You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Football Hipster Behaviour

Section_31

A lad on fb posted a tribute to Jimmy Armfield on the day he died, with the caption "probably England's greatest ever right back".

The lad was born in 1990.  Not sure how he can base this on a huge amount, apart from wikipedia and hearsay.  

Exactly the same reason why i always say Maradona is better than Pele, because i actually saw Maradona play, whereas i only saw bits of Pele playing and the clips they always trot out of Pele just show him missing. The shot from the halfway line, the one where he fools the keeper by running past him the wrong way, and the Banks save. Overrated.

A lad on fb posted a tribute to Jimmy Armfield on the day he died, with the caption "probably England's greatest ever right back".

The lad was born in 1990.  Not sure how he can base this on a huge amount, apart from wikipedia and hearsay.  

Exactly the same reason why i always say Maradona is better than Pele, because i actually saw Maradona play, whereas i only saw bits of Pele playing and the clips they always trot out of Pele just show him missing. The shot from the halfway line, the one where he fools the keeper by running past him the wrong way, and the Banks save. Overrated.

That's true actually. You sometimes see clips of a handful of goals for Brazil, and no clips of the 5 million other goals he apparently scored in his career. Other than that, it's those 3 attempts at the 1970 World Cup which DIDN'T go in.

The St Pauli one is a good shout.

Going to obscure European teams games because you already did Barcelona, Dortmund and Madrid and all the pesky other people have latched onto doing it due to the better availability of flights and tickets.

Some lad I played footy with made out he was Phileas Fogg for going to the Nou Camp and Bernabeu. Once other people he knew started going he ramped it up a bit by going to second division German games and 3rd tier Spanish ones. There's nothing wrong with doing something different but he only did it as a reaction to other people doing what he thought was hipster a few years ago.

• Upvote 2

That's true actually. You sometimes see clips of a handful of goals for Brazil, and no clips of the 5 million other goals he apparently scored in his career. Other than that, it's those 3 attempts at the 1970 World Cup which DIDN'T go in.

To be fair, there is video footage of loads of Pele's goals.

Claiming that, despite our usual rivalry, Gary Neville 'talks a lot of sense'.

Liking Barcelona

Liking an American sports team because the owners of LFC are American, the more obscure the better like the San Andreas Assfucks.

Owning a Pele' New York Cosmos shirt your bought from Toffs

starting threads about other people's likes...

I find the professional anti football hipster more entertaining.

Turns their nose up at the Clásico, thinks tactics are all nonsense, refuses to pronounce a foreign name properly in case they end up sounding "a bit foreign", refuses to believe someone might have heard of a player that plays for a decent German or Spanish team, thinks Serie A is boring and defensive despite not having seen a game from Italy in over a decade, thinks diving is the worst crime in the game, thinks biting/spitting/anything deemed "a bit foreign" is much worse than being elbowed in the head or a two footed potential career ending challenge.

Allardyce behaviour.

• Upvote 1

Just read somewhere that football hipsters have got their claws into non-league footy. Ultras, daft one-upmanship, etc. Load of bollocks.

Guilty as charged on that one.  Been to see York City and Worthing FC, the latter quite a few times.

*altogether now*

We're not Real Madrid (yet)

We're not Barcelona (yet)

We are Worthing Football Club 

And George Dowell is our owner

Rebel 'til I die.

Guilty as charged on that one.  Been to see York City and Worthing FC, the latter quite a few times.

*altogether now*

We're not Real Madrid (yet)

We're not Barcelona (yet)

We are Worthing Football Club 

And George Dowell is our owner

Rebel 'til I die.

I genuinely prefer non-league to Premier League.