You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

Could probably be doing with a right back too.  Gomez just shouldnt play there and Clyne looks fucked.

I reckon this lad will be the back-up, with Clyne either staying to provide further cover at right and left or moving on.

Farewell Bert Moron.

Liverpool to take advantage of Roma's financial issues and tempt them with record fee for goalkeeper Alisson

By Dominic King for the Daily Mail

Published: 22:30, 28 May 2018 | Updated: 22:30, 28 May 2018

Liverpool will look to benefit from Roma’s Financial Fair Play issues once again this summer when they pursue Brazil No 1 Alisson Becker.

Roma were punished by UEFA in May 2015 after reporting losses of £50million and had sanctions imposed on them for three seasons; the need to balance the books last summer meant they had no choice but to sell Mohamed Salah to Liverpool for £36.9million.

The Italians are on a stronger financial footing now, having reached the semi-finals of the Champions League, but they will again be vulnerable to big offers for key players - it is why they considered selling Edin Dzeko to Chelsea in January.

With that in mind, Liverpool will look to test Roma’s resolve for Alisson, whose reputation has continued to grow. They have been linked in the past with Stoke’s Jack Butland but Alisson is the prime target.

Liverpool are aware that it would take a world record fee for a goalkeeper to land Alisson, way beyond the £34.7million that Manchester City paid to Benfica for Ederson 12 months ago - Roma will not entertain bids that are below £60million.

That valuation seemed exorbitant in February and Karius’ form at the time had convinced Jurgen Klopp to give Loris Karius a prolonged run between the posts. The manager’s first instinct is always to find the necessary improvement from within, rather than just looking to buy.

But there are parallels with the way Liverpool recruited Virgil Van Dijk: Klopp was adamant that he was the only central defender he wanted and was prepared to pay for the quality and Alisson is now the only goalkeeper he would consider to come as a new number one.

Klopp had entrusted Karius with that role in January but his calamitous performance in the Champions League final has put his long-term future at Anfield in the balance - the mistakes against Real Madrid were not made in isolation.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5780333/Liverpool-t-tempt-Roma-record-fee-goalkeeper-Alisson.html

People shit on finishing 4th and don't want to celebrate it, but I hope they can all see how beneficial it is to be in the Champions League and also to be competitive in it. The caliber of players we have signed recently because of it is proof. We couldn't have dreamed signing the likes of Fabinho 2 years ago. 

People shit on finishing 4th and don't want to celebrate it, but I hope they can all see how beneficial it is to be in the Champions League and also to be competitive in it. The caliber of players we have signed recently because of it is proof. We couldn't have dreamed signing the likes of Fabinho 2 years ago.

People from other clubs shit on 4th place, because they usually do fuck all and just use it for the extra cash, occasionally resting players in Europe in order to win league game to make top 4 again.

We treat it as the first qualifying round of the European Cup, because that's what we're all about, we have the history, the pedigree and we're currently the second best team in Europe.

People shit on celebrating finishing 4th like you've just won a trophy. I think anyone that actually follows the current state of football knows that finishing 4th is important, but I wouldn't want our players, our manager, or our owners to see finishing 4th as something to have a party over. Hopefully we're in a position within the next season or two where finishing 4th is the minimum expectation (ie - if we don't finish 4th something went massively wrong) whilst finishing 1st and/or winning at least one of the cups we're involved in are the things worth celebrating.

• Upvote 1

People shit on celebrating finishing 4th like you've just won a trophy. I think anyone that actually follows the current state of football knows that finishing 4th is important, but I wouldn't want our players, our manager, or our owners to see finishing 4th as something to have a party over. Hopefully we're in a position within the next season or two where finishing 4th is the minimum expectation (ie - if we don't finish 4th something went massively wrong) whilst finishing 1st and/or winning at least one of the cups we're involved in are the things worth celebrating.

I agree with you; however CL football is the minimum requirement for bank rolling & attracting good squads, because football has become so fucking expensive.

We should celebrate being able to do business. So many clubs can’t.