You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

Yep. Though it does also reiterate that we won't be going back for Fekir.

I realise that many journalists categorically stated that we wouldn't be buying Alisson, but that was always to do with price. Now that people like Joyce and Pearce are mentioning Fekir's medical issues more openly, I think it would be genuinely weird for us to go back in for him as there will be too much focus on his knee if we now contradict the stories that we were too worried about it to proceed in the first place.

I can't say that I understand us ditching the Fekir deal and then not going for someone that can offer similar. We have always known the Ox is out for the whole season, so in effect we only have one midfielder this season (albeit a bloody brilliant one in Naby) that can quickly break through the lines. If Naby gets injured then our midfield is back to looking somewhat pedestrian.

The perfect thing about Fekir is that he can both cover the front three, and offer us something different in the midfield three. I realise Jurgen waited for Van Dijk, waited for Keita and waited for Alisson, but that was all to do with the negotiations - if the only reason we pulled out of a deal for Fekir was that his knee is fucked, we're not waiting, we've just pulled out. In which case I really feel we need to bring someone similar in.

I think it comes down to Klopp. I have absolutely no doubt that Edwards, Hunter et al have intel on comparable players. However I get the impression that Klopp takes a long time to consider signings - especially the huge ones. For a start, he’s said before he prefers to commit to a squad for a whole campaign and wouldn’t choose to do January business.

Now obviously VVD and Coutinho buck that trend, but neither deal was intended for January. The significance of that “one year commitment” is that he gives himself time to consider what he needs and then takes time to ensure he recruits the best possible player to meet that need; hence, waiting for Virgil and Naby.

I also think that, while he can be reasonably quickly persuaded of a player’s footballing merits, his focus on character requires deeper inspection. It’s very noticeable how together the squad is and he’s frequently spoken about how he won’t jeopardise that.

None of that is to say he won’t make pragmatic or even risky signings (you could argue Robbo, Ox, Gini, Klavan and Shaqiri all fall into that category). However, when he spends really big, he wants to be certain. So, world record fees for a keeper and defender after taking time to be convinced? No problem. Spanner in the works over your multi-functional top class forward target? Make do with what you have (which is already pretty fucking exceptional) and take the time to look closely at the other options as well as how the new squad gels.

After all, it may be that Shaq and Naby both do a Mo and really explode. In which case, why sign someone else with Ox coming back in 12 months and stellar hopes of Wilson and Brewster?

Now I know that’s not how fans think - especially in the context of City lashing £60m on a squad player, but I’m pretty certain it’s how Klopp thinks. And I for one am completely cool with that. This squad looks sensational to me and I think it can go all the way.

Yes, X, Y & Z crises may occur to fuck things up, but Klopp will find a solution from what he has. It just strikes me that suddenly, after years of bitching about money and purse-strings, loads of Reds (not saying you, mate; just generalising) have completely disregarded the huge transformation in our spending and now expect us to be City. I mean, we’ve basically ripped up our old spending patterns/records in one fell swoop and it’s like most fans barely bat an eyelid!

Fuck that. I’m delighted that we take this careful approach. I find it hard enough to swallow the immorality of “investing” £100m+ (fee and wages) in a single footballer in the context of how fucked this country is without watching us throw those sums around recklessly on a second choice player who we might not need.

No, if Klopp wants to be a little bit circumspect about changing his £50m+ transfer target, I find that hugely reassuring.

• Upvote 6

I’m delighted that we take this careful approach. I find it hard enough to swallow the immorality of “investing” £100m+ (fee and wages) in a single footballer in the context of how fucked this country is without watching us throw those sums around recklessly on a second choice player who we might not need.

Spurs fans think we've fucked the summer market up by overpaying for all of our buys. Besides Alisson, I've no idea what the mad fuckers are talking about.

I think it comes down to Klopp. I have absolutely no doubt that Edwards, Hunter et al have intel on comparable players. However I get the impression that Klopp takes a long time to consider signings - especially the huge ones. For a start, he’s said before he prefers to commit to a squad for a whole campaign and wouldn’t choose to do January business.

Now obviously VVD and Coutinho buck that trend, but neither deal was intended for January. The significance of that “one year commitment” is that he gives himself time to consider what he needs and then takes time to ensure he recruits the best possible player to meet that need; hence, waiting for Virgil and Naby.

I also think that, while he can be reasonably quickly persuaded of a player’s footballing merits, his focus on character requires deeper inspection. It’s very noticeable how together the squad is and he’s frequently spoken about how he won’t jeopardise that.

