bad, and with Keita it will improve further, but the midfield back then was just imperious.

Forwards better now. Torres at his peak was of course excellent, but now we’ve got three coming at you from all angles, and the pace and movement is on another level today.

It’s close, but the previous side edges it. Add Keita and Alisson and with a few games under its belt to knit together, I think the new side wins.

Goalie was better then. If we sign Alisson maybe today’s team gets the nod in this department, but not now.

Defence is close, especially with the addition of VVD, but I’d still give the nod to the Hyypia side. With a bit more time maybe the current defence will be seen as better, as it’s only just coming together.

Midfield was better before. That’s the part that’s easiest to say, especially if Gerard is classed as a midfielder. Mind you, our current midfield is not bad, and with Keita it will improve further, but the midfield back then was just imperious.

Forwards better now. Torres at his peak was of course excellent, but now we’ve got three coming at you from all angles, and the pace and movement is on another level today.

It’s close, but the previous side edges it. Add Keita and Alisson and with a few games under its belt to knit together, I think the new side wins.

Defence and midfield aren't even remotely close. Vvd is the only one who might get a game in Rafas side and that's not difinite.

Attack so much better.

Reina

Carra

Sami

Xabi

Macherano

Gerrard

Torres

We’re fucking ace to watch but we’ve still a long way to go to matching that side.

Man for man that side is better than the current one. It had more stars and several players who would walk into today's side, but that team achieved nothing even with all that talent. This team is much better for me, mostly because of the manager.

They score more goals and they're much more enjoyable to watch, which again, is because of the manager and his style.

If this team can become a bit more resilient and stop shipping so many stupid goals it won't even be a discussion.

The only real concern I have with this team is whether they can do it when the stakes are at their highest, as the last few years we've had too many letdowns on the big occasion.

• Upvote 3

Man for man that side is better than the current one. It had more stars and several players who would walk into today's side, but that team achieved nothing even with all that talent. This team is much better for me, mostly because of the manager.

They score more goals and they're much more enjoyable to watch, which again, is because of the manager and his style.

If this team can become a bit more resilient and stop shipping so many stupid goals it won't even be a discussion.

The only real concern I have with this team is whether they can do it when the stakes are at their highest, as the last few years we've had too many letdowns on the big occasion.

I agree with your general point here Dave, not sure if you saw my post but that side managed by Klopp would have won the league no doubt.

We have a manager who I believe would have got more out of that side.

It would be a cracking game between the two sides but I believe that Rafa team would always win over two legs.

They didn't beat Chelsea. Riise saw to that.

Do I need to point out who Riise would be up against if these two sides met? 

*Mic drop*

Not having that this team is better than the 08/09 team.....not yet anyway.

86 pts in the league that season and quarters in champions league..

Just the 2 league defeats all season only 27 goals conceeded - this team has let in 32 already (ok it scores more)

I'd still have the 08/09 side over this one right now Gerrard, Alonso, Mascherano in Imagine them in their prime compared to our current midfield....hopefully though we are on the verge of this side with a few more tweaks eclipsing that one and going one better in the league.