You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 2 Tottenham 2 (Feb 4 2018)

tlw content

spursreport2.jpg

This was the biggest screw job since Bret ‘the Hitman’ Hart dropped the WWE title to Shawn Michaels in Montreal. Fat Jon Moss and his little publicity seeking lino robbed us of two points. There’s no other way to put it; we got shafted.

It doesn’t matter that Spurs played well enough to have merited a draw, what matters is they only got it because 1) they’re diving bastards and 2) the officials were either incompetent, or something worse. 

May as well get the controversy out of the way first, so let’s begin with the first penalty, which came shortly after Spurs had got back to 1-1 and could therefore have proved pivotal in the game. 

Kane is offside, or at least that’s what everybody other than Moss and his little sidekick thought. Apparently there has been a rule change that means if the ball deflects off a defender, it doesn’t matter if the forward is miles offside. Firstly, if this indeed the case, how are we not all aware of this pretty fucking massive change in the law? And more to the point, how has there not been a huge outcry over it, because frankly it’s fucking scandalous. 

Whichever cunt came up with this change should be in the unemployment line, alongside Fat Jon Moss, the fucking clown. No doubt you’ve all seen the transcript of his conversation with the linesman regarding the first penalty. Moss had no idea whether Lovren did or didn’t get a touch, yet he opted to give the pen anyway. 

Now, either he was told by the fourth official in his headset that Lovren touched it, or he just thought ‘fuck it, I’m giving the pen anyway’. Either way, it’s unacceptable. You can’t have selective video replays. Either we’re using VAR or we aren’t. And unless they've quietly slipped this rule in along with the offside changes, we aren't using video assistance for refs, so why the fuck is he asking Martin Atkinson if he saw anything on the TV? 

There's so much to dissect from that one incident, but the linesman’s statement that if Lovren touched the ball then Kane can’t be offside really shocked me. He knows the rules better than I do, or at least I’d hope he does, so we have to assume that some soft cunt at FIFA has now decided that goal hanging is an acceptable part of the game and is no longer punishable by offside. 

It seems you can be as far offside as you like if the attempted through ball strikes a defender on the way through. Think about that for a second. Think what a fucking monumental change to the game as we know it that is. And yet how many of you knew this was the case? I certainly didn’t. Klopp didn’t either, so at least I'm in good company.

The incredulous look on his face afterwards when he was told about what the linesman said was absolutely priceless. It seems the rule has been changed without anybody being informed, because it’s not just the fans that don’t know. The managers don’t and neither do the players. How the fuck did we get here? 

We’ve now reached the stage where a striker can spend the entire game stood near the penalty spot if he wants, and the only time he’d be given offside is if the ball is played directly to him and he goes for it. He can stay there and wait until his team-mates run through and then they can cross it to him as long as he’s behind the ball. Or he can benefit in the way Kane did, by collecting a pass that struck a defender on the way through. It’s a fucking travesty and that rule needs changing back to the way it was. 

Then there’s the decision itself. It’s not even a penalty, it’s a dive and it should have been a booking. Karius does not touch Kane. He doesn’t even come close to touching him. What minimal contact there is comes because Kane leaves his leg in there and kicks the keeper on the back to make it look like a foul. One horrible Bruce Forsyth’s bastard faced twat he is. 

Moss was conned, so now it should therefore be a three game ban. Won’t happen though. It’s easy for the FA to make an example of an African playing for little old Everton, or a South American at West Ham. England’s golden boy though? Not a fucking chance they do anything to the big chinned slobbering cunt. 

Karius saved the penalty so there was no real harm done, but it’s still difficult to accept when you then see the same two officials conspire to give another penalty late on, only this time with a complete role reversal. Moss chose to ignore his linesman when it would have meant not giving a penalty. Then he chose to listen to him when it meant awarding one. 

Fishy as fuck that, especially as this is the prick who sent off Mané at City and has since done nothing about similar incidents, including one in this game when a Spurs defender tried to boot Mo in the head. 

Then there’s the linesman. He gave that penalty at the end even though the ref was closer and had a better view of it than he did. Who the fuck does that? It's his job to give it if he has a better view and the ref asks for his assistance. It's not his job to put the ref in a terribly awkward situation by refusing to move from his position and insisting it was a pen even when the ref - who was much closer and had a better view - had waved it away.

If he’s so eagle eyed, how come he didn’t spot that Lamela was offside when the ball went to him? Oh wait, Van Dijk got to the flick before he did so I guess that’s not offside either? I say ‘guess’, because that’s exactly what I’m doing. Lamela looks offside to me, but what is and isn’t offside is now so muddied that I have no clue anymore. The cunt then celebrated with a fist pump.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full report

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. If you are not currently registered on the site, sign up for free and receive a FREE no obligation trial subscription, which gives you access to all the members only content for ONE MONTH.

• Upvote 1

Great report Dave. Hopefully Real Madrid buy Kane in the summer and take Pochettino as well. Kane will flop there worse than Bale. No great pace, no real trick or skill to speak of. Decent in the air, but basically benefits from a Spurs team that presses and he sees a lot of chances come his way.

Churlish to say he’s not a good player, as he obviously is, but I don’t see an elite player, and hopefully Real Madrid sign him and prove my point.

We were robbed. Hopefully the injustice burns and we see a response from the team.

