You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

When was the last player you could genuinely say that about? Our recruitment is absolutely unbelievable right now, just hit after hit after hit. Almost everyone has about 50% flops so to have none at all in the last two windows is outstanding.

Didn't really have any last year either, at least not bad ones. You have to go back to Rodgers' time and Benteke to find the last really stupid transfer we've done. I'm backing us to replicate that kind of success from the last two years again this summer, whomever we bring in.

Actually, giving it some thought, the much-maligned "transfer committee" under Rodgers was brilliant. Even their misses like Alberto and Aspas have blossomed into really good players since we sold them.

I was an enormous critic of our recruitment - both managerial choices and committee choices - in recent years, but since Klopp has come in we have done really well. The worst signing he's made has probably been Matip, who isn't even shit.

I've still got some concerns, we're by no means perfect yet, but the days where you'd look at every serious transfer story and think "WTF?" are long gone.

• Upvote 1

Zaha is at least one level, possibly six, below what should be good enough for Liverpool. Fortunately those in charge of transfers, these days, will know this.

And, he is about three levels above what Ings offers in our system. So lets see, that would be erm 3 times 6, carry the one....

The problem with Zaha is his value to Palace; they haven't picked up a single point when he's been out injured.  

I think this. I would take him because of the raw attributes and Prem experience. There is definitely a player in there and I'm sure Klopp could get more out of him in terms of goals and so on. We need depth for the front three. 

However... and it's a big however...

The price that Palace would likely want, as he's their star man and all Prem teams have money, would put Zaha in the price bracket of superior players, and at that point we should shop elsewhere. 

And, he is about three levels above what Ings offers in our system. So lets see, that would be erm 3 times 6, carry the one....

We shouldn’t just be looking for a player that’s better than Ings. Nothing other than a player of a similar level, or the potential to get there quickly, to the top three should be under any kind of consideration. Zaha is neither.

I’ve no idea if the answer to your maths question. I barely scraped a C at GCSE.

• Upvote 1

I do not get the continual downer on Ings. But for a sharp lino he would have had 2 in 2 if the goal had stood.

I do not get the continual downer on Ings. But for a sharp lino he would have had 2 in 2 if the goal had stood.

The contrast between Ings and the first choice strikers when they're on the ball is painful.

Its like watching slow motion football at times by comparison, 

Ings cannot play wide in our system as he cannot beat a man, understandable as he is a 442 English striker - so he really only is a viable option through the middle and really not that effective there on his own. There is no hate -- he is just not going to be good enough. Thats ok, better players than him have not made the step up at this club. Lets be honest as well - other than one season in the Championship the guy has never been very effective - he is a trier though.

I think Solanke gets the nod if only because he has more size and upside.

Ings looks good playing for our U 23s -- at age 26.

• Upvote 2

Solanke needs a year out on loan somewhere to see if there is actually anything there that we can work with.

My gut feeling is there isn't (not at the level we need) and he'll have a career on a par with say Cameron Jerome - playing in lower half PL sides/top Championship sides.

• Upvote 1

Zaha is a pace merchant who is strong and creative in the dribble. He struggles immensely with the team aspect of the game, and generally makes really poor choices both with and without the ball. The moaning when Garcia lost the ball 50 pct of the time with us would reach unprecedented heights when Zaha dribbles the ball into a blind alley for the umpteenth time during a match.

If Zaha was 19-20 you would think there was something to work with. Now, I'd be astonished if Klopp thought it was a good idea. I'd reckon he would flunk the initial meeting with Klopp as well.

Solanke needs a year out on loan somewhere to see if there is actually anything there that we can work with.

My gut feeling is there isn't (not at the level we need) and he'll have a career on a par with say Cameron Jerome - playing in lower half PL sides/top Championship sides.

Solanke is massively underrated on here because he's been very unlucky with finishing. His overall statistics when he's gotten on the pitch are excellent:

Dbejvq6XkAAkf1P.jpg

• Upvote 1

Solanke is massively underrated on here because he's been very unlucky with finishing. His overall statistics when he's gotten on the pitch are excellent:

Dbejvq6XkAAkf1P.jpg

I stand by the should go out on loan view.

He may be something yet, he may not....a year at a decent club playing regularly would enable us to see.

I personally don't think he is a great fit for our style.

I don’t mind Solanke and Ings, to a degree, but what I am sure about is we need a much better player than either of them to be the fourth player to go into that front three. The drop off in quality is too steep.

Solanke is young and is Ok -needs a goal or two to see if he can kick on, but he hasn’t played much. Ings was a fair to middling striker then two bad injuries, and deserves a lot of credit for getting back. I wouldn’t be surprised if we sell him, but we’ll see. Might be the wrong move since he’s only just seeing a bit of action here and there now.

I’m not wed to either. Solanke has time. But we need better than either one, this summer.

Solanke is the same age as Rashford (a month older) the difference in where they are in terms of experience and achievements as things stand is massive.

Rashford would arguably be seen as no more than decent back up to our front 3 i would guess by most...so i can't figure out how anyone could argue Solanke is up to the job as it stands.

He may suddenly explode into life but for me a year out at a reasonable level will give us a better idea.