You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Munich Aircrash 60 years ago today 6 Feb 1958

dockers_strike

My Dad used to talk a lot about Munich and how it struck a chord with the whole country whoever you supported,  I was just reading about Roger Byrne and Jackie Blanchflower who were so badly injured they could never play again,  I hope all reds can show some respect however badly a few Utd fans have behaved towards our dead,  RIP.

• Upvote 1

It's sad what happened.

But, today's ceremony, whilst well done and a nice tribute, really highlights the hypocrisy of some United fan's "grief junkies," "self pity city" and "move on" shouts, re: Liverpool.

And highlights how daft some Liverpool fans sound when they refer to Manchester United as "Munich". Both clubs have their idiots.

RIP

• Upvote 5

LFC offered them players to get through their first few matches after the tragedy. I hope we’re still human enough to do the same if god forbid the same thing happened again.

"God" forbid anything like that happens again (I don't believe in God but it is a saying isn't it) but they'd probably say 'thanks for the offer but we'll manage' if we offered them Mignolet for example!

That aside it is a terrible tragedy and like all tragedies should transcend rivalry - all the knobheads on both sides of our clubs support should hang their heads for ever stooping so low as to use the loss of lives to score points in a football rivalry.

RIP

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2015/08/13/duncan-edwards-boy-wonder/

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2018/02/06/liam-whelan-the-unheralded-irishman-who-became-a-busby-babe/

My dad used to talk a lot of the Busby Babes and Whelan and Edwards in particular. Rest in peace to them.

Football is full of twats and we have plenty of our own. I hate what has happened to the derby but our level of hatred with the Mancs is shocking and vice versa. I've been guilty of it in the past but i would never insult the memory of a great team and the loss of life.

It would be great if both sets of fans could show the appropriate respect.

• Upvote 2

As others have said, this was a tragedy, nothing more or less. There is nothing to be gleaned from this incident but sadness, a sense of loss and respect. This is not just a Manchester United tragedy, but one for football and society as a whole. No currency, no schadenfreude, no general fucking nastiness.

These were different days, still fledgeling methods of travel to far flung places when the world was a massive place.

My Dad saw Duncan Edwards and a few others that died play and said the game was robbed. Manchester, England and the working class fabric of football was robbed.

Those were the days when there was actual respect and decency, people enjoyed talent, performance no matter where it came from.

Even though there was rivalry, there were standards and appreciation.

I know the world has moved on, not for the better as far as human nature is concerned and hatred and stupidity is commonlace, but I'd more than welcome a return to those values.

When football supporters of all clubs, instead of being cunts and a throwing coins at players, actually appreciated what they saw. And also when Footballers distinguished themselves  for and in the community they represented and the written and visual press weren't so infatuated with the prurient and the sensational.

I often talked to my old Gramps about football and he  and my Dad both said that Best and Law were among the best they had ever seen play and looked forward to watching them, obviously they wanted Liverpool to win every game they played, but notwithstanding that, they also looked forward to seeing what they had read about and seen eulogised in a press that was much less savage.

I've been on the Kop many times and experienced the vile atmosphere of a United home game, I've been to a few United aways aswell, and as you'd expect, insults are traded and vitriol overflows, but Munich stuff is out of order and I've said so to those doing it.

There is nothing in the Munich disaster that should be used for oneupmanship of petty rivalries. These were fellas who went away from home to play football, it wasn't a war, they travelled to represent their club and England and its game and most didn't come back alive.

Taking the piss out of that is low, no matter what other clubs fans sing about Hillsborough and/or Heysel, we should and do know better than that. Just because other people and society in general revel in cuntery, it doesn't mean that we have to do it.

• Upvote 8

Got nothing but love for the victims and their families. I think they've been very badly treated over the years. United held a benefit match a few years ago, and Cantona, who played in the game, got paid twice as much as the individual families did. That can't be right.

• Upvote 2

Got nothing but love for the victims and their families. I think they've been very badly treated over the years. United held a benefit match a few years ago, and Cantona, who played in the game, got paid twice as much as the individual families did. That can't be right.

Kinell, really? I know they were shits to Jackie Blanchflower at the time, but I think that was more to do with the Edwards family than the club.