You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Any twitchers out there?

Champ

Penguins are well cooler than Walruses. They are just fat seals with bad teeth.

Seals, otters and killer whales are all over the place here. A walrus is just a big fat lazy bastard compared to them.. Ooh look at my big teeth.

Penguins rock and are a type of biscuit.

Penguins are well cooler than Walruses. They are just fat seals with bad teeth.

Seals, otters and killer whales are all over the place here. A walrus is just a big fat lazy bastard compared to them.. Ooh look at my big teeth.

Penguins rock and are a type of biscuit.

Killer Whales are ace,but not in Sea Life centres.

Outside my flat one of the old girls put up a feeder thing and I looked out and there was a sparrow on it but then realused it had a rust coloured crown, it was a North American Chipping sparrow, must of been blown miles off course , made up and it was still here a few days ago.

Now I don’t know if it’s just because I’ve been looking out for them or because of the feeders we’ve put up or a bit of both but our garden is teeming with birds. Spotted over the last day or two, robins, starlings, goldfinches, bullfinches, sparrows, dunnocks, blackbirds as well as the horrible magpies, seagulls, pigeons and assorted members of the crow family

• 1 month later...

My kid's always been wildlife crazy and we've started doing some serious wildlife watching the last few year.

I work in a college that used to be an agriculture one. There's loads of land and a lake. There's still some agriculture type work going on but they've gone very environmental friendly the last few years. New woodlands planted, native hedging, various meadows. The RSPB and Ulster Wildlife have both become involved.

Anyway, we did a bit of spotting yesterday for an hour at lunch. Came across the following in the lake, over 100 mute swans, 50 or so Canadian geese, a couple of Greylag geese, a few moorhens, a heron, over 30 cormorants in flight, a few mallards and a diving duck that was just too far away to identify.

In the woodlands and hedging, at least a dozen goldfinches, 30+ starlings, 20+ thrushes (too fast to know what type), a small flock of long tailed tits, a couple of willow warblers, loads of reed bundings, a sedge warbler, meadow pipets, 2 tree creepers and the normal bluetits, robin, wren, great tits etc. There were a few birds that we just couldn't identify, too fast.

It's amazing how nature flourishes when there provided with habitat that then has no interference from humans  except for the mowing of paths.

I went to Skomer on Saturday. A major pain in the arse to get to, but having puffins hopping nonchalantly around your feet is an interesting experience. Also one of the few places you can see choughs in the UK (crows with long curved red beaks). It's also the world's most important breeding site for Manx shearwaters, although they're only active in the evening, the only trace of them in the daytime being corpses strewn about the place.

My kid's always been wildlife crazy and we've started doing some serious wildlife watching the last few year.

I work in a college that used to be an agriculture one. There's loads of land and a lake. There's still some agriculture type work going on but they've gone very environmental friendly the last few years. New woodlands planted, native hedging, various meadows. The RSPB and Ulster Wildlife have both become involved.

Anyway, we did a bit of spotting yesterday for an hour at lunch. Came across the following in the lake, over 100 mute swans, 50 or so Canadian geese, a couple of Greylag geese, a few moorhens, a heron, over 30 cormorants in flight, a few mallards and a diving duck that was just too far away to identify.

In the woodlands and hedging, at least a dozen goldfinches, 30+ starlings, 20+ thrushes (too fast to know what type), a small flock of long tailed tits, a couple of willow warblers, loads of reed bundings, a sedge warbler, meadow pipets, 2 tree creepers and the normal bluetits, robin, wren, great tits etc. There were a few birds that we just couldn't identify, too fast.

It's amazing how nature flourishes when there provided with habitat that then has no interference from humans except for the mowing of paths.

Tree Creepers are boss as are all the Warblers , some good sightings there.

I went to Skomer on Saturday. A major pain in the arse to get to, but having puffins hopping nonchalantly around your feet is an interesting experience. Also one of the few places you can see choughs in the UK (crows with long curved red beaks). It's also the world's most important breeding site for Manx shearwaters, although they're only active in the evening, the only trace of them in the daytime being corpses strewn about the place.

I didn't know you could do this, was it from Martin's Haven? 

I didn't know you could do this, was it from Martin's Haven?

Correct. You have to get there pretty early in the morning to guarantee a place on the ferry, especially in the popular months (May/June), not so bad in the third week of July, but obviously the later you go, the bigger the risk the puffins have departed for the year.