You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

New GK link is disappointing?

Don’t tell me it’s that Shamrock Rovers chap.

Taintless Red

@TaintlessRed

· 23h

Replying to @PeterPhillips_

So long as he's a big improvement & not a sideways step

Graeme Kelly

@GraemeKelly1

Nope if it’s who Peter says, when Pete speaks he’s normally right. Disappointing

Nope  They where talking about Cillissen.  Both James Pearce and Paul Joyce said in recent days that we aren't interested in him though.

Out of interest, how did you arrive at the relatively precise figure of £380m?

£88m Ronaldo

£80m Bale (could be more)

£150m Asensio

£50m Kovacic

= £368m.

Close to £380!! They are reported fees I’ve seen banded about, Asensio could be £100m and Bale could be £100m so even then it’s still well over £300m in sales. I honestly reckon it’ll be both of them and especially with Neymar, this was the only way Real could buy him from Barca without causing a riot. It’s been on the cards since the day he went to PSG.

Real Madrid have denied they have agreed a deal to sign Paris St-Germain forward Kylian Mbappe.

The Spanish club had struck a deal with the French champions according to reports which circulated on Wednesday.

"Real Madrid has not made any offers to PSG or the player and regrets the dissemination of this type of information," a club statement read.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44710786

Madrid seemed very quick and very forthright in their response to the rumour, almost as if the very last thing in the world they wanted to do was piss PSG off, so they can get some business done with them for a certain Neymar.

Although, it wouldn't surprise me in the least, if Madrid tried to buy them both, once Neymar was in the bag.

Would explain the rumours around them being willing to sell Ronaldo, Bale, James Rodriguez and Asensio. In theory they could make £350m out of that pile alone, and the wage saving would be astronomical.

Just can't get my head around Juventus being willing to spend £88m on Ronaldo, at age 33. Maybe they've factored-in that they might get loads of that back through a re-sale of him to China, or to the MLS, providing he doesn't get a bad injury.

Can only assume that would be the end of Higuaín at Juventus, the big fatty is 30 now, maybe they can squeak £40m out of someone in the PL for him.

Surely Real aren't going to actually buy both Mbappe and Neymar. It will be one or the other. Almost certainly Neymar.

Not least because PSG would solve all of their FFP issues in one swoop if they sell Neymar for £200m+. They will still fancy themselves to give the CL a good go, even with Neymar leaving and I'm certain they won't also want to give up on the best young French player.

Whatever, if it means there's any chance of Asensio coming to us then the Fekir deal falling through could be a huge blessing in disguise. No chance we could have afforded both of them, but maybe if we can talk Real down to £100m or so and Edwards/Klopp can look at it as adding £50m onto the money we were going to pay for Fekir or something. Still strikes me as a pretty long shot that we could come up with that much, but who knows?

• Upvote 1

Surely Real aren't going to actually buy both Mbappe and Neymar. It will be one or the other. Almost certainly Neymar.

It seems unlikely, but maybe?

Sometimes Madrid go on a generational spending spree, so as to nail down a couple of positions for 6 or 7 years.

The only thing that's really changed is the figures being bandied around now, and the status of PSG as one of the clubs to buy from.

By their standards, since 2014 they've been quite moderate with their spending, and maybe they are doing another generational hovering-up of the best in the World yet again, and that would definitely include both Mbappe and Neymar.

2014 they bought James Rodriguez and Tony Kroos, pinnacle world stars.

2013 they bought Bale, Isco, and Illaramendi, all were considered the best young talents in the world, certainly the latter two were the top talents in Spanish football.

2009 they bought Kaka, Ronaldo, Xabi, and Benzema all in one go, all massive fees, all recognised as best in the world. All worked out apart from Kaka, business model was good.

2007 they bought Robben, Pepe and Sneijder, all for top dollar at the time, all recognised as 3 of the best in their position in the world at that time.

2006 they did Van Nistelrooy and Cannavaro.

Madrid fans won't let Madrid simply replace Ronaldo with Neymar, that's not lofty enough as an ambition.

Ronaldo for £88m seems like a decent deal to me. Granted he's 33, but he's a freak of nature. I won't be surprised if he's still playing at the top level into his 40s.

Didn't Real Madrid pay less than that for him in the first place? Unbelievable business if they pull it off considering what they have won, how much they would have made in merchandise and then to make a profit on his sale.

FSG will be licking their lips.

Didn't Real Madrid pay less than that for him in the first place? Unbelievable business if they pull it off considering what they have won, how much they would have made in merchandise and then to make a profit on his sale.

FSG will be licking their lips.

He joined them for £80m, back when £80m was a lot of money.

He’s a freak, but I fully understand Real cashing in now.

Klopp don't let me down I don't wanna see Karius or Mignolet as first choice keeper. Don't let the money men tell you their is no value in the market for keepers.

What's the point in buying the world's most expensive defender and having losers behind him.

One of Klopps strengths in the eyes of players is loyalty but we need to see some ruthlessness. The difference between winning and losing can be fine margins.

Liverpool are hoping to complete the signing of Dutch youth international Ki-Jana Hoever from Ajax, Goal understands, writes @neiljonesgoal

Xherdan Shaqiri: “I want to stay in the Premier League, and you will find out my new club soon.”

LFC@KopMatt

Replying to @AvinMohanza and 5 others

He’s ‘been told’ tho, so must be true, right?

Graeme Kelly

@GraemeKelly1

No, it’s @_Chris_Hurst_ info. He has news on an announcement tomorrow. #Shaqiri

LFC

Callum Wright

@CallumWright__

10:30 news Incoming. Bad news JP.

Although #LFC remain interested in a potential deal for Shaqiri, it is not a priority and nothing as yet is agreed. Especially not a medical.

David Maddock

@MaddockMirror

Jurgen Klopp ready to back Loris Karius - will refuse to panic in search for new keeper, still has belief in him despite CL nightmare. No progress with Oblak or Alisson, now prepared to go into season with Karius, and front up criticism.

Klopp will do what he did with VVD, which is keep his powder dry until he can get a player significantly good enough to warrant the level of financial expenditure required to complete the signing.

I’ll be gutted to see Karius in goal next year. He was doing well until the CL final but that just fucked him. I’d hate for him to be our goalkeeper. It doesn’t make him a shit goalkeeeper, he proved that he isn’t, but for me personally the CL was just too far.

• Upvote 2

It is the pressure that is gonna be the problem for Karius....every fucking game the pundits and commentators are going to talk about him and what happened just waiting for the next mistake and the spotlight is gonna be shining ultra bright on Karius and us and they will jump all over the first mistake he makes - and when he does make that mistake it will be open season on him from all quarters....especially if it is early in season.

Opposition fans will be all over him and there is probably an element of opposition players will get in his head too over it.

For me as unfair as it may seem Klopp has a responsibility to shield Karius and the club from it all.

That said if he fronts it all and he is largely excellent and kicks on as a keeper for us then what an achievement for him and what a masterstroke it will be from Klopp - but and it is a big big but in my view i just don't think this story has a happy ending for Karius at LFC.

• Upvote 1