You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

He'll need to not make ONE single error all season for the majority of our fans to not feel nervous anytime the ball goes near him,and for away fans to forget to give him stick. It's a horrible situation to be in but we need a significant upgrade and not a sideways replacement for 40 million which is what even a half decent keeper will go for.

So we can't find a better keeper than Karius, Jesus wept.

Well we had that debate with cannot find 5 better centre backs. I do not think it is a question of not finding a better keeper than Karius. Klopp just does not bomb players out. It seems almost as if 90% of Liverpool fans want one of Oblak or Allison and outside those two every other keeper is not good enough for us. Last season loads were going give Ward a go but they all seem to have gone quiet now.

I just hope this does not come back and bite Jurgen on the bum.

This issue with the keeper isn't just about the CL final its years of failing to address the problem.

We have ambitions to be a top European team yet we keep crossing our fingers and hoping the likes of Mignolet and Karius will rise to the challenge and they all turn out shite, Empty the fucking piggy bank you daft cunts

Klopp will do what he did with VVD, which is keep his powder dry until he can get a player significantly good enough to warrant the level of financial expenditure required to complete the signing.

I’ll be gutted to see Karius in goal next year. He was doing well until the CL final but that just fucked him. I’d hate for him to be our goalkeeper. It doesn’t make him a shit goalkeeeper, he proved that he isn’t, but for me personally the CL was just too far.

Except VVD was already, virtually, done and dusted we just had to wait 5 months so Southampton could save face, therefore it made sense to wait as we knew the player was in the bag. There appears to be no such deal in place for a keeper so it does not make sense to wait, at this stage there's either a keeper out there who we fancy and we're willing to pay for, or there's not.

David Maddock

@MaddockMirror

Jurgen Klopp ready to back Loris Karius - will refuse to panic in search for new keeper, still has belief in him despite CL nightmare. No progress with Oblak or Alisson, now prepared to go into season with Karius, and front up criticism.

I hope we replace him but I fully get the stance here. Saying officially "he's fucking shite, we're desperate to get rid of him, just name your price" isn't the best bargaining position to take.

• Upvote 2

I get Klopp not wanting to kick him out the club this summer, but it’s not fair to the player to start the season with him as No1.

Sell Mig, buy quality keeper and let Karius stay at the club but out of the media spotlight for 6 months while this quietens down.

• Upvote 2

I'd be astonished if Juventus bought Ronaldo. Doesn't Ronaldo do this all the time to show he is wanted and then makes the suits show him some love and normally a fat contract. He's probably crying like a bitch that Messi and Neymar get paid more than him.

True.

And one day he's going to do this posturing for a payrise, but Madrid won't see him as worth it anymore, then poor Ronaldo has to sit there sulking with a titty lip.

Klopp will do what he did with VVD, which is keep his powder dry until he can get a player significantly good enough to warrant the level of financial expenditure required to complete the signing.

I’ll be gutted to see Karius in goal next year. He was doing well until the CL final but that just fucked him. I’d hate for him to be our goalkeeper. It doesn’t make him a shit goalkeeeper, he proved that he isn’t, but for me personally the CL was just too far.

When did he prove he isn't a shit goal keeper?

The players will not wanting to be running themselves into the ground again either if they think one little pathetic shot on target will undo all their gargantuan efforts.

It will be wrong on every single level to stick with Karius

Well we had that debate with cannot find 5 better centre backs. I do not think it is a question of not finding a better keeper than Karius. Klopp just does not bomb players out. It seems almost as if 90% of Liverpool fans want one of Oblak or Allison and outside those two every other keeper is not good enough for us. Last season loads were going give Ward a go but they all seem to have gone quiet now.

I just hope this does not come back and bite Jurgen on the bum.

It already did.  Everybody could see he wasn't up to it.  Was it against West Ham when he let that free kick in?  Klopp, who I absolutely love, decided against the popular opinion, to stick with him.  Fast forward to Kiev.  Jurgen has a blind spot.  I think he's already alluded to his abiding sense of loyalty and how sometimes it clouds his judgement.

Quite obviously when he came in for Mig, right up until the final. There’s no point in trying to alter history just because he was a massive wanker in the final.

He was ok. Had some moments of luck in our Champions League run, but looked much improved and superior to Mignolet. But at no point did I personally (for what that's worth) feel that he was good enough to be our first choice keeper in the long-term. That's even ignoring the final.

• Upvote 4

Quite obviously when he came in for Mig, right up until the final. There’s no point in trying to alter history just because he was a massive wanker in the final.

The problem is , him and the other clown lowered the bar so often in the past that even a mediocre performance was hailed as decent - he has always been awful for us and should never have been our number one 

‘He has always been awful for us’.

You’re putting me in the position where I’ve got to defend the cunt, simply because what you’re saying is bending reality. He had done well when he came in. You only had to read the Karius thread back to see that. But whatever, I want him gone, I wanted a new keeper when he was playing well, too. It’s just the idea that he was never decent is utterly ridiculous and not true.

• Upvote 3

but what about all the mistakes leading up the final? And the previous year?

Sorry Klopp but you're wrong here. Karius will never recover from single handedly costing us a chance at a European cup and neither will the fans.

I would normally agree with you but ... well, I thought the decision to sell and not replace Coutinho in January was ridiculous and would torpedo our season. And now I've decided I'm just along for the Edwards/Klopp ride, wherever they take us.

May sound crazy but I'm still optimistic. Even if we do go into the season with Karius as our starter.

Personally I thought Klopp was looking at the trajectory & his potential. He was improving. He's had half a season as first choice? He was doing OK, getting better. I think if that European final performance doesn't happen he had a real chance of nailing down first choice and progressing into a good keeper. 

I'm not sure he has it mentally to recover from the European final... but then I don't know the kid. He's got no shortage of confidence with that man bun and those tattoos... has he the fortitude to recover from such a performance on such a stage?

Klopp may well believe in not throwing his man under the bus, in not judging a player on one game... he may well buy the concussion story as the reason for it. It may well be that the World Cup is the delay in sorting all this out rather than Klopps decision making... Maybe they'll go with Mig as first choice for the first half of the season with a view to selling in the January transfer window? 

We are probably in as strong a position right now to finally have a proper go at kicking on and it would be negligent IMO to not fix our obvious problem areas like the keeper situation.

If we don't then i think we have to seriously question the desire of the club to really genuinely want to kick on.

The pattern of signing shite when we have been set fair in the past simply can't be replaced by standing still and doing nothing.