You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

No more Italians.

Sorry mate, I'm not sure if your post is meant to be ironic, but if not, I can't understand this whole notion of writing off players if a certain nationality. It makes no sense to me at all.

Yes we bought some Italian players that, in all fairness, most knew were going to be shit (I myself hoped against hope that it wasn't the case). But if we had to go ahead and apply the notion that we should most definitely not purchase any Italians you'd be potentially losing out on some good players if the chance came about to sign them.

Besides, our MVP this past season is an Egyptian (hardly a global football powerhouse nation), signed from what was then the 3rd or 4th best club in Italy.

• Upvote 1

If we sign Fekir and Alisson/a new gk and still bring in an attacking reinforcement I'll excuse the lack of CB signing. With a bonafide dm and a much better keeper along with VVD having a full pre-season I foresee that side of our game greatly improving anyway. We could very quickly find ourselves in a position where the next few seasons we need only go big on one player and add yoof each summer.

• Upvote 1

We had the best defence the league post spurs. That's a 29 game sample size which is not to be sniffed at. My main point is that we've clearly gone a long way to addressing our defensive issues so maybe a centre half, given we've signed a defensive midfielder,isn't a top priority. City don't have the best defence on paper but they're so strong in attack, teams just don't bother attacking them. Maybe klopp sees that as the way home, and given we've better defenders than city to begin with, giving more attacking options in midfield and up top is in his mind going forward.

A new keeper is a must however, I don't think Karius has the strength to come back from that or the club to trust him.

If we sign Fekir and Alisson/a new gk and still bring in an attacking reinforcement I'll excuse the lack of CB signing. With a bonafide dm and a much better keeper along with VVD having a full pre-season I foresee that side of our game greatly improving anyway. We could very quickly find ourselves in a position where the next few seasons we need only go big on one player and add yoof each summer.

So you will be ok with a world record fee on a defender - a club record spend in a window and Keita in 5 months?

ARE YOU SURE THAT IS OK???!!!

I dunno. Just responding to the idea of Butland joining us... and I could only see him joining as a backup, as he's not very good.

Oh yeah, knew that mate.

Agree with the shout that if Ward is fine with being back up then that would be ok. Could see why he'd want to move though.

Oh yeah, knew that mate.

Agree with the shout that if Ward is fine with being back up then that would be ok. Could see why he'd want to move though.

The worry with Ward is that he hasn't been able to make a dent in terms of getting even close to two clearly sub standard keepers when it comes to being selected in our squads.

So you will be ok with a world record fee on a defender - a club record spend in a window and Keita in 5 months?

ARE YOU SURE THAT IS OK???!!!

It is what should be happening isn't it?  It isn't a privilege to buy top players when you are one of the biggest and richest clubs in the world.

Well every year we get even richer so it stands to reason we spend even more. Even with the best squad in the league you will quickly get left behind if you spend poorly or not at all. It will be nice to be in a position where after this summer we are looking at adding sparingly because it's hard to find better players than we have and we can just look at tweaks and buying some of the best up and coming players because that's where Klopp can really set us up long term.

The worry with Ward is that he hasn't been able to make a dent in terms of getting even close to two clearly sub standard keepers when it comes to being selected in our squads.

I don't think Klopp thinks Karius is sub-standard and I think anyone who thinks he should be sold or even loaned out is more than likely going to be disappointed. I think the priority is clearly Fekir/a similar player and a player to provide competition for the front three, particularly one who can spell the 2 wide positions (Dembele, Pulisic, a similar player). If there's money there for Alisson or Oblak after taking care of that then I can see us trying to make a deal, but if there isn't then Karius will be our goalkeeper until at least next January.

It's why I don't take the Butland links seriously at all, he's not better than what we have and I've got no idea why he'd come here as a backup. Regarding Ward, I feel like every game he doesn't play in he becomes a better player on paper. Admittedly I've seen very little of him, but clearly there is a reason he wasn't ever given a real look in last season.