You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Season Ticket Amnesty

Sputnik1

A season ticket amnesty is set to be launched by Liverpool FC within four months - and photographic ID will be part of the proposal.

Anfield has more than 26,000 season ticket holders yet many of those are used by supporters whose name is not on the ticket, with fans tending to pass them down through families rather than risk losing them to the season ticket waiting list.

Security issues are at the heart of the club's desire to offer an amnesty so that a much clearer picture can actually emerge of who is actually inside the ground on a match day.

The club's second Ticket Availability forum was held on Sunday and heard from Phil Dutton, LFC's head of ticketing and hospitality.

Mr Dutton said: “We are aware that many of our fans have been urging us to do this and the completion of the Main Stand has now enabled us to make progress on this important initiative.

“I must stress that this isn’t about taking season tickets away from supporters – we are aware that not all season tickets are held in the name of the supporter who attends the matches but this is about bringing our records up to date with the primary owner of the season ticket and providing updated contact details.

"We are also aware that the primary season ticket holder isn’t always able to attend the match and our ongoing discussions with this Fan Forum will include this point and how best to deal that."

More details about the amnesty - which it is hoped would be completed by the start of the 2019/20 season - were provided by Tom Boardman, senior project manager at LFC, who revealed that the process would involve supporters providing photo ID.

“This could be done online via an App or in person at the ticket office,” he said.

“Individual season ticket holders would be able to upload a picture online in order for those season tickets to be assigned correctly. In future, this might allow pictures to be used on season tickets.”

Forum members supported the principle of the amnesty but were divided on the idea of photo ID on the tickets. Mr Dutton said that issue was for "the next stage" and initially pictures would just be used "to put season tickets in the right names.”

Forum member Kieth Culvin said fans needed to be able to transfer a ticket at late notice if they were unexpectedly unable to attend a game.

Mr Dutton said in reply: "“If your son is using your season ticket to come to the game it could simply be a case of transferring your ticket to him on the phone.

"There are a range of options that we are looking at, including a friends and family scheme with season ticket holders being able to make nominations for that at the start of every season because, as I said, we want to make this as easy as possible for our supporters to come to the game.

"If a supporter owns one (a season ticket) that belonged to his or her uncle who died many years ago just tell us and we will put it in your name.”

.................. https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-launch-season-ticket-amnesty-14270585

It’s great for getting those tickets in relatives names transferred over but I don’t get how it gets round the issue of people going in on other peoples tickets to be fair.

You could go the ground and show your ID then give the ticket back to whoever you’re selling it to.

Good step in the right direction though and it’s good to see some changes coming from these forums

Absolutely no excuse not to use the latest technology to allow people to transfer tickets to others when they cannot attend. if you can have credit cards, boarding passes etc on your phone they why not your ticket? 

Say I wake up the morning of a game and I can't go due to unforeseen circumstances, well I simply log in or run an app and place my ticket on there. People registered on the app will have given a minimum notice period of time they need in order to go and have their payment method sorted, they are offered my ticket. It's then transferred to their phone and they scan to get in. 

It's not rocket science and shouldn't really cost too much. The robbing bastards at our club steal a fucking huge portion of your ticket price if you currently place it in the ticket exchange and sell it for more. touting twats. They don't even give you cash, just a discount on your next years season ticket. I fucking loathe this club, its greed and incompetence. 

• Upvote 2

I do not see the issue with letting your spouse, son, daughter or friend use your seasie if you cannot go the game. You pay for your ticket and if you cannot go the game and the club re sells it you get a measley £31 back while the clubs sells it again for 48. How does an average 17 service charge work again. The ones they need to clamp down on are the people who hold seasies never go and sell them match by match outside the gound.

• 1 year later...

Just read that and have no real idea what it all means.

i share my season ticket with 4 lads. It works for us as I can’t justify the cost and time going to all games, and they now regularly get to go to the match.

if this process is going to put that in jeopardy I’ll be really annoyed.

