You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

That pre supposes he would not have kicked on from all the goals he had scored before he joined. And I think that is up for debate.

I watched him quite closely when it became clear we was signing him from Burnley and nothing I ever saw then suggested he was going to be anything but back up and eventually back up to the back up, it’s a lot different scoring goals for Burnley than it is for a team like ours where teams defend deep. For us you have to either be lightening quick with clever movement, he has decent enough movement but wasn’t that quick or very skilful which he most certainly isn’t, our front three are so good because they have all them traits.

im going to disagree as i dont really think he has had much chance to show what he could do with the bad luck with injuries he knows where the goal is and think as a rotational player with firmino i think he could bag 15/20 goals a season

It’s not particularly what he’s done here because like you say he didn’t have much of a chance but it’s more of what he’s done at previous clubs and his particular skillset, he offers little more than running around a lot and a decent finish now and again. I feel for him with his injuries because he genuinely seems like a good guy but in reality he should never have been signed because I just don’t think he’s good enough, he might go to a lower level club and score 15/20 goals there but that’ll be for a team that plays a completely different style of play and against a completely style of opposition.

Good to run a broom through the changing rooms sometimes.

Some players must have been pissed off with seeing Ings' fail-face around Melwood, bringing the vibe down. Fuck that cat.

I'd be surprised for us to have offered him a new contract, especially when we've seemingly begged Brewster to stay.

Can someone quote this because I don't think Redders can see my stuff usually.

I watched him quite closely when it became clear we was signing him from Burnley and nothing I ever saw then suggested he was going to be anything but back up and eventually back up to the back up, it’s a lot different scoring goals for Burnley than it is for a team like ours where teams defend deep. For us you have to either be lightening quick with clever movement, he has decent enough movement but wasn’t that quick or very skilful which he most certainly isn’t, our front three are so good because they have all them traits.

It’s not particularly what he’s done here because like you say he didn’t have much of a chance but it’s more of what he’s done at previous clubs and his particular skillset, he offers little more than running around a lot and a decent finish now and again. I feel for him with his injuries because he genuinely seems like a good guy but in reality he should never have been signed because I just don’t think he’s good enough, he might go to a lower level club and score 15/20 goals there but that’ll be for a team that plays a completely different style of play and against a completely style of opposition.

Be that as it may but I do not think you can say with any certainty that Ings would not have scored a lot of goals for us even as back up if he had not got two dreadful knee injuries which could have befallen any player.

But I just do not buy into the view that Klopp is going to spend shitloads on a 4th or back up striker. Sure he may do it but I do not think he will. I think he will supplement the front 3 with the very type of player like Ings hence Klopps desire for him to stay.

• Upvote 1

Pleased with the calibre of nicknames in our summer targets & signings. Baby Keith, Titular Archer & Mong Strength is a cut above Ingsy and compliments the likes of Milneymar. Makes big sexy leaving all the more palatable.

• Upvote 1

Be that as it may but I do not think you can say with any certainty that Ings would not have scored a lot of goals for us even as back up if he had not got two dreadful knee injuries which could have befallen any player.

But I just do not buy into the view that Klopp is going to spend shitloads on a 4th or back up striker. Sure he may do it but I do not think he will. I think he will supplement the front 3 with the very type of player like Ings hence Klopps desire for him to stay.

I can say for certainty because I’ve seen him play with my own eyes, he’s terrible technically and doesn’t even score that many goals 1 in 3.5 games at Burnley I think I read earlier and the majority of them were in the Championship, he’s shit.

Good guy, shit at kicking a ball.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Good to run a broom through the changing rooms sometimes.

Some players must have been pissed off with seeing Ings' fail-face around Melwood, bringing the vibe down. Fuck that cat.

I'd be surprised for us to have offered him a new contract, especially when we've seemingly begged Brewster to stay.

Can someone quote this because I don't think Redders can see my stuff usually.

‘Ings’ fail-face bringing the vibe down’ made me laugh. Harsh though.

I can say for certainty because I’ve seen him play with my own eyes, he’s terrible technically and doesn’t even score that many goals 1 in 3.5 games at Burnley I think I read earlier and the majority of them were in the Championship, he’s shit.

You seem to have have all the ingredients to be an ace scout. Have you thought of a career change?

Oh and you think I have not seen him with mine.

I think the fact that Ings wants off for first team football just shows the real difficulty that Klopp will have in building a deeper squad while also keeping everybody with sufficient game time.

Particularly with our front 3. Who are pretty much guaranteed starters most of the time. The likes of Dembele, Brandt, Pulisic etc are names that have been thrown around, but will they be happy to play back up? If not, will the type of player who will come in and be happy with that squad status be good enough to solve a big problem for us - the big drop in class from starting XI to the bench options?

For these reasons, I wouldn't be surprised if the attacking rotation options next season were Brewster, maybe Origi back and a signing like Shaqiri's profile - who doesn't want to be where he currently is and will put up with squad football for a bit.

If we're not careful, the Ings situation could also happen with the likes of Clyne and Moreno. It's a big ask to keep players happy and content while they're subject to lots of bench time.

Oh and you think I have not seen him with mine.

Obviously everyone’s entitled to their opinion on him, I just can’t for the life of me see why anyone thinks things would turn out different for him had he not got injured.

Obviously everyone’s entitled to their opinion on him, I just can’t for the life of me see why anyone thinks things would turn out different for him had he not got injured.

Because most people recognise most players can improve with the right manager and teammates. That is why.

• Upvote 2

Buying Ings was a decent gamble as he was cheap and could have improved to be a decent option in the days before we had the best front three around. The injuries fucked him as he lost a bit of pace and he didn't have much to lose. Good luck to him and I hope we make a profit on him.

I think the fact that Ings wants off for first team football just shows the real difficulty that Klopp will have in building a deeper squad while also keeping everybody with sufficient game time.

Particularly with our front 3. Who are pretty much guaranteed starters most of the time. The likes of Dembele, Brandt, Pulisic etc are names that have been thrown around, but will they be happy to play back up? If not, will the type of player who will come in and be happy with that squad status be good enough to solve a big problem for us - the big drop in class from starting XI to the bench options?

For these reasons, I wouldn't be surprised if the attacking rotation options next season were Brewster, maybe Origi back and a signing like Shaqiri's profile - who doesn't want to be where he currently is and will put up with squad football for a bit.

If we're not careful, the Ings situation could also happen with the likes of Clyne and Moreno. It's a big ask to keep players happy and content while they're subject to lots of bench time.

The reason them 3 were guaranteed starters was because of the massive drop off. We need somebody of a similar ability and they'll get plenty of games.

Instead of having 3 players playing 40 games we'll have 4 players playing 30 games I can't see any potential signings thinking that's not enough.

I reckon Ings might have done well under Klopp if it wasn't for all the injuries, he's a hard worker and might have reached a level or 2 above the player we signed, unfortunately his prime years for improving and reaching his potential have passed by so not much can be done now.

• Upvote 1

i think the problem we will have when ings leaves if we have no real cover 2 young lads in brewster and solanke and the less said about origi the better..........won't mention sturridge as he don't count he is just there to  keep the physio's in a job

i think the problem we will have when ings leaves if we have no real cover 2 young lads in brewster and solanke and the less said about origi the better..........won't mention sturridge as he don't count he is just there to  keep the physio's in a job

I think we ought to get new physios.

Just don't let Arsenal get Banega, he'll be absolutely deadly with the pacy attackers they have.

If he is available for 29 million it's a robbery in high daylight, and we should be all over that. He'd get a ton of assist for us, probably a couple of reds as well though. I'd personally giddy as a schoolgirl if we signed him.