You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

Interested if Neves has any pace or physicality ?

I've only seen some of his goals and thought, fuck me ! That goal he scored against Cardiff the other week was one of the very best I've seen in well over 40 years. Amazing goal.

The lad's definitely got all the skill, but if he's a snail then I can't see it happening for him at Anfield.

Next season is our best chance of winning the league in fucking yonks.

If the powers that be pull off some excellent transfers I think we'll be well in the mix this time next year. I'm expecting City to have a lull so we need to be on our A game from the second preseason training starts.

I think our best chance of winning anything is in front of us right now, Next season the squad could be better , lets see where we end up by August, but I doubt it will be sufficient to stop City winning again. If we win the CL it will be a boost to our ability to hang on to players and get decent talent in so next season is strongly linked to conclusion of this one.

Interested if Neves has any pace or physicality ?

I've only seen some of his goals and thought, fuck me ! That goal he scored against Cardiff the other week was one of the very best I've seen in well over 40 years. Amazing goal.

The lad's definitely got all the skill, but if he's a snail then I can't see it happening for him at Anfield.

Sorted

Slower than Fat Sam after a Sunday roast20b8e267dca8289f5c7d6860de432a46.jpg

Not sure he ever really lost his way? He did have a season where there was something going on behind the scenes between him and Porto's manager and he didn't play much, but when he did he was very good.

He's been excellent for Wolves, if you talk to their fans you'd think he's the next incarnation of Pirlo. Of course they have ridiculously high aspirations with their owner throwing money around and Mendes sucking it all up, they talk about getting into the Champions League in a few years like it's guaranteed.

But Neves himself is excellent. I'm kind of torn, because one part of me would love to add a player that young who's already so talented to our squad. Another part of me thinks that next year might be the best chance we'll have to win the league for the next decade and I'd rather have someone for the here-and-now rather than one for the future. Because as good as Neves is, and he's very good, there's no doubt that right now Jorginho is better. Maybe in three years Neves could be better, but he's still 21 and I don't think he'll be at his peak just yet.

Plus it would mean giving up on my dream (which looks increasingly unlikely by the week) of seeing Rabiot play for us.

Maybe I used the wrong phrase with the lost his way thing. All I know is that very early on he looked a world beater, and also a leader at a young age, and the price he would have demanded would have been very high. Some big teams were interested in him as his early rise looked meteoric.

Then for whatever reason, the next big step didn't materialize when it looked like it might. At this point I confess I don't know the details. I don't know if he was injured, or had a falling out, or if there were agent shenanigans going on that put a cloud over everything. What I do know is that a team like Wolves were able to sign him. Granted, it is a resurgent Wolves, with some cash and [murky] agent involvement and so on, but even so, it was a big step down for him after shining in the Champions League when he burst onto the scene. 

If there's a chance to sign him now I would happily take it. 

I get what you mean about Jorginho though, as he is a few years further on. Who knows, maybe we will sign both? But that is probably unlikely, especially with Keita also coming. But I wouldn't rule it out. 

As for Rabiot, I would love to see him here, but after his shout out on social media for Liverpool, I'm not so sure. It was sounding plausible as PSG are also in trouble with FFP. But they have a lot of players to offload to make ends meet, if need be, and Rabiot would seem a strange one to let go, from their perspective. 

It will be an interesting summer for us. We are doing well and we also have money to spend and recent recruitment has been excellent. Who knows, maybe we will see three midfielders come in, and two leave? The overall midfield quality will be boosted, as it is the weakest part of the team, and the quantity will also be boosted, as we need depth to fight for the league and everything else?   

VVD making a case for Ake? I actually really like Ake, highly underrated player. Thought he was excellent against us despite the scoreline. Probably another fuck-up that will eventually come back to bite Chelsea, should have kept instead him of buying Rudiger. 

Van Dijk told the Daily Echo: "Nathan is a great player and a great guy and I like him a lot. It is difficult to play against our attack but I know how good he can be. He is doing very well and has so much potential."

No fucking chance, not on my watch.

If he spent half as much time on trying to be a footballer instead of a Ruud Gullit lookalike he might actually become a decent footballer, but not now. Not even close. 

He looks very good, makes you wonder why more teams haven't been linked with signing him.

Something dodgy behind the scenes is my guess. Thing is, Mendes isn't even his agent if you can believe that. He's no one's agent at Wolves. Tells you all you need to know about how kosher that set up is.

• Upvote 3