You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

He never worked with him though did he.

You might be right there.

Anyway, I do enjoy watching Zaha. But, I think I would enjoy watching him play for Palace more than I would for us. It's all guesswork until he gets another move to a big club, but for all his ability, there is just something about him that screams 'big fish in a small pond'. I don't think he has the tactical intelligence to adapt to being a bit part player, as he probably would be here. Looks more like the type of player who might start overdoing with the dribbles in order to force his way into the first eleven.

That said, I would not exactly be devastated if we signed him. Just would not be my first choice.

• Upvote 1

I just don't see many other players around Europe who could replace all 3 of our forward players and who have the technique and pace to match.

For example, I think Mahrez is a better player than Zaha and would fit our style but he can only play on the right. 

We have the highest scoring front three in Europe so we need someone who can spell all of them so we can keep our shape. Because keeping with the Mahrez example, he can only spell Salah unless you change the formation. Zaha could play anywhere up front, which is why I think he'd be so valuable. 

How many games has Zaha played through the middle?

He's played all season as a striker in a 4-4-2, so not exactly similar to what we play, but he's shown he can play centrally at a good level. He's obviously below Firmino's level as a striker, but it would be an option. 

He's played all season as a striker in a 4-4-2, so not exactly similar to what we play, but he's shown he can play centrally at a good level. He's obviously below Firmino's level as a striker, but it would be an option.

I don’t watch much of Palace but Wikipedia tells me he’s scored 8 goals this season. And he’s been playing in a front two?

The idea of paying silly money for him is absurd. This is the kind of thing you would ordinarily mock aRdja for. Let’s say he costs £50m. That makes it the second or third most amount of money we’ll have ever payed for a player. A player who’s the very definition of a punt and one who has already failed to make the step up.

Thankfully I can’t see it happening.

• Upvote 5

I don’t watch much of Palace but Wikipedia tells me he’s scored 8 goals this season. And he’s been playing in a front two?

The idea of paying silly money for him is absurd. This is the kind of thing you would ordinarily mock aRdja for. Let’s say he costs £50m. That makes it the second or third most amount of money we’ll have ever payed for a player. A player who’s the very definition of a punt and one who has already failed to make the step up.

Fair enough. I think he makes loads of sense for the reasons I've outlined above and I don't think his goal numbers at Palace or his time at Man United are very relevant. Won't change your opinion. 

Uncalled for.

• Upvote 2

No chance he can do Firmino's job. If he was a target it will be for Mane or Salah's side

I think some fans did not want Oxlaide Chamberlane. Some doubted Mo Salah would be any good. Other clubs fans do not rate Bobby. I do not think we need to be signing galacticos or anything like. I do not know if Jurgen is interested in Zaha or it is just newspaper talk but if Jurgen wants him I am pretty sure Jurgen knows there is a player in there and he can bring him on.

There are lot's of quality players around in Europe that could score goals in our team. That's not a positive for the player, it's a positive for Klopp and his tactics. It's not a reason to go out and buy a player for big money who's underachieved his whole career simply because he's not played in a side that is set up perfectly for him to have a bit of success.

As soon as you say something like he's below so and so's level, but we'd have to fork out money you pay for a first choice player, you know it's the type of crap signing we'd make 5-10 years back when we were only half serious about wanting to challenge for the title. Hopefully we've established that buying top class players who will be first team players or will genuinely challenge for a place in first team is the way to build a squad, not spending big money on backups. That's how we'll end up back in the Europa league.

I obviously like Sessegnon, but I'm also warming to Maddison after being pretty dismissive initially. Genuinely looks like Lallana with pace. Looks like he could also be similarly if not more versatile with his extra speed, playing either wing or as the advanced player in the midfield 3.

If they got Max Meyer and him, I think i'd be ok with that for midfield reinforcements. If we got Sessegnon too, I'd still like a marqee forward in addition, Isco would be fantastic as he could play in midfield also, but another forward who's genuinely top drawer. Then a top CB and that would probably do me. Think we can give Karius another season to see how he does with two top class CB's in front of him and superior midfielders in Meyer and Keita.

All of our front three have been patchy players early in their career, i think Zaha could become brilliant for us, just like the other three

He's 26 this year, in a position on the pitch that has shorter careers than the others, it's a massive punt for a COULD be.

You said our front three were patchy earlier in their careers, I agree but this isn't early in Zahas career anymore he's only marginally younger than those three, he should be in his prime now instead he's done fuck all of any note.

He might have all the basic attributes to be a great player, but there's a reason he hasn't kicked on, and he's running out of seasons to do so.

If Klopp wants him then I'm on the bandwagon, but as it stands I wouldn't touch him because I think he's shit.

He definitely hasn't played there all season as I've seen plenty of games where he's been playing wide. The problem with Zaha, even setting aside some of his footballing flaws, is that he's going to be so expensive for someone who wouldn't be in our first choice front 3. You're probably talking £50 million absolute minimum. I think he would be a good option for us from a playing point of view, but I just couldn't see it happening. 

I rely on other people's excitement about a player and end up gutted when we fuck it up despite never having watched the player.

When was the last player you could genuinely say that about? Our recruitment is absolutely unbelievable right now, just hit after hit after hit. Almost everyone has about 50% flops so to have none at all in the last two windows is outstanding.

Didn't really have any last year either, at least not bad ones. You have to go back to Rodgers' time and Benteke to find the last really stupid transfer we've done. I'm backing us to replicate that kind of success from the last two years again this summer, whomever we bring in.

Actually, giving it some thought, the much-maligned "transfer committee" under Rodgers was brilliant. Even their misses like Alberto and Aspas have blossomed into really good players since we sold them.

• Upvote 2