None of that is to say he won’t make pragmatic or even risky signings (you could argue Robbo, Ox, Gini, Klavan and Shaqiri all fall into that category). However, when he spends really big, he wants to be certain. So, world record fees for a keeper and defender after taking time to be convinced? No problem. Spanner in the works over your multi-functional top class forward target? Make do with what you have (which is already pretty fucking exceptional) and take the time to look closely at the other options as well as how the new squad gels.

After all, it may be that Shaq and Naby both do a Mo and really explode. In which case, why sign someone else with Ox coming back in 12 months and stellar hopes of Wilson and Brewster?

Now I know that’s not how fans think - especially in the context of City lashing £60m on a squad player, but I’m pretty certain it’s how Klopp thinks. And I for one am completely cool with that. This squad looks sensational to me and I think it can go all the way.

Yes, X, Y & Z crises may occur to fuck things up, but Klopp will find a solution from what he has. It just strikes me that suddenly, after years of bitching about money and purse-strings, loads of Reds (not saying you, mate; just generalising) have completely disregarded the huge transformation in our spending and now expect us to be City. I mean, we’ve basically ripped up our old spending patterns/records in one fell swoop and it’s like most fans barely bat an eyelid!

Fuck that. I’m delighted that we take this careful approach. I find it hard enough to swallow the immorality of “investing” £100m+ (fee and wages) in a single footballer in the context of how fucked this country is without watching us throw those sums around recklessly on a second choice player who we might not need.

No, if Klopp wants to be a little bit circumspect about changing his £50m+ transfer target, I find that hugely reassuring.

I think you're probably spot on Paul, but I do think that there is an element of risk at play here, regardless of the reasoning behind it. There is no doubt that last season we were lucky with injuries to the front three. If any one of them had picked up an injury for any length of time, the drop off in quality was such that we would frankly have been boned. Our system simply doesn't function properly when one of those three is replaced by someone that plays with less intensity, let alone ability. And last season we had Oxlade Chamberlain, who although usually woeful when played further up the pitch, was clearly signed in the knowledge he could in theory cover there.

I can't quite believe the progress we've made in the last 12 months, and if Alisson, Fabinho and Keita work out as expected, we have the best first XI we have had since we last won the title, and one that only Manchester City can even make an argument for being better than. And I have such faith in the recruitment at the club at the moment that I am confident all three will be that good. I am also confident that Shaqiri will provide good cover. But I can't shake the feeling that if we don't sign Fekir (or at least an equivalent) that the lack of depth may be a risk which proves to be the difference between getting close to or winning one of the biggest trophies.

• Upvote 1

Spurs fans think we've fucked the summer market up by overpaying for all of our buys. Besides Alisson, I've no idea what the mad fuckers are talking about.

Overpaid for a position that has cost us nearly 20 points a season for 10 years?
  • Upvote 1

Klopp's contract runs out in 2022 and there is almost no pressure/chance he'd leave before then. He has the time to wait for the people and profiles of players he really wants which is a rare situation for managers nowadays.

We need to get him to sign a new one, 2022 is too soon.

My worry with Klopp is while most managers have a 5 year plan this slacker needs 7 years.

He needed to undo some of the mistakes of the previous administration, so it took 2 years for him to reach the usual starting point other managers have.

We need to be more aggressive if we expect to lead the chase.

Absolute madness. I cannot get my head round that at all. What we are doing is - by a million miles - the most coherent, effective and value-based (relative to the market) transfer policy in 30 years. Why the hell would throwing sixty million quid at a 19 year old whose goals and assists are nowhere near good enough yet be a good thing to do? That kind of recklessness is what took Leeds to the brink of disaster. It’s still only eight years since we were almost in the same position.

Christ, if Jurgen Klopp - who knows the kid and our finances - doesn’t think it’d be a good idea at this point why would you? We are not Manchester City (thank fuck) and nor should we act like it.

• Upvote 2

Absolute madness. I cannot get my head round that at all. What we are doing is - by a million miles - the most coherent, effective and value-based (relative to the market) transfer policy in 30 years. Why the hell would throwing sixty million quid at a 19 year old whose goals and assists are nowhere near good enough yet be a good thing to do? That kind of recklessness is what took Leeds to the brink of disaster. It’s still only eight years since we were almost in the same position.

Christ, if Jurgen Klopp - who knows the kid and our finances - doesn’t think it’d be a good idea at this point why would you? We are not Manchester City (thank fuck) and nor should we act like it.

5939007851907b0eb5a69d74627822af.gifacd378d720d5ea6211698bfa3f14ed1d.jpg

• Upvote 1

5939007851907b0eb5a69d74627822af.gifacd378d720d5ea6211698bfa3f14ed1d.jpg
You’re mistaking utter incredulity for something else mate. Your point - throw £60m at an unproven, super-hyped kid - was so inane it left me stunned.
  • Upvote 2