29 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Just read that and have no real idea what it all means.

i share my season ticket with 4 lads. It works for us as I can’t justify the cost and time going to all games, and they now regularly get to go to the match.

if this process is going to put that in jeopardy I’ll be really annoyed.

I think this bit might apply to you. 

The ECHO understands Liverpool are hopeful 'Fan Update' will empower supporters who were previously worried about having their family's ticket revoked to come forward to explain their specific situations.

I think they're going to come up with a system where you'll have to inform them each time the ticket is being used by anyone other than the registered holder. They could well come up with a nominated other person usage scheme.

• Upvote 1

If this cuts down on touting which is rife at Anfield then fair play.

They need to find a way to facilitate people sharing a season ticket and the owner still going regular.

But to be honest the season ticket holders who haven’t been a game in years but rent it out because they like having a ticket with no intention of going again are stopping the waiting list moving so that’s a problem too. I hope they do something about that

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, sir roger said:

It will be a wheeze to try and get more people putting tickets on the resale site where they get a rake-off.

I certainly wouldn't be telling them if I was sharing a ticket.

You would run the risk of losing that season ticket then Rog.  I think it’s easy to have a go at them over this one with the view above.  In reality though when you think about it they would be paying an excess to the tout which doesn’t go to the club and also generally you’d have to know the tout in the first place.  I doubt the club would make as much as a tout would out of reselling and I think the PR would be a nightmare.  It would be a lot fairer if the club was reselling it.

I get my dads season ticket about 3/4 times a year and would have no qualms letting them know it.  The season ticket hogging situation at Anfield now is beyond a joke and they should have addressed it years ago.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, sir roger said:

It will be a wheeze to try and get more people putting tickets on the resale site where they get a rake-off.

I certainly wouldn't be telling them if I was sharing a ticket.

My own view is that they are looking for a way to punish shared season tickets and release them back to the market,either new ST holders or more general sale. It will be linked to making more money somehow,eg more general sale= OOTs and more merchandise sales.

• Upvote 1

It’s a tricky situation, because no one trusts the club not to be doing this to gouge more money out of fans, but I reckon that people should only have a season ticket if they use it.

All this hogging for years is a cunts trick if you ask me.

If people actually gave them up when they couldn’t go, then people who could go would get one rather than being 5000 on the list for the next 20 years.

Once a lot got back into circulation then it would be easier for people who gave them up to get one back once they could afford or were able to attend the match regularly again.

But the majority of fans seem happy to support the current climate.

• Upvote 3

While walking along in desert sand, you suddenly look down and see a tortoise crawling toward you. You reach down and flip it over onto its back. The tortoise lies there, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs, trying to turn itself over, but it cannot do so without your help. You are not helping. Why?

It's not cooked yet. 10 minutes each side. 

Do I get my season ticket back?

I'd prefer as part of the test them to play YNWA and if the person claps before the last verse, ban them for life. 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, φαίνω said:

While walking along in desert sand, you suddenly look down and see a tortoise crawling toward you. You reach down and flip it over onto its back. The tortoise lies there, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs, trying to turn itself over, but it cannot do so without your help. You are not helping. Why?

Had no idea the test included questions about Harry Maguire.

• Upvote 1

Seeing what Peter Moore has said earlier I’m confident he genuinely is trying to stop touts without punishing true fans who share a season ticket with friends and family.

Being a tout has been way too easy. One way of doing it is buying i.e. 20 memberships, get 13+ loyalties on the card, and then have a secure access to 20 tickets each home game at FV price. Then pass on the card to your customer for 2-3 times the price or more. All you have to do is give him the fancard and collect it when the customer has passed the turnstile. If you can afford the outlay anyone can do it, making a pretty good living for themselves. Then you can add the deals made between touts and season ticket holders.

Liverpool FC wants to do something about it and people moan? Put your reality glasses on please! If  the clubs wants to stop touting this way, registering  the name of the one you pass on your season ticket to isn’t that big an ask, is it?