You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

DiMarzio claiming that United have turned down an offer from Barca of Yerry Mina, Andre Gomes and £45m for Paul Pogba.

How hilarious would that have been? Andre Gomes is just terrible, I don't understand what Barca were thinking when they bought him. He's supposedly rated by Mourinho as well, hope they can add some cash onto that and make it happen. I might not stop laughing for a week.

Who was that other player we tried to sign about 5 years ago? He failed the medical and went to Chelsea, and ended up being alright.

I met an ex player a year or two back.

Never made it to the first team, but played in the reserves when Shanks was in charge.

Went on to play for Tranmere and still goes to games and sits with the likes of Heighway.

Said that Remy failed a drug test for cocaine.

We thus rejected him, Mourinho came in and said he doesn’t care and signed him up.

I think they got him for peanuts (7 odd million) considering the season he had at QPR.

Who was that other player we tried to sign about 5 years ago? He failed the medical and went to Chelsea, and ended up being alright.

Remy has been mentioned and there was also Sylvain Marveaux. Joined Newcastle after failing a medical with us, played 38 times in 5 years before being released.

The thing is they wouldn’t be bidding for him if they hadn’t already tapped him up. He must fancy going there. This could get very interesting. We’ve seen it so many times from our players. He could end up pulling a Coutinho and refusing to play which would be fucking hilarious.

Whether he actually goes or not it’s great news that they’re seeing United as weak enough to sell. They’re too rich cave now we all know that. That’s not the point though. If they keep Pogba which they will then he’s got the potential to down tools. He pretty much did last season. Personally I think this could be the thing that gets Mourinho sacked before the season it out.

They’re all laughing it off on Redcafe. They’ve got no idea the shitstorm that’s coming.

• Upvote 1

I met an ex player a year or two back.

Never made it to the first team, but played in the reserves when Shanks was in charge.

Went on to play for Tranmere and still goes to games and sits with the likes of Heighway.

Said that Remy failed a drug test for cocaine.

We thus rejected him, Mourinho came in and said he doesn’t care and signed him up.

I think they got him for peanuts (7 odd million) considering the season he had at QPR.

Sounds more like gossip.

I'm not sure of the legal ramifications if Remy had indeed failed a drug test, because I think we wouldn't have been able to go public about it since he wasn't actually our player. We didn't go public about why he failed the medical - that was his agent feeding that story to the journos. We would have notified QPR and left it to them to handle that side of the issue. Don't know if they are obliged to inform the FA and/or WADA under the circumstances. I think it genuinely was a heart issue that made the club balk because he was meant to be a more integral member of the first team picture than what he ended up being at Chelsea. They could afford to risk it because he would have been used more sparingly by them anyway. That's my take on it.

The thing is they wouldn’t be bidding for him if they hadn’t already tapped him up. He must fancy going there. This could get very interesting. We’ve seen it so many times from our players. He could end up pulling a Coutinho and refusing to play which would be fucking hilarious.

Whether he actually goes or not it’s great news that they’re seeing United as weak enough to sell. They’re too rich cave now we all know that. That’s not the point though. If they keep Pogba which they will then he’s got the potential to down tools. He pretty much did last season. Personally I think this could be the thing that gets Mourinho sacked before the season it out.

They’re all laughing it off on Redcafe. They’ve got no idea the shitstorm that’s coming.

As much as I hate the Mancs, there is à big part of me wants Real and Barca fucked off from getting their targets. It could be us with our front 3 next summer.

A renaissance in Italian football would be a good counter to those fuckers even if it increases the competition for us.

As much as I hate the Mancs, there is à big part of me wants Real and Barca fucked off from getting their targets. It could be us with our front 3 next summer.

A renaissance in Italian football would be a good counter to those fuckers even if it increases the competition for us.

There’s a never a “as much as I hate the mancs” in my vocabulary Ronnie. I’d happily see the cunts go under tomorrow. I know what you’re saying about Barca and Real but I’d much prefer it being the mancs having to fend them off rather than us.

