You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

Salah certainly seemed like he was our first choice, did he not?

Alternative was Costa wasnt it?

Brandt was our first choice from January onwards, and he was only regularly mentioned alongside Keita and VVD as our main summer targets by Pearce, Reddy and co. It was only after he announced he wanted to stay at Leverkusen that the Salah links started to intensify. The Costa links were mainly from shitty papers (bit like the Vida, Cilessen rumours this summer). The only apparent alternative was Gelson Martins but even that seemed more of a negotiating tactic.

Players who desperately want to join get waited for. Players who go elsewhere or don’t get moved on from. Wait for the ones you know you can get. If there’s a suitable alternative, get him or wait for him. He’s certainly willing to wait. He’s pragmatic, though,

Why are we even talking about this?

because it's an internet chat forum!
  • Upvote 2

Salah scored more goals in the last three months than Brandt has in his whole career. I do not remember any credible links to Brandt.

Salah is also 4 years older and scored 2 goals and 1 assist in the season when he was 22. Statistics can be skewed anyway you want I guess.

No one, not even Mo thought he was going to produce a season like that.

Brandt offers pace, uses both feet, can play multiple positions, creates a lot of good opportunities and still has potential to grow into.

In a Klopp team he would be a revelation.

I think this season we are looking for good depth where the gulf in quality doesn't drop off a cliff if our first choices aren't available and the first choices are being pushed for games by them.

If our 1987/88 team is this teams blueprint then we are pretty close. If we reproduce anywhere near that season we will all be very happy.

Allison we went after and signed this window. There was no wait. It all comes down to the down to the time he ‘waited’ on vvd. Despite it being obvious we could never have afforded him without the Coutinho sale.

Now he’s apparently waiting for a player we could sign but don’t want too.

haha!

The impression I had at the time was that Brandt was Klopp's first choice whilst our scouts were recommending Salah. We were going to or did approach Leverkusen regarding Brandt and then he came out saying he wanted to stay there. Klopp was then convinced that Salah was a good alternative and so sanctioned the purchase.

Brandt would be a good alternative to Fekir as I think he could play in the most free role we have in our midfield or on either wing, presumably there's no injury concerns there either. i do think he has an eye on Bayern though, and we haven't been linked to him this summer that I've seen. Fekir on the other hand seems to really want to come to us as his personal preference and if those reports are true looks to be trying to force the issue. I'm not 100% convinced our spending is over this summer but I'd imagine it depends on outgoing players at this point. If we offload enough deadwood and get loans for those we want to keep around like Grujic then I think we'll see one more player coming in and either of those two would be great.

Personally I'd like to see us throw in a bid for Werner as after the WC I'd imagine his price is as low as it's gonna be, but everything seems to have gone quiet in regards to him being a target of ours.

We are still really light in attacking midfield.

Fabinho has replaced Can

Keita has replaced oxlaide chamberlain

Can't believe we are done for the summer inbound wise if we manage to shift all the dross

Can never have too much creativity, still a concern for me.

Once the season is up and running and we have all players to choose from, creativity from Firmino, Salah, Mane, Keita, Shaqiri plus add the potential from Lallana and Sturridge (lucky to include these for any more than five minutes a game) and I think the job's a good 'un.

Of course, the dream team would include a Coutinho type. If we had someone like him, I think it would be perfection but it's pretty good without him.

Liverpool have reached an agreement to sign Besiktas defender Domagoj Vida, according to reports.

Turkish publication A Spor claims that Vida ‘has signed’ two-year deal at Anfield in principle while the Reds have an option of a third year.

Vida played a starring role for Croatia as the unfancied European side reached the final of the World Cup in Russia this summer.

His displays alerted Liverpool as well as other Premier League sides – including Everton and West Ham – to his availability.

However, it now looks like the Reds have won the race for his signature but they must now agree a fee with the Turkish side, whose valuation of Vida is €25million (£22.2million).