You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Huddersfield 0 Liverpool 3 (January 30 2018)

tlw content

huddersfieldreport2.jpg

We needed this. Needed it badly. While it was premature to be talking about a crisis, there has been a simmering discontent bubbling under with the fans of late, and although it will take more than this to pacify those who are understandably disgruntled, there would have been open revolt if we’d lost again.

The two defeats in a week were a concern, but most of the frustration and anger was about the weakening of the squad we’ve seen during this transfer window. The last two games merely highlighted concerns that were already there. Those results were seen by many as a consequence of our lack of incomings to compensate for the significant outgoings. 

Those valid concerns won’t go away just because of a win over Huddersfield, or even a win over Spurs this weekend. They probably won’t go away at all actually. Every setback and poor result we have between now and the end of the season will be attributed to the inexcusable weakening of our attacking options this month. The trick for Klopp is to make sure those setbacks are so few and far between that we begin to talk about the progress on the pitch rather than the lack of spending. 

Klopp is taking a huge gamble and only time will tell if it pays off or not. Personally I’m highly sceptical and more than a little pissed off, but the next week or two will be crucial because there’s a chance for us to put some significant daylight between ourselves and the two North London clubs in the battle for fourth place. And fourth now seems to be the height of our ambition after this month. A few weeks ago I was confident of second, but this window has changed all that and just hanging onto fourth will be difficult enough now. 

I’m happy with the three points but I don’t think there was too much in the performance to change the perception that we’re going to continue to struggle against this type of approach. We found it hard to create too many clear chances but it at least looks like Klopp has been working on some ways to do it. Twice we saw a diagonal run inside from Mané and a ball over the top to pick him out from Can, and that really ought to have paid off more than it did. 

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full report

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. If you are not currently registered on the site, sign up for free and receive a FREE no obligation trial subscription, which gives you access to all the members only content for ONE MONTH.

Not really sure how one league defeat to Swansea who have since beaten Arsenal and an FA Cup defeat to West Brom admittedly not a good showing but a goal post penalty the difference between a defeat and a draw has suddenly meant we are not in with a shout of 3rd even if 2nd may be looking unlikely. Seems everyone expects instant improvement.

• Upvote 2

Most people are not saying we can't though are they

People are saying(most) that we are taking a massive risk relying on Salah,Firmino and Mane staying fit and able to play most weeks. We have left ourselves vulnerable. Even those pissed off want us to do it

Most people are not saying we can't though are they

People are saying(most) that we are taking a massive risk relying on Salah,Firmino and Mane staying fit and able to play most weeks. We have left ourselves vulnerable. Even those pissed off want us to do it

I will go with the manager right now. You keep trotting out the most people are not saying that but these are the same people saying we have not won any trophy for  6 years despite Klopp only being here 2 full seasons and a bit.

Whats the trophy got to do with anything

My point is you are making out everyone pissed off that we have not brought in any players are acting like whinging kids,when the vast majority have seen us pull this shit before and its cost us and do not want to see it happening again. Barring the odd nutters moaning about Klopp,everything most are constructive points. We failed to strengthen in a couple of winter windows recently and it cost us big time. We need this to work or it will be a long summer trying to convince players to join a club that has won next to fuck all in over 10 years and only made the knockout stages of the champions league once in nearly a decade.

• Upvote 1

Not really sure how one league defeat to Swansea who have since beaten Arsenal and an FA Cup defeat to West Brom admittedly not a good showing but a goal post penalty the difference between a defeat and a draw has suddenly meant we are not in with a shout of 3rd even if 2nd may be looking unlikely. Seems everyone expects instant improvement.

You are in such a rush to have a pop at others as usual that what you have written above makes no sense...you are questioning why people are downplaying expectation then accusing people of wanting instant improvement....

You are in such a rush to have a pop at others as usual that what you have written above makes no sense...you are questioning why people are downplaying expectation then accusing people of wanting instant improvement....

Again hahaha. Just because someone has a different opinion it is having a pop as you put it. You need to wind your neck in mate and understand people are allowed to express a difference of opinion. Just because they are doing that does not mean they are having a pop. If you were sat in a pub opposite me I would say the same thing to your face. Stop making out people with a different opinion are having a pop at anything. They are not.

