You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

I'd be worried if we haven't got anything else lined up if Becker falls through. Because it'll be worse for all concerned if Karius is still the keeper next season now he and everyone knows we tried to replace him by nearly doubling the world record. 

I reckon we'll put all our eggs in the Becker basket and it will fall through only for it to be too late to get Fekir then we'll have a struggle to 8th place where Klopp gets the sack and we replace him with Eddie Howe who will sign loads of young English talent who become the next Paul Koncheskys.

I reckon we'll put all our eggs in the Becker basket and it will fall through only for it to be too late to get Fekir then we'll have a struggle to 8th place where Klopp gets the sack and we replace him with Eddie Howe who will sign loads of young English talent who become the next Paul Koncheskys.

I’d bite your hands off for that right now.

• Upvote 2

I'd be worried if we haven't got anything else lined up if Becker falls through. Because it'll be worse for all concerned if Karius is still the keeper next season now he and everyone knows we tried to replace him by nearly doubling the world record. 

I would imagine Ward's going to get the chance if Alisson falls through

Brewster told Liverpoolfc.com:: “It feels great. I’ve wanted to do this for a very long time now and I think it’s the right moment for me and my family. I’m looking forward to getting back fit and making some appearances.

“I just wanted the opportunity to make it at Liverpool. Of course you have to look elsewhere sometimes and maybe somewhere else is a better place for you.

“I think Liverpool is the place for me. I can’t wait to get started and get back fit.

“That’s my aim (to play for the first team) to either be alongside Bobby (Firmino) or in front of him. Of course it’s going to be hard because he’s a great player and a great person.

“But I hope in the next two or three years I can be the number nine for Liverpool. Who knows what’s going to happen?

“I set myself high standards because ultimately I want to the best and being the best means setting myself high standards – and that’s what I’m going to do.

“Ultimately, this is a great team that I want to be a part of. Not just being a number but a face of the team is hopefully what I can do.

“Getting back fit and fighting fit is what I want to do in the upcoming season, and prove to everyone I am good enough.”

Brewster helped England win the Under-17 World Cup last year but his season was cut short after suffering ankle ligament damage playing for Liverpool’s Under-23s against Manchester City in January.

He added: “I’ve been out for about six months now and it’s quite far down the line. I’m hoping to be back by around Christmas. Hopefully by then I should be back fit and fighting for my place in the team.”

It'll be slightly disappointing if we don't sign Fekir or an alternative replacement for Coutinho. As we still won't have that player who can pick an pass and help us unlock tight defences.

Agree with that. I would be surprised though. It would take us to being around the most expensive transfer window in history. There’s only so much we can reasonably expect.

Agree with that. I would be surprised though. It would take us to being around the most expensive transfer window in history. There’s only so much we can reasonably expect.

If we do sign Alisson that still won't be all the Coutinho money spent, will it?

Glad that we've finally busted open the piggy bank, we've spent most if the FSG tenure making a profit during transfer windows, with vague promises that the money is there if we need it.

The war chest wasn't a myth, Klopps kept his powder dry, slowly made small steps in showing top players that we're a team worth coming to, and then a huge step by reaching the CL final, now we can dine at the top table and players would be fighting each other for the chance to come here.

If we do sign Alisson that still won't be all the Coutinho money spent, will it?

I’m not sure how far 140m, of which we got 100 up from, stretches these days, but since Coutinho left, we got in Van Dijk, Keita, Fabinho, Shaqiri, and including Alisson, that’s a fair chunk of change. Even if you don’t include Keita, it’s still about 200m. With him it’s about 250m. We’ve spent some serious cash if we get Alisson. If we spend on Fekir too, the last year have been a fucking outrageous amount. Not more than we deserve because if sales, income, general frugality, etc, but when you look at the players Klopp has brought in, and I think Edwards deserves a lot of credit here, the standard has done way up and the fees have gone up too.

Assuming something crazy like Salah going doesn’t happen, I think it’s fair to say we are acting like a big club in the transfer market. We don’t panic, we target the players we want, we get them ahead of other big clubs, we are building in a quality, controlled way. Long may it continue.

• Upvote 1

Glad that we've finally busted open the piggy bank, we've spent most if the FSG tenure making a profit during transfer windows, with vague promises that the money is there if we need it.

The war chest wasn't a myth, Klopps kept his powder dry, slowly made small steps in showing top players that we're a team worth coming to, and then a huge step by reaching the CL final, now we can dine at the top table and players would be fighting each other for the chance to come here.

Spot on.

I have to admit that even as a Klopp apologist who defended FSG's plan more than once on here in the past few years, I had major doubts when Coutinho left and wasn't immediately replaced. I thought it might be a sign that all the noise about "keeping our powder dry" and saving up for when the players we wanted actually wanted to come was just BS and the owners were indeed milking the club.

This summer is a huge sigh of relief on that front, I think we can all agree. Klopp has managed to squeeze absolutely everything from a very limited squad and gotten us to the position where we can attract almost anyone in world football. And then Edwards is going out and making sure that works in our favour and that we choose the right players from the massive lists of players who want to come.

I have to admit I'm pretty excited for where this might take us. Nervous, but finally nervous in the right way - I'm nervous about whether we can beat Pep's City to the title rather than being nervous about whether we can pip Arsenal to fourth.

• Upvote 4

Fekir/alternative or not there can be no complaints about the owners this year for the first time in a long time.  They've finally backed the manager and Klopp goes into his first full season without his hands tied behind his back.

A proper creative midfielder would put the cherry on the cake and set us up nicely to just need to add one or two top drawer players every summer.

I can put up with Lovren for what will surely be his last season now cause he's the only poor footballer in our starting line up.

• Upvote 1

On the bright side, if we don't sign a creative midfielder it means we go in to next summer with one key area to improve and a good budget to do so. If we carry on as we are and an Asensio does become available we could go out and spend £100m plus. Fekir, as it stands, represents a risk.

Obviously this doesn't stand for anything if we go and sell one of our forwards in the mean time.