You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 2 Tottenham 2 (Feb 4 2018)

tlw content

Lots of debate in the media about the penalty calls, but none of them mention the fact that Moss was an utter cunt for 90 minutes, giving them absolutely everything, penalising every minimal contact by us and letting them away with all kinds of shit - the high boot Dave mentions (should have been a yellow), a studs up flying tackle on TAA. You hear a round of ironic cheers from every home crowd, but I've never witnessed nearly the whole of the Main Stand jumping to its feet and roaring and clapping away when we finally got a decision - even the guys around me who never open their gobs from one match to the next.

Terribly one-sided to an extent where you have to ask the question: “Match-fix?"

This so-called ref gave a yellow to TAA for a tackle on Davies that was less dangerous than the one Davies had on TAA just minutes earlier. Two footed flying tackle studs first. Not even a f**** free kick for that career threatening challenge on TAA.

The pens, especially the first one, combined with the overall refereeing, suggests Moss and his compatriot linesman wanted Spurs to win this. Match-fix? Really? No, I don’t think so, but the question is logical.

I really hope we get a similar situation this week. A pass is played towards a player 5 yards offside, but on its way clearly touches a defender. The offside positioned player scores only to see it being ruled out for offside. Can’t  wait to listen to Jon Moss explaining why.

I really hope we get a similar situation this week. A pass is played towards a player 5 yards offside, but on its way clearly touches a defender. The offside positioned player scores only to see it being ruled out for offside. Can’t  wait to listen to Jon Moss explaining why.

This is the issue- it must happen again and again- more than we realise. I guess it will come down to interpretation of whether the defender is playing the ball or its just bounced off of him. You also have to decide whether the offside player is actually interfering/influencing the defenders action by being there.

Add to that, is this all happening in unison when the ball is actually played.

However, if the player then receives the ball and proceeds to dive, this will not be taken into account when making any decisions. Clearly.

I noticed Carra on MNF again being adamant that the first decision was correct, based on the way the current rules are applied. 

I think the moment the ball is passed to Kane, who is offside, then it's offside. This current interpretation is madness, however Carra's argument was that the moment Lovren goes to clear it, it's a deliberate action (to clear the ball), and therefore the 'new phase' of play begins when he touched it. 

Also said was a pen when Karius came out.

Said the 2nd one was a pen, Van Dijk tried to pull his leg away but it was too late, and made contact with Lamela.

Personally, I don't think either were, and were incredibly soft, and the circumstances in which they were given were very odd.

Dave - where are we at in the 'worst ref in the Premier League' competition? Still Madley for you? This fat cunt and Pawson  gotta be up there.

Pawson isn't as bad as those two. Madley is a buffoon but there's an honsty about his mistakes. I don't dislike Madley I just think he's out of his depth. Moss is out of his depth and is a bad twat to boot.

Andre Marriner's display in the game with City stands out like a beacon in a sea of shit.

The rule makes sense if Lovren has possession of the football, tries to play a backpass, and it's intercepted by Kane in an offside position. It shouldn't apply when the defender does not have control of the football, eg when a through ball deflects off him.

• Upvote 3

I'd suggest even Lovren would have made a better attempt to clear the ball if Kane hadn't been lurking behind him. If so, Kane is interfering with play and the "new phase" argument doesn't hold water.

The bigger issue for me is the second pen. I'm not sure Virgiul even touched him; if he did it was minimal and he was attempting to pull out. Lamela has "made the most of it" but Moss waves play on. How can the lino overrule him from 50 yards away?

Good news is Chelski are imploding.

• Upvote 1

One thing I just can't get my around is there has been almost no reaction from the media about Kane admitting going down to win the penalty. He's basically saying he's simulated the action to win a pen. I hate this bollocks about 'if there is contact a player is ENTITLED to go down (i.e. DIVE!). The way Kane falls looks so unnatural that its as clear as day that he's dived! I can't recall a much worst display between a ref and linesman to cost us a game.

The rule makes sense if Lovren has possession of the football, tries to play a backpass, and it's intercepted by Kane in an offside position. It shouldn't apply when the defender does not have control of the football, eg when a through ball deflects off him.

Exactly , the obvious example being earlier in the game where Dier mishit a backpass & Mo scored.

Lovren is only attempting to touch the ball at full stretch because he knows the ball is heading to Kane. This ridiculous interpretation of the rule suggests that, in a nanosecond , Dejan needs to compute that there is nobody else keeping Kane on & that he can trust the linesman to get the decision right and then ignore all of his instincts to just let the ball run through.

• Upvote 3

The officials are trying to make out the deliberate bit means any intention to play the ball. So if the player slices the ball but it still goes to an offside player that player is now on side. This is nonsense. I am all for giving attackers the benefit but you cannot load the gun so it is always in their favour. The defender may have a split second to decide to play the ball and weigh up is the ref and lino going to flag offside if he does not attempt to intercept the ball. That places an unfair burden on the defender and gives an unfair advantage to the attacker. It is a virtual heads I win tails you lose scenario for the attacker and a free run for the officials to do as they please on the day.

• Upvote 2

To be honest, I find it hard to get too upset about the first pen, because in the end it was the catalyst for our late resurgence and second goal. It's the linesman failing to spot Lamela was in an offside position for the second which really rankles.