You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tottenham at Anfield, February 4th 2018

Captain

We’re on a run! Undefeated in one game. Things are looking up. Considering they twat’d us at White Heart Lane, that’s not a bad result.

I actually thought we showed some defensive balls today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The 2nd one is a blatant penalty. It's not even a close call or 50/50. He kicks him and he kicks him pretty HARD actually. What people "think" they are seeing is Van Dijk go to kick the ball and then suddenly pull his foot away is actually the force of him kicking his leg.

If you wound your leg back and tried to kick a solid object, your leg/foot wouldn't just flow through in motion it would obviously stop dead. The camera angle makes it look like he pulls out but he kicks the fucker with quite a lot of momentum

I've done the same thing when playing football and i'm sure other people on here who play have done it before too. It happens.

Whats more worrying is that Van Dijk should have seen him and not bothered trying to kick the ball, the lack of awareness and poor/panic decision making is not what you expect from a top class player.

As soon as he fucked up the first header i was thinking "DON'T GO FOR THE FUCKING BALL" it was so obvious it was going to happen. 

I also don't understand people being worried by our midfield today. Henderson, Can and Milner have always been shit together and they always will be. Milner is too old and lacks composure on the ball. Henderson is young, fit, but shit on the ball and Can is too fucking slow. Of course they were going to struggle, they have done it before when the chips are down and they will keep doing it. 

But

Can will go and Kieta will arrive, that's an upgrade. We just need an upgrade on Milner/Henderson too. We better buy another CM who is good on the ball in the summer or we will just continue to see this shit. We need a passer.

The more worrying one is Oxlaide. We spent big money on him, so we won't just sell him. I just don't know if Klopp will be able to improve him enough for him to be valuable as a squad player. Because sometimes he is a complete fucking liability when we throw him on. It's off the ball that he worries me the most. He's just switches off and is brainless about where he should be and what he should be doing. Quality players will have a field day around the spaces he vacates. 

• Upvote 1

Not trolling. It's a pen. He makes contact. He misses the ball and kicks the man. You've just admitted it yourself.

Yes. He made the most of it. Like Gerrard did in Istanbul.

That's immaterial though. It's a penalty.

You dont seem to get it. There is no way Lamela goes down from that or that it stopped him getting to the ball or a different position in any way at all. Hence its not a penalty.

Can will go and Kieta will arrive, that's an upgrade. We just need an upgrade on Milner/Henderson too. We better buy another CM who is good on the ball in the summer or we will just continue to see this shit. We need a passer.

Max Meyer on a Bosman from Schalke. Made his name as more of an attacker but this season has been playing in the deeper midfield role and he has found a great passing range and a lot of composure. He is growing leaps and bounds in the role and is attracting the interest of some big teams.

I can’t be bothered looking up how old he is, but I think it’s still only early 20s.

Klopp was a known admirer a while ago, and with him finding another position this season, and in an area where we look short, it could be a great signing.

Would leave more money in the kitty to buy Lemar, Pulisic, Alisson, or whoever we might be in for.

Mate - I got some bad news for you - he did go down.

In fact - there is no way any professional footballer does not go down in that circumstance - ours included.

You are blinkered if you think otherwise

Yeah i mean i get that. But he should have got a yellow card for it and not a penalty. Outrageous decision by Moss and that cunt of a linesman.

Anyway im done raging about it.

Do you think assistants should be doing fist pumps?  Do you want to see more of that in the game?

How about knee slides for close offside calls?  

Not arsed. It happened in one of our games in the 80's. The ref allowed play-on from a bad tackle, and we scored. He fist pumped. He was accused of bias. He explained that it was because he made the right call and from which a goal ensued. I accepted it. It's a bit shit but not worth getting your knickers in a twist over.

Calmed down a bit now , some random thoughts.

Not showing in results yet but I think VvD has already upped our defensive game & thought him & Lovren looked a good partnership. Baby steps maybe, but I no longer need adult nappies when crosses come in to our box. Karius even looked generally ok.

Our midfield is the most worrying part of the team for me at the moment & another class player is needed as well as Keita.

Seems a really strange thing to say but I thought that Salah was generally poor yesterday

( along with Bobby & Mane ) and butchered at least 4/5 great openings for us , second goal wasn't bad though ! 

Emotions running high after the game but realistically the games against our peers will tend to even themselves out , and the CL qualification will more come down to the likes of the Southampton game next week which has banana skin written all over it.

On the two pennos , my view is the second one is a blatant foul with VvD getting caught out by Lamela coming from outside his vision.

The one that worries me more is  the first one , as if the guys quoting the rules earlier in the thread are correct it suggests that knowing that Kane is in on goal behind him and without being sure if anybody else is playing him on , Lovren has to make the conscious decision to ignore all of his years of training and not to lunge at a through ball and put 100% trust in the linesman, in case he gets an accidental touch. It used to be a sexist gag about women not being able to understand the offside or lbw laws but I'm buggered if I understand the offside one now and I have been watching football for nearly 50 years.

