You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Porto 0 Liverpool 5 (Feb 14 2018)

tlw content

portoreport1.jpg

Nothing this team does surprises me anymore, especially in Europe. They could go to the Nou Camp and score six and I wouldn’t be shocked. Delighted, obviously, but not shocked. I don’t think many teams in Europe can cope with the speed and style of play. Beating Porto 5-0 away is a remarkable result but if you were shocked by it then you couldn’t have been paying attention in the group stage. 

Porto will have fancied their chances against us and that proved to be their undoing. Attack this team at your peril. If our front three have space to run into then they’re close to unstoppable. When they’re backed up by a midfield in this kind of form, they are unstoppable. 

The best way to play against us is not a style that many sides in Europe like to adopt and that’s why we’re the top scorers in the competition. It’s hard for a team that is the best in their own league to suddenly transform themselves into a park the bus bottom feeder. They aren’t used to it, and ego also plays a part. You can’t expect Porto to play like Swansea did, especially not at home. 

That’s what you have to do though, or this is what can happen. We’ve been absolutely fucking murdering teams in Europe this year and putting up the kind of scores that we’ve not seen before, not even in our European heyday. The days of going somewhere and quietening the crowd and coming away with a 0-0 or a 1-0 defeat to take back to Anfield are long gone. We’re going away from home and fucking webbing teams everywhere. 

5-0 against a team of Porto’s stature in the knockout stages is not only the kind of thing we’ve never really done, it’s something that very few sides outside of Spain’s big two have been capable of. We’ve been like this throughout this year’s European campaign, even going back to the qualifier when Hoffenheim were taken apart. 

The only issue has been giving away silly goals at the other end (we battered Sevilla twice but let them off the hook, and the world’s leading scientists are still trying to get to the bottom of how Spartak held us to a draw in Moscow), but against Porto the defence were every bit as good as the forwards. Porto had only one good chance all night. 

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full report

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. If you are not currently registered on the site, sign up for free and receive a FREE no obligation trial subscription, which gives you access to all the members only content for ONE MONTH.

Did we win?

That millimetre-perfect pass to Milner from Mane. Didn't it take a slight deflection from one of their defenders?

I was shocked and amazed when I heard Roy Keane and Lee Dixon on the ITV highlights show. Keane saying "they've won nothing yet" and Dixon following up with "Liverpool have always got a Swansea or West Brom result in them". Carry on boys, carry on.

• Upvote 3

I thought Porto were caught between two stools. They clearly didn't want to do a Swansea, but were obviously shit scared of our pace and didn't want to leave any space in behind, and were consequently very cautious....and ended up not doing one thing or the other. Their dilemma was magnified the moment the first goal went in.Better teams than Porto are going to face the same conundrum.

On a different topic, I noticed that the Real penalty for the arm round Kroos' neck against PSG was virtually identical to the challenge on Bobby F at Southampton, where, of course, we didn't get the pen. Hoddles' reaction was that it was '100% certain'. On the other hand, Jonathan Pearce's mealy-mouthed comment on MotD2 was that Bob 'may have had a case if he hadn't been so theatrical'. Quelle surprise.

Thought the ref was good last night....... in contrast to the shower of useless bastards we have to put up with week in, week out.

I like watching a lot of Serie A and the Bundesliga. Their refs actually talk to the players instead of treating them like naughty school kids all the time. Yes I know some can be naughty school kids but is that a cause and effect thing.

Yeah sometimes players in Serie A and the bundesliga surround the ref but there does not seem to be the venom that you get in the Premier League when they do it. Last weekend in a Bundesliga game a player taking a corner got pelted with sweets. I think it was Mainz fans lobbing them at the players. The ref went over as if to say what are you doing and noticed they were sweets. So he picked one up and offered it to one of the players and they had a laugh about it. Then the ref ate it. Could you imagine Atkinson Moss Mason and others doing that. No me neither.

• Upvote 1

I like watching a lot of Serie A and the Bundesliga. Their refs actually talk to the players instead of treating them like naughty school kids all the time. Yes I know some can be naughty school kids but is that a cause and effect thing.

Yeah sometimes players in Serie A and the bundesliga surround the ref but there does not seem to be the venom that you get in the Premier League when they do it. Last weekend in a Bundesliga game a player taking a corner got pelted with sweets. I think it was Mainz fans lobbing them at the players. The ref went over as if to say what are you doing and noticed they were sweets. So he picked one up and offered it to one of the players and they had a laugh about it. Then the ref ate it. Could you imagine Atkinson Moss Mason and others doing that. No me neither.

Moss and Mason would stop the game to eat all of the sweets themselves.

• Upvote 4

Thought the ref was good last night....... in contrast to the shower of useless bastards we have to put up with week in, week out.

Agree totally. Apparently Moss is the best in the league!!!!! God fucking help us. Why don't the premier league recruit Collina has head of Refereeing and let him oversea the hiring of the best officials in Europe or further afield ? 

I know there will be the usual whining from the FA but fuck them their  officials are not fit for purpose. 

Agree totally. Apparently Moss is the best in the league!!!!! God fucking help us. Why don't the premier league recruit Collina has head of Refereeing and let him oversea the hiring of the best officials in Europe or further afield ? 

I know there will be the usual whining from the FA but fuck them their  officials are not fit for purpose. 

recruit collina, wow that'll go down well at woodison

Dare I say it, but we are starting to resemble Klopp's Dortmund team now, especially the speed at which we break on teams. That 3rd goal was a work of art.

We are definitely, we're some way from the finished article despite Porto. I like the fact that Klopp is changing the balance of the side. We're looking a lot more effective defensively without losing our attacking prowess.

I thought that the contrast in the overall Champions League commentary was amazing. Apparently, City magnificently dismantled Basel and Porto were a load of rubbish who wouldn't do well in the Championship.

And spurs come back against Juventus was the greatest performance by an English team in Europe,ever!!!

(It was pretty good to be fair)

• Upvote 1