Lots of debate in the media about the penalty calls, but none of them mention the fact that Moss was an utter cunt for 90 minutes, giving them absolutely everything, penalising every minimal contact by us and letting them away with all kinds of shit - the high boot Dave mentions (should have been a yellow), a studs up flying tackle on TAA. You hear a round of ironic cheers from every home crowd, but I've never witnessed nearly the whole of the Main Stand jumping to its feet and roaring and clapping away when we finally got a decision - even the guys around me who never open their gobs from one match to the next.

We had the benefit of audio for the officials discussing the first penalty incident thanks to the pitchside mic. Now PGMOL have put out a statement vindicating Jon Moss and his handling of the incident. In their statement, they make it clear that:

- Moss had no idea that Kane was offside until his linesman told him

- His linesman asked Moss if he knew whether Lovren had touched the ball. Moss clearly states that he doesn't know, before he asks Martin Atkinson to check the TV, to which PGMOL state that Atkinson didn't answer

- Almost immediately, Moss tells his linesman he is giving the penalty anyway.

So, Moss decided to stick with his original decision to give a penalty despite not knowing if Lovren had touched the ball, and despite his linesman telling him that Kane was in an offside position. How the fuck does that work? I know Karius saved Kane's subsequent penalty, but it should never have been awarded!

I think we'd have a lot more points this season but for officials. Seen some people saying on the boards we benefit from our fair share of dodgy calls too. Maybe I'm just too biased but I'm struggling to recall many this season. Mignolet was lucky not to be sent off at Stoke and a soft penalty against Everton in the cup and I can't think of many others. 

We've had the dodgy Everton penalty, the clearly offside last minute Watford equaliser (although who knows what is offside these days, maybe one of our players was guilty of looking at the ball in a certain way and that made it onside) and now this absolutely farcical ending which topped the other 2 and any other game I can recall for officials completely influencing a result. Six points right there. The Everton game you could say we still had 15-20 minutes to sort it out but the other 2 games had bad calls go against us so late that there was no chance whatsoever of winning the game.

I no longer care if we win every remaining game this season with a dodgy call, or if Spurs drop points every week because of a dodgy call. I especially hope we get Spurs in the Champions League and beat them with a dodgy 94th minute penalty in the second leg. See what Pochettino has to say about diving then. The 2 games against Everton showed how hypocritical managers are when it comes to things like that. 

The officials should be demoted next week and yet there are people in the media actually praising them for their performance. No wonder officiating in this country seems to have reached an all time low in terms of competence. The club and Klopp should say they don't want Moss and that linesman anywhere near our games again. Dodgy as fuck the way they came to those decisions. The linesman doing a fist pump after the second penalty is given is pretty incredible.

Given how skillful some players are now, what is to stop an attacking player getting into an offside position and his teammate trying to play a one two off a defender and try to get the ball through to the attacker who by virtue of this new interpretation is now onside because the defender has touched it. How can a defender be expected to wait for the whistle if there's a fine margin between being on side or offside. What if the ref does not whistle. There was one incident in the game where Bobby gets taken out by Lloris because the lino did not stick his flag up until Bobbys almost got control of the ball. Even on tv they said it was a late flag and someone could get hurt. It might sound far fetched but as I say with skillful players some could look to do this intentionally.

Met a couple of the lads from here under the Main Stand at half time and the three of us were moaning about Jon Moss even then.

Let loads of fouls on our lads go and then penalised them when they tried to give a bit back.

You could see how incensed our lads were with him most of the game and we aren't a side that tends to get in the refs face.

Emre gave that linesman all kinds of shit after that pen and then had a go at the ref too. I think he was booked but it didn't deter him and I thought he was going to get sent off.

• Upvote 1

With regards to the offside thing, there's no point us talking about what is and what isn't because none of us have any idea any more. That's a problem, but the bigger problem is that nobody has told the players and managers, because Klopp genuinely has no idea what is going on.

He was absolutely incredulous in his press conference afterwards when he was told that Kane wasn't offside because Lovren touched the ball. How can they make such a significant rule change and not inform the people that actually play the game? It's incredible really.

• Upvote 1

With regards to the offside thing, there's no point us talking about what is and what isn't because none of us have any idea any more. That's a problem, but the bigger problem is that nobody has told the players and managers, because Klopp genuinely has no idea what is going on.

He was absolutely incredulous in his press conference afterwards when he was told that Kane wasn't offside because Lovren touched the ball. How can they make such a significant rule change and not inform the people that actually play the game? It's incredible really.

I agree with you. The whole episode smacks of fellow referees and the refs association whatever it is called covering their arses. The fact Riley has rushed that statement out is further proof of it. They all piss in the same pot. Seriously having looked at it again how can Moss so emphatically wave away that second pen then let his assistant overule him. Moss goes dive no pen lino goes it is a pen. Shouldnt Moss be going I emphatically saw a dive why do you think it was a pen.

I've quoted him, perhaps foolishly, several times today but Dermot Gallagher said or at least implied on SSN this morning that the clubs and players would have been briefed on this new "interpretation". I don't recall his exact quote but whether this happened or not should be easy enough to prove.

I don’t reckon there has been a rule change Dave. They’re just doing what they do. They make the decision and then fit the rules around it afterwards. They’re so desperate to appear that they haven’t made a mistake they’re going to end up causing rules changes to the detriment of the game. That’s one of the problems I have with VAR. They’ve gone so long defending ridiculous decisions that’s it’s created all sorts of issues that VAR will just make worse.

It’s now just accepted that somebody barely even stroking you is 100% penalty. When VAR comes in the diving is just going to get so much worse. People will be initiating the contact and going down even more than they do now. The fact that England’s star striker has been doing it for years and everyone wanking him off over it means it’s open season as they won’t criticise him.

• Upvote 1