You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

Jurgen Klopp need only look along the touchline at Antonio Conte on Sunday to see how a muddled transfer strategy can force a manager’s good work to unravel quickly.

Win or lose against Real Madrid in the Champions League final, Klopp’s second full season in charge of Liverpool has largely been a success, with all his new signings from the past 12 months proving money well spent.

Mohamed Salah has taken the headlines, but Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Andy Robertson and Virgil van Dijk have all played major roles during the Reds’ path to Kiev.

Chelsea, meanwhile, have failed to build on winning the Premier League last term, with Conte not afraid of airing his frustrations at the club’s failure to acquire his top targets.

in-art-close-icon-128x128-16481b937f87b2

–– ADVERTISEMENT ––

Instead the Blues now find themselves in a fight to merely qualify for next season’s Champions League, and anything less than a win today would all but ensure they can no longer catch their visitors from Merseyside.
TELEMMGLPICT000162000616_trans_NvBQzQNjv
Mo Salah, signed last summer, has been named footballer of the year Credit:  PA

With that in mind, Klopp is not about to rest on his laurels when it comes to adding more new faces to his already talented roster.

“We have to strengthen the squad,” he said. “Finding players that will improve the squad 200 per cent will be difficult but we have do some things to make the squad bigger.

“We want a couple of players, but are only looking for good ones. The players we bring in we will all together be 100 per cent convinced about. It’s been like this since I’ve been here and will always be like that.”

A creative midfielder is high on Klopp's shopping list as he looks for a permanent replacement for Philippe Coutinho following the Brazilian’s move to Barcelona in January.

The Reds have previously shown an interest in Monaco’s Thomas Lemar and could move again for the France international should Adam Lallana’s recent injury troubles persist.

One player who has already agreed an Anfield move, though, is Naby Keita, who will join from RB Leipzig in a deal worth in excess of £50 million.

And Klopp is hopeful the midfielder – who could yet be in Ukraine to watch his new side in their biggest game of the campaign - can add further dynamism to his side.

“If Naby wants to come to the final, then he is invited! He will have a big effect on the team immediately.

“It has been a difficult year for Naby but he has still made some outstanding performances. He will have a full pre-season here, so hopefully that will help.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/05/05/jurgen-klopp-ready-strengthen-liverpool-squad-summer-irrespective/

From the echo, albeit from Doyle rather than Pearce. Think that would my ideal trio of signings:

"Liverpool are keeping tabs on Napoli midfielder Jorginho and Borussia Dortmund's United States international Christian Pulisic.

The Reds are also monitoring Roma goalkeeper Alisson but believe a deal could be problematic due to the Serie A side's exorbitant asking price."

Can anyone explain how Pulisic is worth 80m-100m based on his performances? Barring in mind that Sanches, Deulofeu, Halilović, Shaw, Bakkali and Gabigol were projected to be superstars at a similar age and most of them have been barely spoken about since.

Signing a 19 year old for £25m, fair enough. Spending nearly £100m on one is pure insanity.

It depends though doesn't it. Let's say klopp thinks he's worth 25-30m. But then the other side is at 19 he's already the darling of the next generation of US players. From a marketing position, he's likely to be something on Beckham scale in the US. He could help pay for himself by his profile, klopp gets a player he wants, all of a sudden the fee is barely anything to do with it because we can market the shit out of him and the club the other side of the Atlantic.

Looking at the BBC Sport gossip column it is going to be chaos this summer , price wise. Chelsea want more than they paid for that Bakayoko lad who plays like he has got rickets , Ajax want £50m for an untested young centre half , Lambert says £35m would buy ‘ one of Butlands gloves’.

If the Ajax lad goes to City what would we think about a dabble for Stones ?

I still don’t think Rondon is a bad shout at his £16.5m buyout price if we want to spend big on other areas.

Looking at the BBC Sport gossip column it is going to be chaos this summer , price wise. Chelsea want more than they paid for that Bakayoko lad who plays like he has got rickets , Ajax want £50m for an untested young centre half , Lambert says £35m would buy ‘ one of Butlands gloves’.

If the Ajax lad goes to City what would we think about a dabble for Stones ?

I still don’t think Rondon is a bad shout at his £16.5m buyout price if we want to spend big on other areas.

Think you are right. I think the next 4 or 5 seasons clubs will look to make one maybe 2 big signing while promoting youth from the U23s. There is only really City would could afford to spalsh £50m on 4 players in a window even if there was no constraints by FFP or whatever is in its place.

Surely though Stones is not on our radar. I do not have any real view of Rondon except he is a bit of a yard dog.

Rondon is a far better player than Ings, Solanke or Origi.

He's not far better than Origi at all. 

Rondon is the type of striker people think would be a good plan b when in reality he would only play the last 10 minutes of games when we're desperate. Not worth the squad spot and if we ever had to rely on someone like him it would be ugly. 

I think he is better than Origi. Apart from one purple patch Origi has been ordinary although far better an option than the other two. I personally would recall Origi , add Rondon , pay for it with the sale of Ings and Sturridge, send Solanke on loan and use our megabucks on defence and midfield.

Origi is better technically, has a better goal record in England and is younger/has more potential. Rondon has been impressive at times because he's very strong and he can hold the ball, but he's not a better footballer than Origi and he's certainly not as suited to our style. 

That’s why I would keep Origi , 3stacks, and let them duke it out as 4th man , also covering injuries to either. Feel we would be in a better situation up front with a net increase to funds.Brewster could also make the move up if he gets over his injury.

Obviously if Jurgen is looking to spend big money on Wagner etc this is a non-starter but think the money will be splashed further back.

I think he is better than Origi. Apart from one purple patch Origi has been ordinary although far better an option than the other two. I personally would recall Origi , add Rondon , pay for it with the sale of Ings and Sturridge, send Solanke on loan and use our megabucks on defence and midfield.

I admire your optimism Sir, alas unless a university need spare parts for research or a knackers yard needs glue, I feel disappointment lies around the corner, especially in the case of the later. 

• Upvote 1

He's not far better than Origi at all.

Rondon is the type of striker people think would be a good plan b when in reality he would only play the last 10 minutes of games when we're desperate. Not worth the squad spot and if we ever had to rely on someone like him it would be ugly.

Agreed.

No point buying a player that's a "plan B" or "offers something different"

Every time we do that they fail because they don't play enough and don't link well with the rest of the team.

We don't need a plan B, we need a 4th man for plan A.

Plan A is what we're best at and it's what we do to blow a good number of teams away, but it's hard work and so the front 3 either tire towards the end of games, or tire from playing so many matches in quick succession.

As it stands we have 3 shit hot players, sometimes they're up against strong defensive teams and might not score, then imagine a 4th player who plays the same way, full of speed and energy coming on in the 75th minute taking the piss out of the leggy defenders, we need another Mane not some cunt that offers something different.

• Upvote 2

We should have millions and millions to spend. There is no excuse not to spend big. We need a few first teamers and more for the squad.

We are fucking loaded and have earnt fortunes.

There will if we fuck up this top 4 shit that should have been long locked up

RMC are reporting that Lyon and Liverpool have concluded an agreement for the transfer of Nabil Fékir worth €70m, including bonuses and signing a 5 year deal.  Gérard Houllier, Lyons special advisor, apparently played a major role in the negotiations.

A lot of smoke around this one, it seems.

I've said I don't know how he would fit in here, but he's a top talent, so I'd allow it, like.