The stupidity of this not putting the flag up straight away lark was highlighted when Bobby & Lloris could both have ended up injured from an incident that should never have happened.

• Upvote 2

But....

They were both penalties.

The only issue on the pens is the offside on the first.

There's clear contact on the second one. And, the first, there doesn't need to be contact. If you rush in recklessly and don't get the man or ball but still impede the opponents run so he loses possession, then it's a foul.

See our pens in the past. Gerrard against Sheffield United and N'Gog against the Brummies.

Nope. Contact doesn't mean a penalty when the forward kicks the goalkeeper. And there was no contact for the second which I immediately called out at the time myself. Neither were penalties and were both acts of simulation which the shithouse FA will do nothing about.

• Upvote 1

I was astonished to hear Dermot Gallagher on Sky saying that Karius caught Kane with his shoulder. This is a guy who had the benefit of TV replays etc.....

And then they show it, and Souness and Carragher agree......Im staring at the Tv thinking I must be losing it because I just cant see it  

• Upvote 1

The second one is a pen according to the current interpretation of ‘if you feel contact, you’re entitled to go down’ as it looks like Van Dijk did clip Lamela before pulling out; not enough to make him fall over clutching his leg, but there seemed to be a touch. It was offside, anyway, which would’ve rendered the conversation moot. First one was offside and a dive.

Yet we still have people railing against VAR. I’m sorry, I don’t give a fuck if there’s a minute or two delay occasionally, as long as we actually reach the correct decision. It’s also better for the officials, as currently Moss and that cunt lino look, at best, completely fucking shite and incompetent.

• Upvote 1

Nope. Contact doesn't mean a penalty when the forward kicks the goalkeeper. And there was no contact for the second which I immediately called out at the time myself. Neither were penalties and were both acts of simulation which the shithouse FA will do nothing about.

If there's no contact for the second why does Lamela grab his leg in the exact spot van Dijk didn't (in your view) kick him? That's a pretty skillful/lucky bit of playacting

I didn't realise this was a Tottenham Hotspur forum. The amount of support for them (and daggers for Liverpool and Klopp) is remarkable.

Special mention should go to Match of the Day 2, which made only one mention of diving in the after-match analysis, with Jermaine Jenas congratulating Lamela on "very clever play".

Did Suarez get booked for diving 3 times at Liverpool, let alone in a single season?

Alli is the worst by a country fucking mile

Pochettino said learning to effectively cheat was a regular part of training in Argentina. It’s probably fair to say that Spurs are coached to dive in those situations. They’re all at it, dirty shithouses.

• Upvote 1

I was astonished to hear Dermot Gallagher on Sky saying that Karius caught Kane with his shoulder. This is a guy who had the benefit of TV replays etc.....

And then they show it, and Souness and Carragher agree......Im staring at the Tv thinking I must be losing it because I just cant see it  

That has to be the narrative. You can't have England's great hope banned for diving.

• Upvote 1

Kane won't get a retrospective. Nothing, absolutely nothing in any media about. A short mention on the Echo website where Virgil claims he dived. Even that is buried as a side notice.

The Echo should be in uproar for that first penalty, but nothing. Joke of a paper. We just take everything prison style no lube up the arse. It's fucking sickening. 

And Klopp should get an arse kicking for this squad. Signing Gini and Ox is a criminal offense. Having to play Milner, Can and Henderson should be a jail sentence right there. Our midfield is the worst of the contenders by far. We have Mo to save our arses and that's not even a Klopp buy, that's on the scouting department. He bought the worst keeper in the league, well done.

At Dortmund he inherited a couple of controlling midfielders, here he's bought the before mentioned, and not bothering shielding our defense. Criminal negligence. It'll probably be the same next year even with Keita as Henderson and Gini/Ox will be starters. 

Why do he keep thinking this is the Bundesliga, where real competition starts and finishes with Bayern. Everything else is just filler with the odd challenge when Bayern is having a couple of bad years. Here hits keep coming from all sides and we're just tanking it when the going gets tough. Rich bastards never been hungry or had to work hard to feed their families. Nivea generation. Fuck you. Before you had the indentification, the hardship, the working mans mentality. Now you have those greasy haired bastards prancing around like puffs. Fuck you. Football is done. 

Rant pretty much over and they owe me a new fucking phone, and half a remote control. Wankers.

Left back

Dm that can actually cover

Goalkeeper

Forward to rotate

Please, goddammit Please. I'm on my knees begging here.

Not arsed. It happened in one of our games in the 80's. The ref allowed play-on from a bad tackle, and we scored. He fist pumped. He was accused of bias. He explained that it was because he made the right call and from which a goal ensued. I accepted it. It's a bit shit but not worth getting your knickers in a twist over.

I'm not saying he's biased but I do think it needs looking at.

I think that assistant will be quietly spoken to by his superiors about what the fuck he was up to with that gesture. 

• Upvote 1

Graham Poll if I remember right. Cannot remember the game though.