You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

FAO: Hysterical fannies

Bjornebye

I think the difference between Robertson/Gomez/Karius and Moreno/TAA/Mignolet is negligible.  To prove it, the first three lost to Swansea City the other day. 

I agree there isn't heaps of difference, but the three that lost to Swansea couldn't have done a great deal about that goal in all honesty,  it was one of them shit goals.

I'm somewhere in the middle.

Our lack of trophies over the past 10 years isn't great. But, we've been in a position to add to our tally over that period, which is a very small "winning without winning" crumb of comfort.

I'm also not entirely happy with the way things are being ran off the pitch. The squad looks too thin now. And the midfield is too samey. And the creative spark is sunning himself in Catalonia. The goalkeeper situation is bordering on criminal. The two keepers competing for number 1 will never be good enough if we have lofty ambitions.

But, for the overall transfer policy, I don't know enough to comment. If we look at it back over a period of years, it looks like a repetition of FSG giving us the usual annual net spend of a max of £20-30m. But, then if we look at Klopp's approach to the transfer market, it could also be a case of him being happy to wait to get the players he wants rather than just bodies in for the sake of it.

On Klopp and the overall title of the thread, there are people out there saying he should be sacked. They're the hysterical fannies of the thread title and, Stig is correct, they need to fuck off.

We have these meltdowns all the time after a couple of defeats. Meltdowns were we ignore the bigger picture. Klopp isn't perfect. He does seem a bit naive at times, tactically, regarding the need for a holding midfielder, for full backs to sometimes just stay at home and about how to close out a game or just have a breather. Plus, he's been here long enough now that if we start next season without a good enough keeper and a bit of variety in midfield, then it's on him.

But, the positives are there too. Our attacking play. Salah. Back in the Champions League. Two finals reached. A points tally so far this season that could be 4-6 points higher if not for individual and refereeing mistakes. Such a tally would have us clinging on to a title challenge if it wasn't for City's extraordinary form.

So, while there's no harm having a moan and highlighting legitimate concerns, those calling for the manager's head after a bad week, who weren't doing so before the Swansea defeat and probably won't be if we win the next couple of games, can proper go and swivel.

• Upvote 1

Don't know about anyone else but i couldn't give a shite what he does or does not do there.

yep. Never got the whole Suarez has done this for Barca or even on my twitter timeline people posting Lucas getting an assist playing in Italy. Once players leave us I couldn’t give a fuck what they do.

You can reproduce what you like. The fact is this club is operating in a different environment to what it was 5 years ago never mind 10. And Im not talking about ownership Im talking greater spending power of at least 3 other clubs. Chelsea United and City. Even between them the mix has has changed as first Chelsea outspent everyone then City and now it seems United going toe to toe with them. Arsenal could have outspent us at any time in the last 10 years even with their stadium costs. Only Wengers opinion stopped them. Spurs have at the very least matched us on targets although I suspect they will find themselves under intense pressure as Spains big two now start to take a keen interest in Kane, Dele Alli and manager Pochettino. When we were winning the odd League Cup and FA Cup fans were saying they wanted the league and the cups were a poor substitue. Now fans are saying any cup much like just buy any player. I seen post on here where some talk about expectations being lowered. It seems some peoples expectations have been so lowered that challenging for the league title is now something from a bygone era and instead we should concentrate on winning a cup, any cup. Jesus the spin some people put out there to suit is pretty amazing.

The same arguments have been made since 2003 the only difference is City emerging.

I had this argument when Rafa was here. I'm convinced that had Rafa won the league in his first season but struggled in Europe the same people who wanted him gone for domestic reasons would be cryarsing and wanting him gone for not winning the European Cup.

This place especially was poisonous between 2007-2010.

Well of course it is a chasm. Can spurs spend like City United and Chelsea. Can Arsenal.  We have just seen United spunk 600 grand a week on wages to pay Sanchez. They would have had to pay £35m as well to Arsenal if they had not done the player swap. There is your chasm right there.

It never ceases to amaze me that so many people think LFC are in the top 10 richest and then do not realise how big the chasm from 10th to top 4 rich list and hence spending power is. If you check the top 10 rich list now I think you find we have dropped to 9th or 10th and that is with the additional capacity. We may climb back to 8th next year with this seasons CL money but I would not guarantee it. And the chasm even from 8th to top 4 is still massive. That is the reality.

I'm not necessarily comparing us with the 'top 4'.  Top 4 being UTD, Barcelona, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich.  I'm comparing our paltry spend with the supposed value and revenue worth of the club.  The link below  shows us sitting 13th in the premier league in a measurement of nett spend on players over the last 5 years. 

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/premier-league-last-five-seasons/transfer-league-tables/premier-league-table-last-five-seasons

It shows our average spend at around £10m per annum.  So not only are we not competing with the 'top 4' in the rich league, or even those from positions 5-10 in this 'rich' league.  Within our own league we compare unfavourably against the likes of Watford, Brighton, WBA, etc.

• Upvote 1