You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

Calling a team a selling club means absolutely fuck all. It’s a phrase that’s beyond irritating because every team other than about 4/5 in the world sells their players. Southampton were a selling club but it didn’t stop them not selling Van Dijk in the summer didn’t it. There’s been a load of clubs over the years who haven’t sold to us. Personally I have a feeling If he does go he’s going to end up going to somebody else.

We fucked up the Van Dijk transfer really badly on so many fronts. Telling the press it was done etc. The Klopp meeting and then VVD's behaviour afterwards really fucked them off.

Never really had an issue with players we bought from them before mainly.

We fucked up the Van Dijk transfer really badly on so many fronts. Telling the press it was done etc. The Klopp meeting and then VVD's behaviour afterwards really fucked them off.

Never really had an issue with players we bought from them before mainly.

People keep saying this as well but in reality he was on a 5 year deal and they didn’t want to sell him regardless. As values go up and up they could keep him for 2 years and then sell him for probably more than what they would have got for him then. It was similar to Everton refusing to sell Stones to Chelsea.

Every single club in the world speaks to players (whether it’s via agents or directly) before they speak to the club. I doubt they were genuinely arsed about that happening. City and Chelsea will have both done exactly the same thing. They will have done it themselves when they got him from Celtic. Somebody fucked up and sent a text to someone at their end which gave them the opportunity to frighten LFC off which is what happened as the club didn’t want a ban.

The only reason we got him in January is because he had basically downed tools for half a season and we had somehow convinced him to tell Southampton this was the only place he was leaving to. We ended up paying well over the odds to get him at a price I think maybe only City would have paid.

I personally think the chances of us convincing Fekir to tell Lyon this is the only place he’s coming and then us actually outbidding and outpaying every other team his wages if he’s as good as everyone thinks he is as fairly slim. Specifically more because he’s an attacking player.

Mahrez and Jorginho to City are done deals.

Race for second place again next year, then.

I don't think Jorginho is going to be the massive success in this country as people suggest. He wants time to play his game, he isn't going to get it in the PL.

World Cup year as well,

People are quick to forget that City had some luck to get into the comfort-zone where they could play their scintillating football. They didn't break the deadlock against Brighton until the 70th minute in their first game, then there was an 82nd minute equaliser v Everton in their second game, a 97th minute winner against Bournemouth in their 3rd game, a Mane sending off in their 4th game, and then they found they had 10 points from 12 and had games against Watford and Palace coming up and they filled their boots, and then came up against a Chelsea team with major issues, and they crept past them 1-0. Add to that, a couple of lovely CL fixtures against Feyenoord and a home game against Shakhtar, both wins. All just before the international break.

What they went on to do then was brilliant, but a good, bad or indifferent start to a season can make all the difference to a team.

How will Jorginho line-up for City? Will they rotate him and Fernandinho, or will they drop one of the more attacking midfielders such as De Bruyne, Bernardo Silva, Gundogan or David Silva?

Jorginho isn't the sort of physical presence that Fernandinho is, so it's debatable as to how well that straight-rotation might work.

You then look at Mahrez, and you wonder how he intends to force his way past De Bruyne, Bernardo Silva, David Silva, Sterling, Sane for one of those 2 or 3 positions in the team for any one game. I imagine Jesus and Aguero will remain separate and rotate between the one striker position.

I've seen nothing from City to make me believe they're a better team for those two signings. In fact, I'm wondering what sort of signings would actually make them stronger...

(discouting selling them our own players...)

Messi or Neymar or Lewandowski for Aguero?

Griezmann for Jesus?

Mbappe for Bernardo Silva?

Hazard or Isco for Sterling?

Skriniar or Alderweiereld for Stones?

Milinkovic-Savic for ?

Eriksen or Kroos for Silva?

De Gea for Ederson?

I'm pinning my hopes on the fact that all bar Jorginho have won the Prem at least once and you know the way it is , you are not as desperate once you have achieved something.

Hope it is all ' Champions League focused' for City next season.

We have to capitalise on any hangover!

• Upvote 1

Said before I think Jurgens biggest obstacle to winning the title here is going to be City and their ability to hoover up class players stick them on nearly 200 grand a week and give them the odd game here and there and stopping them going to other teams where they would be nailed on first team players.

I've seen a City fan suggesting that when Aguero leaves, Sterling will be moved into the CF position and Mahrez will take the right hand side slot.

Sterling is one of the worst finishers I've ever seen for a forward playing for a top club.

Sterling is one of the worst finishers I've ever seen for a forward playing for a top club.

When he doesn't have time to think, and he's more that 6 yards out, his finishing is fine as shown by his goal tally. It's the ridiculous sitters from close range and the powderpuff efforts from one-on-ones that make him so erratic. He gets himself into good goalscoring positions extremely well.

• Upvote 2

Adam Bogdan has been earning £15,000-a-week for 3 years.

Which adds up to £2,340,000...He played 2 games.

2 games too many

On a side note rumours, though probably 2+2=22222 is that we are interested in Jerome Boateng and Bayern looking to let him,Vidal and Thiago leave. Around 35-40ml

• Upvote 1

And yet he’s only 23 and scored over 20 goals last season.

There's a number of variables that can explain his goal tally, not least a lot of late goals against sides already 2 or 3 down and exhausted from a pasting and the fact that he's playing with a number of high class attackers. I don't recall that many key goals from him. He's a decent player generally, but his finishing is terrible.

I'd be very surprised indeed if City play him upfront rather than buy a new top level striker. Why would they? (rhetorical question)

There's a number of variables that can explain his goal tally, not least a lot of late goals against sides already 2 or 3 down and exhausted from a pasting and the fact that he's playing with a number of high class attackers. I don't recall that many key goals from him. He's a decent player generally, but his finishing is terrible.

I'd be very surprised indeed if City play him upfront rather than buy a new top level striker. Why would they? (rhetorical question)

The underlined sentence - is that actually true? I'm not disputing it, I just wouldn't know how to check. I recall him scoring a very late winner against someone, possibly Southampton, around Christmas-ish.

I would imagine, if Aguero left, the logic might be that Jesus is the undisputed number one striker and, seeing as they only play with one striker generally, Sterling is the cover, who can then be covered by a top-class wide player. But it would certainy leave them looking short up front.

The underlined sentence - is that actually true? I'm not disputing it, I just wouldn't know how to check. I recall him scoring a very late winner against someone, possibly Southampton, around Christmas-ish.

I would imagine, if Aguero left, the logic might be that Jesus is the undisputed number one striker and, seeing as they only play with one striker generally, Sterling is the cover, who can then be covered by a top-class wide player. But it would certainy leave them looking short up front.

Well, looking at the first couple of months of City's campaign, it does not seem to be the case, scored a last kick of the game winner at Bournemouth, the only City goal in their draw at Everton (a long time their only dropped points), goals number 2 and 3 in a 5-0 win over Palace, then the last goal in a 6-0 against Watford, followed by a de facto winner against West Brom 3-2, goal number 2 in a 7-2 win over Stoke.

Well, looking at the first couple of months of City's campaign, it does not seem to be the case, scored a last kick of the game winner at Bournemouth, the only City goal in their draw at Everton (a long time their only dropped points), goals number 2 and 3 in a 5-0 win over Palace, then the last goal in a 6-0 against Watford, followed by a de facto winner against West Brom 3-2, goal number 2 in a 7-2 win over Stoke.

For God's sake. can a man not present  uninformed conjecture as fact anymore without someone diligently checking the facts? State of this place....

• Upvote 9