You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Premier League Round Up (Jan 20-21 2018)

tlw content

hodgson_thearsenal.jpg

I was about to describe this as an “Ed Sheeran of a week”, but that wouldn't be right as Spurs dropped points, so unlike Sheeran it wasn’t all bad. It was fucking shit and made me miserable though, so maybe more of a Sam Smith?  

Had we taken care of our own business against Swansea it would have been Olly Murs (some good, more bad) as there had been no reason to think that any of our rivals would drop points anyway. Us shitting the bed at the Liberty puts a much more negative spin on things though. There really wasn't much to feel good about this week unfortunately. 

First the worst - United winning 1-0 at Burnley. Well of course it had to be 1-0, what else would it be? The only was it was ever going to be anything other than 1-0 to either side was if it was 0-0. I didn’t watch any of it, why would I? I wouldn’t watch United even if they were playing someone entertaining, but I avoided this one in the same way I avoid salad. Honestly, this is defo the way to go. Not the unhealthy eating part, the bit about not watching Mourinho's United. Don't watch United unless you know they've been beat and your life will be that little bit more enjoyable. Fuck Mourinho, fuck his team, fuck Alexis Sanchez and his dogs, and fuck Burnley too.

Moving on, and one team who nobody could ever describe as dull, either on the pitch or off it, is Arsenal. They were doing Arsenal things again this week. Supposedly in crisis and on the brink of collapse, they blew away Palace and then beat Chelsea to reach a cup final. They're just so predictably unpredictable. When they’re doing well you know they’ll trip themselves up when you least expect it, but when it looks like the sky is falling on them they win some games at a canter and give a collective gallic shrug as if to say ‘what’s all the drama about?’ 

They put three past Palace in the opening 13 minutes on Saturday. Hell, they were even scoring from corners, and even bigger HELL, Alex Iwobi scored (can't just be me who thinks he's shite?). The fourth goal came on 22 minutes and it was the pick of the bunch. Absolutely brilliant football that was. 

Not that any of this should have been too surprising after the Hodge’s pissing on chips speech after Palace had won last week. I could imagine his team talk before this one. “Now lads, I know you’ve been on a good run lately but don’t let that fool you. You’re still crap and nobody expects you to do anything against the Arsenal today (note: Roy always calls them ‘the Arsenal’) so just go out there and try not to embarrass yourselves too much”. 

Palace did show some fight in the second half and Benteke missed his customary one v one with the keeper before Milovojevic eventually grabbed a consolation. Roy was actually delighted with that and was pleased that having gone 4-0 down his team not only didn’t fall further behind but actually got the margin down to three. The fact that Arsenal stopped playing with the game already won seems to be lost on the old boy.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. If you are not currently registered on the site, sign up for free and receive a FREE no obligation trial subscription, which gives you access to all the members only content for ONE MONTH.

• Upvote 1

Surely Roy would say:-

'On a good wun' and 'You're all still cwap'.

Or is the world too PC for a speech impediment gag these days?

Not gonna lie, it crossed my mind, but it felt like a cheap shot. I love a cheap shot as much as anyone, but that one felt a bit low. It's not like there aren't enough things to take the piss out of without grabbing that particular low hanging fruit.

GOT currently have a thread based on some random rumor that Sam is set to be sacked after the Leicester game.

It would make perfect sense. He's done what they hired him to do, and now the man they wanted is available so why wouldn't you go and get him?