You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

The report I read said he actually wanted to live in London and not the North of England so there is that.

Also anyone who thinks it's easier to sign quality players without top tier football is wrong. I highly doubt we'd sign Keita and Fabinho if we hadn't had the reassurance of a great manager to convince players we were a full time top 4 outfit again.

The report I read said he actually wanted to live in London and not the North of England so there is that.

Also anyone who thinks it's easier to sign quality players without top tier football is wrong. I highly doubt we'd sign Keita and Fabinho if we hadn't had the reassurance of a great manager to convince players we were a full time top 4 outfit again.

I don’t think anyone is saying it’d be easier without the CL, however clubs do it all the time. They just have to make their offer more attractive, and one way to do that is to offer the players more cash.

but, but, but you can't sign quality players without CL football.

Do you think it's as easy? Jurgen Klopp went into detail about the subject. Is he wrong? Does being owned by a billionaire help to cover the financial loss of not being in Europe? Has anybody actually ever said you CAN'T sign quality players without CL?

I don’t think anyone is saying it’d be easier without the CL, however clubs do it all the time. They just have to make their offer more attractive, and one way to do that is to offer the players more cash.

It's well documented we pay good wages. There's tons of factors that go in to where a player wants to play. We can compete financially but until Kloppo we'd struggle to convince anyone we are serious about our ambitions. To most foreign players living in London is much more attractive than living in North England. So Chelsea would not only have the mega money factor, recent history of success but also the London factor. You can't put it all down to wages, there's multiple factors and the players personal preference. It's up to us to sell the factors we can offer. Klopp is a hell of a salesman too.

Do you think it's as easy? Jurgen Klopp went into detail about the subject. Is he wrong? Does being owned by a billionaire help to cover the financial loss of not being in Europe? Has anybody actually ever said you CAN'T sign quality players without CL?

when we miss out on CL there are always stories being leaked by the club about not being able to buy who we want to buy because all the top players want CL football. I think even Klopp has said that during his time with us.

Just to be clear, it's not impossible to sign top quality players when you aren't in the CL, just a lot more difficult. If being out of the CL is considered an aberration by players in light of the club's recent history, then they'll believe that it won't be long before the club is back in it, so they'll still look upon the move favourably. If your club's recent history is generally one of NOT qualifying for the CL, that's how they might view you even if you are currently qualified for the CL.

Bar the odd aberration, Chelsea have been CL regulars whereas we haven't. Them paying more than us is of course a factor, as is being based in London, but being seen as CL regulars is what sways it for a lot of players.

• Upvote 1

when we miss out on CL there are always stories being leaked by the club about not being able to buy who we want to buy because all the top players want CL football. I think even Klopp has said that during his time with us.

Yeah, that’s probably because it’s true then.

And it's true. It's obviously harder to attract players when you're out of the CL. The minority of transfer deals that go against this - mostly to clubs that have been in many CL in previous seasons - don't prove it wrong.

Well, it would have been me convenient to the point you were trying to make, but that wasn’t my objective. So it wouldn’t have sufficed.

The top and bottom of it is that certain clubs like Chelsea, Man Utd and even Arsenal as things stand don't really need European Cup football to still be able to attract the best.

It is still seen as an anamoly by players that they aren't in it...and of course the wage thing, winning pots and for the London clubs the pull of London are factors.

All we can do is get to the point where we are seen as regulars and hopefully we'll have same 'rep' - especially if we can keep getting finals.

If I was earning 200k a week I wouldn’t want to live in London. Is the general appeal of places like that not high wages? In cases like football that don’t matter.

If you are desperate to go at night or the wife wants shopping you can fly in 1/2 hour and someone else drives.

If I was earning 200k a week I wouldn’t want to live in London. Is the general appeal of places like that not high wages? In cases like football that don’t matter.

If you are desperate to go at night you can fly in an 1/2 hour and someone else drives.

It's the tarts isn't it more than the players IMO.

• Upvote 1