You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Winter break from 2019 - 20 season?

dockers_strike

The Premier League is considering introducing a winter break when a television rights deal is next agreed.

The top leagues in Germany, France, Italy and Spain all take time out in mid-season.

The Football Association has previously said a winter break is not feasible until the end of the current television deal in 2019.

Talks have been ongoing for several months and are understood to have been constructive.

A January break has been under discussion, so if it gets agreed it would not impact on the traditional festive football schedule.

An announcement on the next Premier League TV rights is expected next week. The league is seeking an increase on the current £5.14bn deal which includes 168 live matches a season, with Sky holding five packages of games and BT two.

The prospect of a winter break is referenced in the tender documents that have been sent to broadcasters. The next TV deal will cover 2019 to 2022.

"The Premier League has been in discussions with the FA and EFL for several months regarding the challenges of the increasingly congested English football calendar and ways in which we can work together to ease fixture congestion while also giving players a mid-season break," the Premier League said in a statement.

"Provided space can be found in the calendar, we are open to this in principle and will continue constructive discussions with our football stakeholders to seek a workable solution."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42954835

One of the reasons given for not having a winter break in this country is that the fans love the festive schedule. Tickets cost a fortune these days and because of the schedule, fans are unlikely to see their team play well or put out the strongest side each time. There simply isn't enough recovery time for the players, and the coaches get no respite at all.

I've said for years that the top flight should have a winter break and if fans need their live football fix, they should support local lower league teams instead.

Let’s say there’s a 2 week break, 2 or 3 games will have to be squeezed into the calendar, more than likely to be played in midweek. Travel arrangements for the away fans for a midweek fixture is a twat. The top teams have the Champs League and Europa Cup kicking back off mid Feb too. So some fixtures will have to be crammed in elsewhere. Cramming fixtures in elsewhere to save cramming them in in January. If they were serious in wanting a better quality game with fresher players, they should do something with the Xmas Schedule, not that I want that touching, instead of January. I can’t see what having a closure in January achieves.

MID-SEASON BREAK

The thoughts of a fan

Managers, predominantly in the Premier League, seem to be the driving force behind the idea that Players would benefit from a mid-season break. It is thought this would make them fresher for the key matches at the end of the season and, of course, for any international tournament that may follow. The media seems to think this makes sense and it appears to observers such as myself that it is only a matter of time before something along these lines is introduced.

The match going fan is, perhaps, the only stakeholder that takes a different view. As a committed supporter of a PL side, I detest missing my weekend football for International breaks, never mind a construct along these lines. I do not wish to see a break of this nature in the middle of an exciting season.

And, it seems to me, the whole idea is flawed. The only way Players will be fresher is if they play fewer games. Keeping the same number of games but missing a couple of weeks in the middle of the season would appear to necessitate and extension to the season as a whole. This eats into the only real break Players enjoy at present – the all too short summer recess. Given, in the case of a mid-season break, Players would be expected to keep fit, probably train and retain their normal in season regime, it can be argued it is not as beneficial as the summer break when Players can down tools altogether if only for a brief period.

Cutting the number of games appears anathema to the hierarchy who would rebel against a reduction in match day and TV income and so this possibility is remote.

So where does that leave us? Managers (and the media) seem to want a break but do not appear to have fully considered the consequences. If the number of games is not reduced Players would not be fresher at all over the long run – maybe only for a short period immediately after the break. Fans, on the whole, do not want a mid-season break at all. If I want to watch all my team’s games I might be forced to take a skiing rather than a beach holiday.

With this in mind, I have given some thought to an alternative option that might find favour in a number of quarters. Every other industry gives staff some period of leave to be taken at an agreed time. My proposal is that each member of the PL playing squad is given two weeks “holiday” that must be taken consecutively at some point between November and March each season. During that period, the Player should not be allowed on the Club’s premises and he can switch off completely for the period. The Club can, in conjunction with the Player, decide when the break is taken based on fitness and fatigue.