The English game is getting too rich for them though. The offer is laughable really. The mancs don’t need the money and Mourinho is no Klopp. He doesn’t give a shit about disharmony. He’s probably loving it. It’s hard to understand what Barca are doing really. Maybe they think if they came in with 100m then that’s the starting point whereas if they come in with bullshit offers then United will feel happier to accept 100m. They’re deluded if they think that’s the case, especially this late in the window. Would be great to see Pogba refuse to play though.

• Upvote 1

I reckon Pogba will be the hill that Mourinho dies on at Man Utd.

He was widely feted at Juventus, became the most expensive player in the world when he went to the mancs. He's been largely poor for them, but has still been hyped like he's one of the absolute best players in the world. He wasn't very good at the World Cup, but scored a goal in the final (decent finish, but the keeper should have saved it) and is now at peak ego and hype. If he's wandering around doing fuck all, or Mourinho tries to get him to play more defence, there's only one way the media are going to go, and it won't be supporting Jose.

I reckon Pogba will be the hill that Mourinho dies on at Man Utd.

He was widely feted at Juventus, became the most expensive player in the world when he went to the mancs. He's been largely poor for them, but has still been hyped like he's one of the absolute best players in the world. He wasn't very good at the World Cup, but scored a goal in the final (decent finish, but the keeper should have saved it) and is now at peak ego and hype. If he's wandering around doing fuck all, or Mourinho tries to get him to play more defence, there's only one way the media are going to go, and it won't be supporting Jose.

Pogba hasn't looked up to much under Mourinho, but neither did De Bruyne or Salah. 

Pogba is a very good player, and potentially a great one. I'm sure his entourage is concerned with how Mourinho has turned him into a joke. The best thing we can hope for there is that Mourinho manages to sell him/run him out of the club before he's sacked in disgrace.

And I'm not too persuaded by the "but it reinforces the idea that Barca and Madrid can take whomever they want which may bite Liverpool in the arse later" argument either, because Klopp only wants players that really want to be here more than anywhere else. We now have all of our really important players signed up to really long contracts (assuming Mane signs his soon, and the signs are good) and I think the money is starting to come into play. 

In other words, the financial advantage the two Spanish clubs had to go along with the "influence/draw advantage" is no longer there. So if one of them comes in for Salah, even if he wants to go we just say "sure, £250m please" and they go away with their tail between their legs because even for them that's out of reach.

Or if they do fund it, by offering us Dembele + £100m or something then we go and buy 2 great players with that money and we're better as a team. We showed with Coutinho that we can and will do this. The Mancs, on the other hand, can and do waste huge amounts of money all the time, which they would no doubt do with whatever sum they get for Pogba.

Ongoing problem for them in recent times appears to be having two conflicting visions of how they should do transfer business...whoever the manager happens to be that year and The Equaliser’s.

That’s obviously only going to be more so the case with the angry little gnome. Woodward knows full well he’ll be stuck with whichever old stagers shitcoat’s lavished huge contracts on and run into the ground, once he’s fucked off in the near future. Ditto being reluctant to sell off players who could well do a De Bruyne/Salah elsewhere under someone capable of developing and nurturing younger talent.

We’ve been there, when the manager and the rest of those responsible for recruitment aren’t in synch, and it’s a draining cycle of wasted money and lost opportunity. Not being smug about it, as it’s five minutes since we’ve improved on that score and you never want to take for granted how long it’ll carry on for. Plus, once they get it right they have a bottomless fund to play with.

But when you’ve spent as long as we have getting it wrong you can see it at another club clear as day, and they just appear to be snatching around without any long-term planning or joined-up approach. Great to see for as long as it continues.

• Upvote 2

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45091008

Thibaut Courtois: Chelsea goalkeeper misses training amid Real Madrid speculation

Chelsea goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois, who has been linked with a move to Real Madrid, did not report for training with the Premier League club on Monday.

And it is understood the Blues do not know when the 26-year-old Belgium international will return.

Whilst it is good news, modern players are cunts.