You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

Finding it really tough to get excited about a Championship midfielder who couldn’t get into a pretty mediocre Porto side.

He was also the youngest captain in CL history just a couple of years previously, and linked with all the big teams in Europe. Funny how things can sometimes work with careers, especially when strange agent shenanigans are involved. Very much shades of Mascherano at West Ham perhaps?

I haven’t seen Neves play at all this season, I hasten to add, apart from that goal he scored a couple of weeks back. By all accounts he’s been really good though - talk of the best player to ever play in the Championship, I heard.

I have to be honest I haven't seen that neves guy play, but even once.

However I'm more than confident in klopps judgement. It's safe to say he does have an eye for a player.

I know there's also been talk of that maddison lad from Norwich.

Was it last year we played them in the fa Cup or league Cup? I remember watching him and thinking he looked fantastic.

This is pretty tiresome. I got it wrong with Salah sure, but let’s not pretend that it was obvious that he was gonna be this good. Even Monchi, often hailed as the most astute of football directors, admitted that he had his doubts that Salah was gonna succeed.

He didn't have to be this good to be a fantastic pick up though. His production at Roma alone was worth his price tag easily. Most people wouldn't have predicted he'd be this prolific, but plenty thought he was a seriously great buy.

This game proves to me that this team badly needs a midfielder who can control tempo, play quality passes, and retain the ball under pressure, because Henderson is not that player. He's a great squad player and has a tireless work rate which works great in certain games, but he has zero ability to control the game like a proper ball playing 6, and panics when put under pressure. Whether it's Neves or Jorginho, we desperately need someone that can control the game when we need to retain possession.

I have to be honest I haven't seen that neves guy play, but even once.

However I'm more than confident in klopps judgement. It's safe to say he does have an eye for a player.

I know there's also been talk of that maddison lad from Norwich.

Was it last year we played them in the fa Cup or league Cup? I remember watching him and thinking he looked fantastic.

He played in Scotland last year I think, on loan.

seven minuttes watching Neves says buy the fucker. But we used to scout that way and we ended up with fucking Jovanovic, Carroll et all. 

I'll let FM judge except I refuse to buy that shit game anymore, even if I had it since 1992 when it was championship manager. Ohh CM Italia was great. Fucking Van Basten and Papin up front was ace. Floppy discs were ace.

Someone edit him to 199 potential, and I'll get on the hype train.

I thought he was bang average. I very much hope we don't go for a big lump to disrupt this quick, dynamic, nimble side. I hope we don't pay tens of millions for a 32 year old. It'd make no sense.

I thought he was really good. Clever movement, good touch caused problems for our defence all night, and two quality finishes over the two legs.

He wouldn’t fit at all into the way we play though, and very doubtful he’d want to sit on the bench at his age and stature. Would be far better for him to stay at Roma.

Finding it really tough to get excited about a Championship midfielder who couldn’t get into a pretty mediocre Porto side.

He couldn't get into the Porto side? He's played almost 100 times for Porto whilst he was 16-19 years old. Do I need to run through how many games current top players had for the first team by that age?

I'm not excited by him, but that's because all I've seen are a few clips. I'm ignorant of his ability. What I'm not prepared to do is bend reality like you just did.

He played over 90 games by the time he turned 20, so not sure how he couldn't make it into the Porto side.

He struggled to get game time last season from what I’ve read but I might be wrong. I don’t know much about him.

Dzeko's top class, but getting on in years. He'd be a big upgrade on any cover we have for the front three, but I'm not sure that's a role he'd want anyway. He'd already have a great understanding with Salah too.

He was their best player by a distance over the two legs.

He couldn't get into the Porto side? He's played almost 100 times for Porto whilst he was 16-19 years old. Do I need to run through how many games current top players had for the first team by that age?

I'm not excited by him, but that's because all I've seen are a few clips. I'm ignorant of his ability. What I'm not prepared to do is bend reality like you just did.

I may have got it wrong mate. I’m really not as cynical as you seem to think I am.

• Upvote 1

He struggled to get game time last season from what I’ve read but I might be wrong. I don’t know much about him.

Neves has a weird relationship with Espirito Santos.

He was really upset with him for basically benching him for most of the 16/17 season. He spoke publicly about it and even admitted he had said he was better than some of the players playing ahead of him (which he clearly is, though he apologised for saying it later). There were a lot of clubs after him in the summer of 2017 because Porto had to sell and it was obvious the player wasn't happy.

Then Wolves, who had just hired the manager he had been so upset with, go and buy him for a knockdown bargain price, with loads of suspicion about an unconfirmed buyout clause or under-the-table payments made off the books.

It smells very strongly of agent manipulation all the way around. I don't think it's fair at all to simply say "Neves couldn't get into the Porto side" that year. There were clearly other factors at play, and one of the things I hope more than anything is that if we do buy him, we don't get involved in any of Mendes and the never-ending drama that surrounds him. I can't imagine Klopp would tolerate it long, probably just tell Ruben "listen, you can play for us and be in CL finals and compete to win the league here, or you can have that guy as your agent, you pick."