In this way, the Player will get an appropriate break and be fresher for the run in and any international tournament. Fans will be happy as they will not have to miss their weekend footy fix (notwithstanding a Player or two missing at some point). Owners will not lose income from deleted games and, whilst Managers will rue star Players not being available, it will add to the strategic decisions they have to make during the year.

Personally, I do not wish to see any form of mid-season break but, if it is as inevitable as it seems, this proposal would be my preferred option.

I find it hard to feel any sympathy with players needing a break. Quite the opposite, I was furious on Sunday when most of our overpaid fannies ran out of gas after 45 minutes against Tottenham fucking Hotspur, hardly a team renowned for their turbo charged football,  Just get fitter you cunts, 

MID-SEASON BREAK The thoughts of a fan Managers, predominantly in the Premier League, seem to be the driving force behind the idea that Players would benefit from a mid-season break. It is thought this would make them fresher for the key matches at the end of the season and, of course, for any international tournament that may follow. The media seems to think this makes sense and it appears to observers such as myself that it is only a matter of time before something along these lines is introduced. The match going fan is, perhaps, the only stakeholder that takes a different view. As a committed supporter of a PL side, I detest missing my weekend football for International breaks, never mind a construct along these lines. I do not wish to see a break of this nature in the middle of an exciting season. And, it seems to me, the whole idea is flawed. The only way Players will be fresher is if they play fewer games. Keeping the same number of games but missing a couple of weeks in the middle of the season would appear to necessitate and extension to the season as a whole. This eats into the only real break Players enjoy at present – the all too short summer recess. Given, in the case of a mid-season break, Players would be expected to keep fit, probably train and retain their normal in season regime, it can be argued it is not as beneficial as the summer break when Players can down tools altogether if only for a brief period. Cutting the number of games appears anathema to the hierarchy who would rebel against a reduction in match day and TV income and so this possibility is remote. So where does that leave us? Managers (and the media) seem to want a break but do not appear to have fully considered the consequences. If the number of games is not reduced Players would not be fresher at all over the long run – maybe only for a short period immediately after the break. Fans, on the whole, do not want a mid-season break at all. If I want to watch all my team’s games I might be forced to take a skiing rather than a beach holiday. With this in mind, I have given some thought to an alternative option that might find favour in a number of quarters. Every other industry gives staff some period of leave to be taken at an agreed time. My proposal is that each member of the PL playing squad is given two weeks “holiday” that must be taken consecutively at some point between November and March each season. During that period, the Player should not be allowed on the Club’s premises and he can switch off completely for the period. The Club can, in conjunction with the Player, decide when the break is taken based on fitness and fatigue. In this way, the Player will get an appropriate break and be fresher for the run in and any international tournament. Fans will be happy as they will not have to miss their weekend footy fix (notwithstanding a Player or two missing at some point). Owners will not lose income from deleted games and, whilst Managers will rue star Players not being available, it will add to the strategic decisions they have to make during the year. Personally, I do not wish to see any form of mid-season break but, if it is as inevitable as it seems, this proposal would be my preferred option.

I'd rather a mid paragraph break.

• Upvote 3

They have to factor in a winter break because the 2022 World Cup in Qatar is going to mess with the scheduling in 2021/22, and there are knock-on effects to consider for the seasons either side of that.

People in power know how to make themselves and their buddies rich, but they usually make a complete fuck-up of absolutely everything else. That's how Qatar persuaded all those dickheads that they could host a World Cup in June/July. It was only after it was confirmed that the goalposts were shifted to move the tournament to the early part of the year when the climate is a lot more bearable.

I can’t say I won’t miss it at Christmas, but it’s totally worth it.

Christmas football is the only good thing about Christmas. That said, a winter break makes sense on so many levels.

No, absolutely love the Christmas footy.

It will be in January

It'll be pointless anyway. Give it a year or two and they'll be spending the 'break' travelling halfway round the world for meaningless friendlies.

This, how much money can be made from it is all that will happen.  The intensity of friendlies wouldn't be as close though.   I've not really got a problem with that if the money is invested in the team.  All the big clubs will be at it.