You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

This might be a bit ‘out-there’, but Ilkay Gundogan. He doesn’t start for City but looks to me like he’s got to the ability to control tempo.

Looks a good player & Jurgen obviously knows and likes him. The one who has caught my eye and caused us more trouble in the games he has played is Bernardo Silva , looks a great player.

The one who has caught my eye and caused us more trouble in the games he has played is Bernardo Silva , looks a great player.

He is excellent but he regularly disappears in games. Great option to have from the bench.

You'll see him play a blinder for 15 mins and then you'd forget he was on the field. It's not a coincidence that he never really plays the full 90 mins. I'd reckon he's prob played 90 mins in half of the games he's been involved in this season.

I reckon we’ll make two top class additions this summer (on top of the Keita deal): a versatile front three player and classy number six. After that it’ll be kids, freebies and left-field signings (all of whom will be good fits but low on outlay).

As for outgoings, unless some players (Moreno maybe?) ask to go, I reckon Klopp will only be looking at Mig, Can and Sturridge leaving - and in fact, each of them clearly wants to leave anyway.

Of the other loaners, I reckon Harry Wilson will be integrated into the first team squad and Origi will be sold/re-loaned out. The rest, who knows/cares?

• Upvote 1

The great thing is we do not need to bring in any old players. I am sure Klopp knows what he needs to strengthen the side and I would not be surprised if that differs a lot from what some fans want or expect.

Klopp knows he is not going to get a class striker to sit on the bench. Even if he did bring in another striker, he is not going to move Bobby from his position. I would not be surprised to see Origi back with Ings going out on loan next season. If Moreno decides he wants regular games elsewhere he might look to bring in back up for Robbo. With Can going even with Keita coming in, I think he might look to bring in a DM as well. Karius continues to show improvement and I think any talk of Alisson is just that. Maybe Ward will step up as his back up when Mignolet leaves in the summer.

Quality not quantity is the way now.

Can, Sturridge, Markovic, Moreno, Bogdan and Migs leaving is quite conceivable, but we usually find it tough to get anything other than loans for one or two players. Ward could be on his way too, as two youngish keepers rarely settle in the same squad.

Markovic is the new Aquilani and will be loaned until his contract expires.

Sturridge will be here until his contract expires. No one is mental enough to pay him 150 grand a week to sit in his flat or on the treatment table for 12 months.

I reckon someone will be willing to pay him close to that, but aren't willing to pay the transfer fee too.

That what he's waiting around for.

Sturridge will be here until his contract expires. No one is mental enough to pay him 150 grand a week to sit in his flat or on the treatment table for 12 months.

West Brom have just done that for half a Season.  Desperate Managers do desperate things.

I reckon someone will be willing to pay him close to that, but aren't willing to pay the transfer fee too.

That what he's waiting around for.

After his episode at West Brom (expensive, no impact loan, immediately get injured as expected), who would want him now? 

Out:

Can, Migs, Markovic, Bogdan, Sturridge.

In:

Keita

Rabiot/Jorginho/top midfielder

Werner/Draxler/top front three operator

Couple of talented kids

Experienced back up goalie 

We are in a great position. We have money to spend. We have a man with a plan at the helm. And we are a compelling side. 

In years gone by we needed drastic surgery. Not any more. Just a bit more building required, by a master builder, so we have the squad to keep it going for a title challenge. 

• Upvote 1

I have a feeling we’ll go for Iker Casillas as back up to Karius in the summer.

Which I feel would be massively beneficial for all parties. Iker gets a last crack at a top side in England. Karius has a top goalie to push him and also learn from.

And if Karius gets injured/hits bad form then we have a top goalie waiting in the wings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a feeling we’ll go for Iker Casillas as back up to Karius in the summer.

Which I feel would be massively beneficial for all parties. Iker gets a last crack at a top side in England. Karius has a top goalie to push him and also learn from.

And if Karius gets injured/hits bad form then we have a top goalie waiting in the wings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He’s not a top keeper anymore, his experience would be invaluable though. Adding more winners to the squad whether they play much or not can only be a good thing for people like Robertson, Karius, Trent etc to develop winning habits off.

I haven't seen much of Zaha since he was fairly anonymous at yeeeernited. I only get to watch out games and some highlights here and there. Has he really pushed on?

I’ve seen a bit of Zaha. He’s certainly a very skillful player, and very physical. His final ball is a erratic and he loses the ball quite a bit. He’d be a decent back up to Mane IMO; better skilled but worse output.

I think we’ll give Sturridge a free which he’ll accept as it allows him to get close to his current wages at another club while having a chance of actually playing. It may be a small chance, but it’s better than the no chance he’ll have with us.

I think we’ll give Sturridge a free which he’ll accept as it allows him to get close to his current wages at another club while having a chance of actually playing. It may be a small chance, but it’s better than the no chance he’ll have with us.

Do you think any club will want him after this West Brom debacle?

I reckon we’ll have to loan him out somewhere whilst paying all his wages in the hope he stays fit for a couple of weeks before someone will be willing to sign him to a contract.

One year.

That sounds about right. He will either be released from his contract with a negotiation on a settlement or someone will sign him on a free transfer. Perhaps someone in China will sign him or perhaps Australia or possibly a team in America.

I don't think there will be a loan other than one of these types of teams and I certainly don't see him staying at the club.

Zaha, yes he's effective at what he does, he's quick, direct, turns defenders inside out - needs better end product though in terms of his final ball, his finishing and also being in positions to score. He also does a serious amount of complaining about being fouled. I think he'd be a decent option but he'd be far too dear to even consider buying for that purpose, I would say.

Do you think any club will want him after this West Brom debacle?

I reckon we’ll have to loan him out somewhere whilst paying all his wages in the hope he stays fit for a couple of weeks before someone will be willing to sign him to a contract.

I think you’re chronically underestimating the desperation for goals below the top six. At least half the managers in the league would take a punt on him on a free. No doubt there’d be suitable clauses regarding his fitness in any contract he signed, but I have no doubt he’d get a club.