Again hahaha. Just because someone has a different opinion it is having a pop as you put it. You need to wind your neck in mate and understand people are allowed to express a difference of opinion. Just because they are doing that does not mean they are having a pop. If you were sat in a pub opposite me I would say the same thing to your face. Stop making out people with a different opinion are having a pop at anything. They are not.

Most people here express their opinions - you largely just criticise others opinions...and as i said you have fallen over yourself doing so in the post i quoted.

Most people here express their opinions - you largely just criticise others opinions...and as i said you have fallen over yourself doing so in the post i quoted.

No people like you like to put it out there that I am criticising others because I have a different outlook. You just see certain posts from people not of your mindset as criticisms every single time. That is ok I guess. It is your opinion. Just does not make you right.

No people like you like to put it out there that I am criticising others because I have a different outlook. You just see certain posts from people not of your mindset as criticisms every single time. That is ok I guess. It is your opinion. Just does not make you right.

I'll happily debate with anyone it is what makes a forum....sweeping statements like you tend to make about people are not IMO helpful in debate - but there you go just how I see it.

In the spirit of good discourse I'd be interested to hear your thoughts for example on the O.P's comments about our weakening the squads attacking options and "gamble" as I know this is something you have called me out for talking about a fair bit and is of course a hot potato at the mo...

I'll happily debate with anyone it is what makes a forum....sweeping statements like you tend to make about people are not IMO helpful in debate - but there you go just how I see it.

In the spirit of good discourse I'd be interested to hear your thoughts for example on the O.P's comments about our weakening the squads attacking options and "gamble" as I know this is something you have called me out for talking about a fair bit and is of course a hot potato at the mo...

You see there you go again. Accusing others of making sweeping statements and then making them yourself. You say you happily debate with anyone then earlier you go on about people in your view of having a different outlook as criticising. No. Look at yourself first and stop seeing any view or outlook that is different to yours as being critical. It is not. It is just different. I do not think our squad is weakened. I keep telling you I am happy to go with what Jurgen believes.

The most pleasing thing for e last night was the intelligence shown by the team, probably down to the presence of Henderson and Milner. They realised that we didn't need to go gung ho at 2-0, even at 1-0, but just needed to keep the ball. Full backs were selective as to when to bomb on and we mostly focussed on keeping the ball moving, and picking and choosing when to push the ball into the front players. The onus was on Huddersfield to push forward and pressure us in our own half, and it's not our problem that they weren't interested. It was hilarious that BT were pissed off that it didn't turn into a typical Liverpool match when we end up shipping goals, panicking and have a chaotic last 10 minutes, when anything can happen.

You see there you go again. Accusing others of making sweeping statements and then making them yourself. You say you happily debate with anyone then earlier you go on about people in your view of having a different outlook as criticising. No. Look at yourself first and stop seeing any view or outlook that is different to yours as being critical. It is not. It is just different. I do not think our squad is weakened. I keep telling you I am happy to go with what Jurgen believes.

I called you out for what i see as sweeping statements that you make - things like 'people are moaning about trophies' 'people just want success now' 'people are negative' etc....me calling you on that isn't me making sweeping statements that is me calling you out individually about your approach.

Anyway - you don't see squad as being weakened and are happy to go with what Jurgen believes - great....I hope he is right - i fear it is a gamble and will not pay off though...but time will tell.

Dave, is that the first report you have ever written that doesn't include a single swear word? I was looking forward to some fruity invective and it's all "fine margins" and "such is football". You've changed, man.

Just glad I haven't had to check words like egregious on google.

• Upvote 1

Don't really get the pessimism Dave. You'd think we'd messed up at Huddersfield.

As for weakening the squad, Klopp is not a cheque book manager and values the team over the individual. Coutinho it seems wanted out and could have become a disruptive influence like Sanchez appears to have been at Arsenal. Who exactly should we have bought to replace him?

We have Ings, Solanke and Lallana (at some point) available. Sturridge is hardly ever available, so shifting him on to WBA loses us very little I would say.

Yes, I will go with the manager's decision...he is right more often than not.

• Upvote 2