You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 2 Tottenham 2 (Feb 4 2018)

tlw content

The officials are trying to make out the deliberate bit means any intention to play the ball. So if the player slices the ball but it still goes to an offside player that player is now on side. This is nonsense. I am all for giving attackers the benefit but you cannot load the gun so it is always in their favour. The defender may have a split second to decide to play the ball and weigh up is the ref and lino going to flag offside if he does not attempt to intercept the ball. That places an unfair burden on the defender and gives an unfair advantage to the attacker. It is a virtual heads I win tails you lose scenario for the attacker and a free run for the officials to do as they please on the day.

The first sentence says it all. "They're trying to make out". It's obvious isn't it. Officials and FA are doing what they can to justify an error made. They have to, becase an error as big as not knowing the offside rule, would disqualify Moss from ever refereeing again.

I bow for Clattenburg, who dares tell us the truth. Surely FA and former collegues would prefer him to keep his gob shut, probably telling him to as well. He's got balls!

To be honest, I find it hard to get too upset about the first pen, because in the end it was the catalyst for our late resurgence and second goal. It's the linesman failing to spot Lamela was in an offside position for the second which really rankles.

But Lamela wasn’t interfering with play was he? At the throw in, the ball was thrown to a position (another player) well ahead of Lamela’s position.

Pawson isn't as bad as those two. Madley is a buffoon but there's an honsty about his mistakes. I don't dislike Madley I just think he's out of his depth. Moss is out of his depth and is a bad twat to boot.

Andre Marriner's display in the game with City stands out like a beacon in a sea of shit.

And that's without mentioning Lee Mason, Roger East and Kevin Friend.

But Lamela wasn’t interfering with play was he? At the throw in, the ball was thrown to a position (another player) well ahead of Lamela’s position.

You can't be offside from a throw-in, so it's not from the initial throw that Lamela could be deemed offside, but rather from the subsequent flick-on.

Good report that,Jon Moss is so fuck’n weak,the liner he lets the liner take control the cunt gets so full of himself he can’t fuck’n wait to give that pen and have the final say,hence the fist pump,we have been shafted by these fuck’n abysmal officials all season from the first fuck’n game,I think I seen somewhere the other day not one referee from the premier league is going to the World Cup,if that’s true fuck’n he’ll that would say it all wouldn’t it

I don’t reckon there has been a rule change Dave. They’re just doing what they do. They make the decision and then fit the rules around it afterwards. They’re so desperate to appear that they haven’t made a mistake they’re going to end up causing rules changes to the detriment of the game. That’s one of the problems I have with VAR. They’ve gone so long defending ridiculous decisions that’s it’s created all sorts of issues that VAR will just make worse.

It’s now just accepted that somebody barely even stroking you is 100% penalty. When VAR comes in the diving is just going to get so much worse. People will be initiating the contact and going down even more than they do now. The fact that England’s star striker has been doing it for years and everyone wanking him off over it means it’s open season as they won’t criticise him.

I agree with this about the rule change too. I don't believe there has been a change at all either,its just another case of closing ranks when a referee and assistants fuck up big time. Its a modern trait where nobody is willing to take responsibility so they just make the lie bigger. I will repeat my often recited statement that with the worst ref I've ever seen in charge of refereeing in this country(Mike Riley) how the hell is officiating supposed to improve?

• Upvote 3

Fuck me gently but I'm having all sorts of problems with tlw on mobile.

I have seen the second penalty only in real time but it seemed to me like that Brazilian twat that went down clutching his face. The twat went down clutching himself 2 ft from where the contact was made. No point in VAR with these biased twats. Sorry if this repeats previous posters but I'm a bit out of touch and fucking livid.

• Upvote 1

I have seen the second penalty only in real time but it seemed to me like that Brazilian twat that went down clutching his face. The twat went down clutching himself 2 ft from where the contact was made. No point in VAR with these biased twats. Sorry if this repeats previous posters but I'm a bit out of touch and fucking livid.

I saw the incident replayed and the camera from the kop end touchline appeared to show no contact at all. I haven't watched it since but that was my impression after I saw it replayed. Its another example of officials reacting to the actions of the player rather than judging the incident based on what they saw themselves. They are never brave enough to say 'I didn't see anything so I can't give a decision.'

It's been said by others already, but the culture of feeling contact and going down is nonsense. It's one of the biggest issues in the game for me, yet nothing is likely to be done. The current approach means refs have to use less judgement in giving pens. Can't see anything that makes refs have to use their judgement, ultimately leaving themselves open to mistakes, coming in.

As long as virtually every pundit and commentator out there keeps repeating the mantra 'he's felt contact, he's entitled to go down' then this is just going to continue to get worse.

The FA usually react to whatever incidents are getting the most negative publicity.

I saw the incident replayed and the camera from the kop end touchline appeared to show no contact at all. I haven't watched it since but that was my impression after I saw it replayed. Its another example of officials reacting to the actions of the player rather than judging the incident based on what they saw themselves. They are never brave enough to say 'I didn't see anything so I can't give a decision.'

I still can't believe there hasn't been more of an uproar over Moss's behaviour prior to the first penalty. I've just watched the exchange between him and the linesman for the first time and it's utterly dishonest. The whole thing rests on this obtuse interpretation of what's clearly a not-fit-for-purpose offside law. Linesman states categorically that the offside decision rests entirely on whether Lovren touched the ball. Moss admits he hasn't seen him touch it. He asks Atkinson if tv sheds any light (which is an infringement of the rules, for which he's not facing any censure), doesn't appear to wait for a response, then gives the penalty - based on,presumably, pure guesswork. The fact that we know Lovren touched it is actually irrelevant, as Moss admits he didn't know - so could only guess that he did.

To add insult to injury, that same linesman is unable to spot that Lamela is clearly offside in the build up to the 2nd penalty - yet suddenly has eagle-eyed vision a split second later to spot minimal contact. 

"Moss was conned, so now it should therefore be a three game ban. Won’t happen though. It’s easy for the FA to make an example of an African playing for little old Everton, or a South American at West Ham. England’s golden boy though? Not a fucking chance they do anything to the big chinned slobbering cunt."

Reading this reminded me how the FA shat themselves at the thought of punishing Alan Shearer after he kicked Neil Lennon's face in

• Upvote 1

The 12 inch remix version of the Andy Kim classic that only gets played after the watershed ?

To add insult to injury, that same linesman is unable to spot that Lamela is clearly offside in the build up to the 2nd penalty - yet suddenly has eagle-eyed vision a split second later to spot minimal contact.

Lamela isn’t interfering with play though is he? (2nd penalty) From the throw-in, the play is in front of, and away from Lamela.

Isn’t that the correct interpretation?

Lamela isn’t interfering with play though is he? (2nd penalty) From the throw-in, the play is in front of, and away from Lamela.

Isn’t that the correct interpretation?

Llorente won the header, didn’t he? Rendering Lamela offside in that phase of play.

I still can't believe there hasn't been more of an uproar over Moss's behaviour prior to the first penalty.

I can.

When you've got so called staunch Reds like Carragher, essentially, publically backing the referee/ officials why would anyone else make a big deal? I've actually heard people say "well if Carragher thinks it was a penalty that says everything". There you go, case closed.