You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

I think Matip is a little to timid for my liking. He's made just as many mistakes as Lovren too. That being said I'd like to see him partner VVD and see how they go.

Really not sure what happens with Gomez. He's probably are 3rd best RB if Clyne gets fully fit. And at best 4th choice CB. He's at a age he needs to play too

I think Matip is a little to timid for my liking. He's made just as many mistakes as Lovren too. That being said I'd like to see him partner VVD and see how they go.

Really not sure what happens with Gomez. He's probably are 3rd best RB if Clyne gets fully fit. And at best 4th choice CB. He's at a age he needs to play too

Part-ex for Lascelles.

• Upvote 2

Gomez’s development is affected as a result of Matip’s unreliable fitness. You can’t be confident he won’t miss plenty of the season again, so Gomez needs to be here.

If Matip was more robust, or replaced with someone who is, Gomez should be loaned out to a Premier League or promotion-chasing Championship side next season, to play first team football at centre-half.

I don’t think for a second we’ll buy anyone in that position, and see Matip and Gomez both being here, likely kicking their heels a fair bit. Hopefullly Matip’s don’t fall off when he does.

Gomez reminds me of a suped-up Andre Wisdom, he's of that awkward size just a bit big for a full back and a bit small for a centre back. Maybe his best position would be as a right centre back in a back 3.

Very happy to keep him as good cover, ideal defender to have on the bench imo.

I think Matip may struggle for game time next season. It looked like Jurgen had him as van Dijks preferred partner but his injuries and form of Lovren must have seen him drop down the order. Thought Matip was a great signing when we got him but overall last season I thought many of his performances were weak. So while he did not seem to make mistakes the way Lovren did he cost goals because of his weakness. Neither can I see Gomez playing centre back for us except in an emergency. Klavan is a reliable back up but again he is only going to get the odd game so whether he decides to stick around for the ride or go back to Germany remains to be seen.

Lovren seems the most suited to partnering VVD, so that puts Matip as third choice. The problem with getting rid of him is that he's probably the most suited to covering as the ball-playing CB role that VVD currently has. None of the others can pass forwards. Gomez can be pretty decent at it when employed in the RB position, so perhaps Klopp can see him growing into that role centrally, but it seems a big ask.

I still can’t get my head round this central defender talk. We’ve already got five and Klopp loves them all. Plus our defensive figures improved exponentially after Virgil arrived. Least conceded and most clean sheets or something similar. Now we have more cover at right back with Fabinho and once we’ve added a keeper, we’re done in my view.

I reckon the only way we’re signing a centre half is if it’s a youngster for buttons. It’d be a massive waste of money otherwise.

100%

And for me, it's not even about whether it's the right decision, but it will definitely be Klopp's thinking.

Perhaps, if say Klavan asked for a transfer for more first team football, that may swing things, but I can't see it otherwise.

Let me throw a name out there - Federico Chiesa. All round forward player, young and Italy doesn't seem the most expensive place nowadays (granted the football has been in decline).

A bidding war is erupting for Fiorentina talent Federico Chiesa, involving Napoli, Inter, Juventus, Liverpool, Manchester City and Manchester United.

http://app.football-italia.net/?referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.football-italia.net%2F122340%2Fchiesa-bidding-war-breaks-out#article/footballitalia-122340

Gomez needs loaned out for regular football at centre back or just sold.  Never in a million years going to play right back at a top club.  Odds are against him making it at centre half but he at least has a chance if we give him one.  Keep him around getting 4-5 games a season and he's wasting his career.