You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tottenham at Anfield, February 4th 2018

Captain

I don't know what's worse, going to the fourth official when he shouldn't have, or giving the penalty despite admitting he had no idea if it came off Lovren. It absolutely stinks all round. I don't necessarily think there was cheating involved, maybe just a colossal fuck up which as usual they refuse to admit and this time going as far as to actively attempt to cover it up.

• Upvote 1

There wasn't enough time elapsed between the request & him saying ' I'm giving a penalty ' for Atkinson to be involved. Moss was put in an awkward place by the lino not getting involved early enough. As far as I understand the system , the lino should have flagged and let Moss decide the deflection  issue which, as he never saw the touch , would not have occurred and he would just have given the offside.

The best way forward is for Jurgen to draw a line under it with the players and move on. If we allow it to rumble on it will be a distraction. We are in he top four, still, and that was one of the harder games we will face. We kept Spurs at arm’s length, which obviously was a lot more difficult than it needed to be due to the ref and lino.

Move on. Beat Southampton and keep pressing ahead.

The longer this rumbles on the more we are giving attention to something outside our control. Draw a line under it and move on.*

That’s what I expect Klopp and the players to do. As fans we will continue to chew it over as clearly something is not right. But I’d hate for the team to drop more points due to a lingering sense of injustice.

That's an absolutely astonishing pile of bollocks in that statement

Yep utterly embarrassing.

"Our Jon was in a perfect position to see that a Liverpool player deliberately played the ball even if he wasn't close enough to know who the hell that player was. It also wasn't wrong to ask for an unofficial TV replay, just misguided, and don't be thinking we've ever done that before even though it was asked in a casual way that made the request seem eminently routine. In fact we're so confident everything was above board and competent that we've decided to issue this statement"

• Upvote 3

That's an absolutely astonishing pile of bollocks in that statement

I agree - it's a totally incorrect application of the word 'neither'.

But grammatical foibles aside, he's accurate when he says the likes of Henderson and Wijnaldum aren't good enough to be playing regularly.

The Premier League was last night under pressure to commission an independent investigation into Jon Moss’s handling of the dramatic climax to Liverpool’s Premier League draw with Tottenham after his bosses failed to explain his potentially-illegal request for “TV” assistance.

Referee Moss avoided any action over an exchange with assistant Ed Smart and fourth official Martin Atkinson which was caught on microphone during Sunday’s explosive 2-2 draw at Anfield and in which he said: “Martin, have you got anything from TV?”

Moss had been discussing with Smart the first of two penalties awarded to Spurs and whether Dejan Lovren had played Harry Kane onside by attempting to clear the ball.

Match officials are forbidden from using television footage to check decisions other than when trials of Video Assistant Referees are taking place, with Sunday’s incident reminiscent of Zinedine Zidane’s sending-off in the 2006 World Cup final, which Fifa has always denied derived from replays being used to alert the referee to his headbutt on Marco Materazzi.

There was an identical response on Monday from Professional Game Match Officials Ltd, which described Moss’s comments as “misguided” but failed to explain them

That led its former general manager, Keith Hackett, to call for an independent investigation to get to the truth, declaring the incident had “opened up a can of worms”.

Revealing he would have suspended Moss were the referee to have been shown to have sought television assistance during his own time in charge, Hackett told The Telegraph: “A more detailed investigation needs to take place, independent of the PGMOL, to determine why Jon Moss referenced specifically his fourth official and television.

“They can’t just dismiss it as a slip of the tongue. That’s glossing over.”

PGMOL denied Atkinson had viewed television footage or relayed any information about the incident to the on-field officials amid accusations on social media he had watched a pitchside monitor near Geoff Shreeves, who was covering the match for Sky Sports

Shreeves told The Telegraph on Monday it would have been “impossible” for Atkinson to have sight of the monitor.

PGMOL also said the match was not part of the ‘non-live’ VAR trials that have been conducted in the Premier League for the past two seasons, in which the video assistant is not meant to communicate with the referee.

The emergence of Moss’s comments is likely to further infuriate Liverpool manager Jürgen Klopp, who was livid with both penalty awards and claimed the referee admitted afterwards making “a mistake” for the first of them.

Moss was also the fourth official Klopp alleged earlier in the week had told him BT Sport had cut short added time in Liverpool’s FA Cup defeat by West Bromwich Albion.

The German’s claims were disputed by both BT Sport and PGMOL

Moss’s eventual decision to award Sunday’s first penalty divided the refereeing community, with Hackett and Mark Clattenburg declaring Kane should have been flagged offside in the build-up and Graham Poll stating the opposite.

PGMOL said on Monday that Moss had correctly interpreted the Laws of the Game, which state a player is not offside if “receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball”.

In response to suggestions Lovren’s touch on the ball was not deliberate because he mishit his clearance, PGMOL said: “The interpretation of ‘deliberately’ kicking a ball considers whether a player has intentionally tried to kick a ball - it does not consider whether the ball ends up where a player may have wanted to kick it.”

But Hackett produced a document containing guidance from football’s rulemaking body, the International Football Association Board, which states a player is offside if he “makes an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball”.

He said: “For me, the actions of Kane standing in an offside position interfered with the actions of Lovren.”

Hackett called on IFAB to urgently clarify the correct interpretation of the laws. “We’ve got a number of match officials, senior match officials, around the world who are in disagreement with the interpretation of the offside law,” he said.

“We ought to see clarification from the IFAB on this particular decision, to ensure there is an independent view.

“The IFAB need to ensure, for the good of the game, that this interpretation of law is correct, and whether their view is that it should be amended in the future.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/02/05/referee-jon-moss-misguided-ask-tv-help-awarding-penalty/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

I'm still struggling to understand how the linesman stating that 'If' Lovren touched it - it would be onside, if not it is offside - only for Moss to then say 'I have no idea'

Then

'I'm going to give the pen'!

How does that work? I don't know what happened so i will give it.

yeah its odd and not only that. Its a disgrace.

If he hasnt seen it he cant give the penalty. And even more so because Kane the fucking retarded looking fuck kicked into Karius on purpose.

But the more important question is the offside rule like Dave pointed out in the match report. What the fuck gives?

If a ball just bounces off a defending player it cant be offside?

I thought the rule was if the offside standing attacking player had an effect on the play it was offside...

I think we should write to the authorities and request an explanation as to why Jon Moss was allowed to confer with Martin Atkinson in the absence of VAR, and ask for cast-iron proof that no information was relayed from Atkinson to Moss. If that makes me sound small-time, I don't care. The more information that emerges about this the angrier it makes me.

If only the Mayor of Liverpool was a red. If he was we’d have the police involved by now.