You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Munich Aircrash 60 years ago today 6 Feb 1958

dockers_strike

Sad business the whole thing. First and foremost for those who died and also their families and loved ones. Then for Man Utd and then also for the wider game. The bit I know about Duncan Edwards, for example, makes me wonder where he would have ended up in the pantheon of greats had he survived and played on. Stuff like that is everyone’s loss (not intended to be disrespectful to his family at all).

Anyway, just want to echo everyone’s sentiments. RIP and respect to all affected.

As for the money, it was troubling to read the excerpt above. Hopefully the club has done something more for the families, but looking closer to home and considering our own house, there are plenty of ex Liverpool players who helped build the club who have fallen on hard times and the club did nothing. The business side of it can be really harsh and unfair, unfortunately. And it needn’t be.

Lad next to me in work (City fan) was telling me that in the old Maine Road they had a bar at the back of a stand called the Frank Swift stand. He was a reporter and on the plane when it crashed. he died. Apparently this didn't stop a certain element singing Munich songs in the same bar. 

It makes me sick when I hear some of our lot sign about Munich. Regardless of what fans of Utd/Everton want to sing, we shouldn't be lowering ourselves. 

RIP The Busby Babes. 

Anyone singing out Munich deservesva good kicking. Apart from any other reason that should be enough Busby was a former Liverpool captain. Probably would have been the manager had the board not been fucking shite (not that it turned out bad that he didn't get it).

c310d53912517b6ca1e596b39b3d83c9.jpg

• Upvote 1

This is from Stephen Morrin's book on the disaster:

swa43k.jpg

Ha! Nothing sums up the mancs better than that bit of writing, the Hucknall stuff is vomit inducing.

Suprised the mancs haven't tried to copyright the disaster to be honest.

Lot of this stuff doesn't sit well with me in all honesty, I've got sympathy for those who died and their families but I don't associate it with a club or a fan base as such or feel any great need to show solidarity or 'put rivalries aside' any more than I would about Grenfell or the Warrington bomb. It was a tragedy.

I feel the same when certain other clubs, notably this lot and Everton show any kind of emotion towards Hillsborough. Feels a bit cheap and hollow somehow. Mourn and reflect as individual humans beings if they must, but the 'we come in peace stuff' is all a bit naff.

• Upvote 1

Some lad I know constantly slags the Mancs off on a daily basis yet as soon as February 6th comes around its how boss a person he is for changing his profile picture on Facebook to the Busby babes.

I'm like you Section, I feel that a lot of this rivalries aside business is all for show. I don't really think many Mancs genuinely feel any sympathy towards us over Hillsborough. They always say "what about Heysel?". A lot of Evertonians i know have been saying for years that we killed our own fans yet when the inquest verdict was announced it was all fake JFT96.

If it was up to me only us would have a minutes silence the weekend of April 15th because it reduces the opportunity for knobheads to sing through it like Chelsea do then everyone get wound up about it for weeks after it.

• Upvote 1

Although I'm a massive Liverpool fan, My Dad is a big Utd fan and has been for over 70 years, the Babes were his heroes, especially Duncan Edwards.

In 1997 for his 60th birthday,  the family paid for Jackie Blanchflower to spend the afternoon in a local club chatting to my Dad, he was on the after dinner circuit at the time so we just paid his fee and he was telling us loads of stories about the Babes, my Dad was in his element!

• Upvote 4